Chord Hugo
Apr 25, 2014 at 12:12 AM Post #2,341 of 15,694
You have stated you have had no problems several times but that doesn't negate that people are having troubles with BT.  I appreciate the theory that earphone leads being the problem, but I doubt it. I heard static when using BT when the only wire connection to the Hugo was good quality RSA cables out to a headphone amp, and when I switch input to USB the static went away.

Several people who have aptx codex have reported problems, so something seems to be up.  For many of us, the quality of bluetooth doesn't really matter, because the most common version of aptX codex is going to hold the Hugo back... it only goes up to [COLOR=252525]384 kbit/s, not good enough for me when doing serious listening.  In other words, the quality (or even presence of BlueTooth) has virtually no impact on my buying decision.  It's a "That could be cool.  Every now and again it might be useful."[/COLOR]

Seems like there is near universal negative experience when paired with lower grade BT codex  (most iDevices users).  When I demoed the Hugo I had audible static when using BlueTooth.  I didn't comment on it at the time because it is very unlikely that I would ever use BlueTooth. I would use the [COLOR=252525]Hugo via USB or [/COLOR][COLOR=252525]optically connected.  I have come to expect sound quality limitations from BT, but my iDevices do pair with a number of other BT devices without the same level of static (though I have the same static problem with my Jawbone Jambox).[/COLOR]

[COLOR=252525]--Mark[/COLOR]

Hi Mark

Please don't misunderstand , I don't like the blue tooth connection too :D
Like what already mentioned in previous page back , the best SQ from Hugo are :
Coax > USB high res > optical cable >> blue tooth

Apr 25, 2014 at 12:19 AM Post #2,342 of 15,694
I just connected the Hugo to my iPhone via Bluetooth. Other than trying to figure out the four digit code there were no issues. Via onkyo hi fi player I streamed all types of music from flac to dsd. The light stayed red on Hugo so that shows lowest Rez. No noise or issues. Sounds fine to me. No buzz or hiss or background noise. So here is one Hugo unit that sounds just fine. Not as good as via HD USB or coax but for BT pretty darn good. No issues.

Apr 25, 2014 at 12:23 AM Post #2,343 of 15,694
I just connected the Hugo to my iPhone via Bluetooth. Other than trying to figure out the four digit code there were no issues. Via onkyo hi fi player I streamed all types of music from flac to dsd. The light stayed red on Hugo so that shows lowest Rez. No noise or issues. Sounds fine to me. No buzz or hiss or background noise. So here is one Hugo unit that sounds just fine. Not as good as via HD USB or coax but for BT pretty darn good. No issues.

y6a4u5e5.jpg

Apr 25, 2014 at 1:39 AM Post #2,344 of 15,694

Pls quote what earphones/headphones and their impedance when you report if noisy or quiet bluetooth inputs.

Let me start:
UE18 pro 21ohms extremely noisy even if paused no music
Sony EX1000 32ohms less noisy but same effects as above

I suspect lower impedance earphones will notice this more easily
[edited with correct impedance for UE18 pro]

Apr 25, 2014 at 1:52 AM Post #2,345 of 15,694
Some experienced member mentioned that the bluetooth shares the same frequency range as wifi and it will likely prone to interferences when use in a busy wifi area eg. office

Apr 25, 2014 at 2:00 AM Post #2,346 of 15,694
Some experienced member mentioned that the bluetooth shares the same frequency range as wifi and it will likely prone to interferences when use in a busy wifi area eg. office

Yes BT shares the same frequency as 2.4Ghz wifi but this happens even when no wifi signals nearby and I don't have the same issues on my other BT headsets.  Chord did mention they only use BT as a transport without a dedicated BT chip to decode the signal and routes it to their DAC so perhaps the Hugo is picking up extraneous noise then amplifies it.  I only use 5Ghz wifi so shouldn't have inteference from BT.  Plus the fact it's still noisy when I disable all wifi at home.

Apr 25, 2014 at 2:08 AM Post #2,347 of 15,694
On another note, what headphones pair well with the Hugo, I'm using UE18 pros and have ordered the JH Roxannes but want to max my enjoyment from the Hugo so will consider full size cans.  My only consideration is isolation as I hate hearing outside noises.  I enjoy clarity and layering.  Feel free to mention any particularly worthy cans, thanks.

Apr 25, 2014 at 2:09 AM Post #2,348 of 15,694
Small batteries have greater internal resistance to DC current flow;which can affect sound quality in portable devices like my hugo.The internal DC resistance in large can be MUCH lower and make portable devices sound MUCH better.Hugo's small portable batteries are the ONLY THING THAT IS KEEPING THIS BEAST ON IT'S LEACH sound quality wise.The hugo is GREAT dac and headphone amp that is constrained by design for portable use. I put my own 3a/16pro on to a big battery and found myself at a whole different level sound quality wise. THE HUGO RUNNING ON IT'S OWN BATTERIES IS LIKE YOU RUNNING E85 IN YOUR CAR!

Richard at Aum Acoustics is an authorized Chord Hugo dealer that bypassed Hugo's batteries differently with even greater results.Both of us have high end home systems and good ears.

"•The reference power supply to the DAC is crucial, this is very low noise and low impedance, with individual references per channel"

This is from the master class ppt. It seems chord has seriously considered the power problems.

I read the aumacoustic. The problem of batteries is addressed but not solved anyway. A USB to spdif converter and a power supply are introduced but the internal battery is still there... It's no way a modification to bypass batteries.

Apr 25, 2014 at 2:31 AM Post #2,349 of 15,694
"•The reference power supply to the DAC is crucial, this is very low noise and low impedance, with individual references per channel"

This is from the master class ppt. It seems chord has seriously considered the power problems.

I read the aumacoustic. The problem of batteries is addressed but not solved anyway. A USB to spdif converter and a power supply are introduced but the internal battery is still there... It's no way a modification to bypass batteries.

So, what are you saying?  There is no way to modify or bypass the Hugo batteries?  What about replacing the batteries.

Apr 25, 2014 at 2:46 AM Post #2,351 of 15,694
Here is the confusing part, designers normally use battery as it is much cleaner than most PSU system out there, I think we are pondering on a non-existing problem. 

Apr 25, 2014 at 4:31 AM Post #2,354 of 15,694
I fail to even fathom the connection you are trying to make here about the (exemplary, cutting-edge technology, exceptional, ingenious, advanced, best in the world, without equal) Chord Hugo.  So your saying it isn't as it stands with the novel BT capability?
The chord guys could only work within the available BT audio protocols that are current in phones today. ie it's a limited audio performance transmission medium that was designed into the Hugo as a last resort close range pairing choice from your phone in your hand to your Hugo in your pocket. It seems from your detailed descriptions that many of the issues lie within the realms of the transmitting devices and or software and The wish that a2dp could be as good as a solid link. Unfortunately at this time it can't! But next year who knows !

Apr 25, 2014 at 5:01 AM Post #2,355 of 15,694
Ok, I managed to use a workaround with the flight attenuator from my old TF10 box:

Basically a 100 ohm resistor so I guess an impedance adaptor will work, 100 ohm maybe overkill but I have no other impedance adaptor to test with.  The noise is gone but volume is dramatically lower so have to pump it up on the Hugo to compensate.  Before I was using white light on volume but with this I have to step it up to green.

Not prefect but want to try a lower resistor load and see where the noise disappears.

Anyone else with noisy BT want to try?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back