Chord Hugo
Apr 24, 2014 at 9:55 PM Post #2,326 of 15,694

2nd paragraph from Chord's home page:

"Born from the highly demanding world of aircraft avionics, Chord Electronics maintains a commitment to exemplary engineering, cutting-edge technology and exceptional build quality. Ingeniously designed for high performance over the long term, Chord products are renowned internationally for their advanced technology which is amongst the best in the world. Since 1996, Chord’s collaboration with Robert Watts, a digital design genius with 30 years’ DAC technology development experience, has produced a number of advanced digital products that are, quite simply, without equal."

I suspect Chord does not develop nor retract "novelty".

If they hold themselves to such acclaim and standards, then so should customers.

I fail to even fathom the connection you are trying to make here about the (exemplary, cutting-edge technology, exceptional, ingenious, advanced, best in the world, without equal) Chord Hugo.  So your saying it isn't as it stands with the novel BT capability?

Apr 24, 2014 at 10:00 PM Post #2,327 of 15,694
Geeez. I realized my BT does work, with low res so it is most likely my computer not keeping up with higher res. I get no hiss at all. Why the variations with some people I don't know. But blue tooth isn't something I bought the Hugo for anyway. 

I don't think the ESR of the battery is holding up the Hugo as you have caps of very low esr after the batteries, don't see that as any way a fault. Enjoy the music. 

Apr 24, 2014 at 10:00 PM Post #2,328 of 15,694
Small batteries have greater internal resistance to DC current flow;which can affect sound quality in portable devices like my hugo.The internal DC resistance in large can be MUCH lower and make portable devices sound MUCH better.Hugo's small portable batteries are the ONLY THING THAT IS KEEPING THIS BEAST ON IT'S LEACH sound quality wise.The hugo is GREAT dac and headphone amp that is constrained by design for portable use. I put my own 3a/16pro on to a big battery and found myself at a whole different level sound quality wise. THE HUGO RUNNING ON IT'S OWN BATTERIES IS LIKE YOU RUNNING E85 IN YOUR CAR!

Apr 24, 2014 at 10:06 PM Post #2,329 of 15,694
  Small batteries have greater internal resistance to DC current flow;which can affect sound quality in portable devices like my hugo.The internal DC resistance in large can be MUCH lower and make portable devices sound MUCH better.Hugo's small portable batteries are the ONLY THING THAT IS KEEPING THIS BEAST ON IT'S LEACH sound quality wise.The hugo is GREAT dac and headphone amp that is constrained by design for portable use. I put my own 3a/16pro on to a big battery and found myself at a whole different level sound quality wise. THE HUGO RUNNING ON IT'S OWN BATTERIES IS LIKE YOU RUNNING E85 IN YOUR CAR!

Pictures please.  Would love to see how you modified your Hugo into a better world class desktop DAC/AMP.
At least I hope this is what your saying?

Apr 24, 2014 at 10:29 PM Post #2,331 of 15,694
  Richard at Aum Acoustics is an authorized Chord Hugo dealer that bypassed Hugo's batteries differently with even greater results.Both of us have high end home systems and good ears.

Any links to Richard's modifications?
Isn't the Chord Hugo connected by USB to a PC/MAC(hi rez) and the Audeze LCD-X cans a world class system? 
beyersmile.png

Simplicity and precision is a beautiful thing!!

Apr 24, 2014 at 10:31 PM Post #2,332 of 15,694
Bypassed with what? 

Apr 24, 2014 at 10:36 PM Post #2,334 of 15,694
Hugo's internal batteries serve their purpose for the portability intent:But I am talking about taking this reference DAC and unleaching it's greatest SQ potential with the absolute best power source for home use.POWER SUPPLY really makes that much of a difference with this level of DAC/AMP.

Apr 24, 2014 at 10:40 PM Post #2,335 of 15,694
  Hugo's internal batteries serve their purpose for the portability intent:But I am talking about taking this reference DAC and unleaching it's greatest SQ potential with the absolute best power source for home use.POWER SUPPLY really makes that much of a difference with this level of DAC/AMP.

Your killing me with suspense.  Show me the money!!!  Pictures pleaaaaaase.

I would like to also here from Rob Watts concerning alternate power supply modifications with the Chord Hugo.  Looking over the past posts I see he basically side stepped this question.

Apr 24, 2014 at 10:50 PM Post #2,336 of 15,694
I never considered using Hugo with Bluetooth. 

Apr 24, 2014 at 10:58 PM Post #2,337 of 15,694

Great. So what did you do?

Apr 24, 2014 at 11:12 PM Post #2,338 of 15,694
Maybe it's just too many bells and whistles, in too small a package .
You could be on something or onto something sir. Cutting edge high tech is a dicey game at best. Look at the Boeing Dreamliner for example. A lot of glitches at the start, but what pilot wouldn't want to captain arguably the most technologically advanced passenger aircraft going. Since, as I was informed earlier, the Hugo has only been out a few weeks it will be interesting to see how things shake out. As far as the Bluetooth goes I'll just say that I've been in homes that have a completely integrated wireless audio/visual system and it's a pretty cool thing.

Apr 24, 2014 at 11:13 PM Post #2,339 of 15,694
  Great. So what did you do?

And then all that was left was those damn crickets!!

popcorn.gif
 Elvis

EDIT:  Until someone can document here with photos and/or detailed description, a modification, I don't believe them.

Apr 24, 2014 at 11:44 PM Post #2,340 of 15,694
Chord went to the trouble of using an APTX bluetooth receiver and have heavily marketed the unit's - "advanced connectivity". It would have been easier, and cheaper for them not to bother with bluetooth. I hope this is just a quality control issue that can be easily resolved. Otherwise, it makes one question why a respected designer and manufacturer of mid- and high-end audio would release a product with such an obvious flaw.

+1

Perhaps Chord can fork another model without the bluetooth feature and save costs to us.
I personally avoid wireless where it matters most, audio, data xfer speeds, gaming.
Wouldn't bluetooth bottleneck the high quality of this product anyway?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back