Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
Oct 18, 2021 at 6:13 AM Post #5,791 of 6,736
Qutest when on but not processing is only 2W of power. Electronics are more reliable if on for 24/7 too, if you run the semiconductors at low temperature - which of course is the case for Qutest. So it was intended to leave it on permanently.

Yes I am reading this! Power dissipation is a major issue, the second issue is an FPGA that would do 0.5M taps at an appropriate price too - there isn't one available currently, nor is there one coming soon either.
I have to say that I fully agree with ctrlm on this.

Sorry to be a bit blunt again but the micro usb is a REALLY BAD "penny pinching" choice imo!!

Why did you choose such a flimsy little connection as on Hugo???
I mainly use my Qutest with a battery powered psu that definitely to my ears sounds better and more realistic than the supplied "thingy".

With the battery powered one I get the benefits of darker, warmer, less harsh or hard and fuller, more timbrally correct SQ from acoustic instruments I quite often actually know how they really sounded live in the hall at the actual recording ie the benefits you so often mention when discussing RF, RFI groundloop or whatever problems I get when using the supplied one which unfortunately I have to when the battery runs out of power and I have to plug in the other one.
Qutest is a very good little dac but deserved better than just micro usb, cheap smps and only one set of Rca connections too imo.
My Benchmark HGC 2 in the same price range as Qutest, which I only use as a very good headphone amp with my Qutest has SOO many connections both rca and balanced.
Regarding a " Half Mscaler" I can not see any need for a such a product whatsoever ,but I hope you are working hard on the Mscaler X with I guess at least 10 M taps or more.

Cheers CC

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2021 at 6:53 AM Post #5,792 of 6,736
Qutest when on but not processing is only 2W of power. Electronics are more reliable if on for 24/7 too, if you run the semiconductors at low temperature - which of course is the case for Qutest. So it was intended to leave it on permanently.

Yes I am reading this! Power dissipation is a major issue, the second issue is an FPGA that would do 0.5M taps at an appropriate price too - there isn't one available currently, nor is there one coming soon either.
Wow! thanks for the direct response Rob! And thanks for the detailed explanation. I want to tell you that the Qutest is a fantastic product!

I really respect people who do original things and love that you are tackling the digital audio problem in a way no one else is doing. Some day when FPGA processing power and your coding upgrades hit the singularity, I will move through space and time and end up in a recording studio in the 90s somewhere. I'll send a younger Rob a message :D

Oct 18, 2021 at 7:40 AM Post #5,793 of 6,736
705/768 colours are subtle but the difference is there on inspection.

Oct 18, 2021 at 10:34 AM Post #5,794 of 6,736
705/768 colours are subtle but the difference is there on inspection.
I inspected the best I could with my naked eye, and there is none on my Qutest. Surely, one should not have to buy a spectrometer to tell the sample rate one's DAC is playing.

Also, Chord support says they see no difference (in color) playing 705 vs 768 from an MScaler.

Oct 18, 2021 at 12:59 PM Post #5,795 of 6,736
Is a 0.5m rca cable ok to use or is it better to go 1m with qutest to amp?

Oct 18, 2021 at 1:20 PM Post #5,797 of 6,736
Thanks Atirya. I'm looking at chord clearway rca interconnect.

Oct 18, 2021 at 1:45 PM Post #5,798 of 6,736
I seem to recall a review where it said dont use it with Hifi market cables??? Stick with what is in the box?? Dont shoot the messenger, but I cant quite remember which review as I have read that many.......Although I do stand to be corrected.

Oct 19, 2021 at 12:48 AM Post #5,800 of 6,736
Possibly and Anni, wave stream cables etc. Will soon be the proud owner of anni, qutest, mscaler, qutest stands.....and the story continues.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2021 at 7:41 AM Post #5,801 of 6,736
Is it worth getting proper RCA interconnect to connect my qutest to Burson soloist 3x with expectation of noticeable sound improvement ? I am using VC with the it. I am using Audioquest golden gate at the moment. Does RCA interconnect cables really bring noticeable difference ? If so, How ?

Oct 22, 2021 at 7:48 AM Post #5,802 of 6,736
Is it worth getting proper RCA interconnect to connect my qutest to Burson soloist 3x with expectation of noticeable sound improvement ? I am using VC with the it. I am using Audioquest golden gate at the moment. Does RCA interconnect cables really bring noticeable difference ? If so, How ?
What you mean by proper RCA ? Your current AQ seems to be reasonable one.
Try to demo some more "Hi-end" cable at home with your system and decide if it's worth the extra money.
Some people swear by expensive cables, but others say that is just a snake oil. So as always check by yourself and decide with your ears/money :)

Oct 22, 2021 at 8:26 AM Post #5,803 of 6,736
I'll be using chord clearway 0.5m if that helps at £90 to connect qutest to anni. A system is only as strong as it's weakest link IMHO..

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2021 at 8:31 AM Post #5,804 of 6,736
What you mean by proper RCA ? Your current AQ seems to be reasonable one.
Try to demo some more "Hi-end" cable at home with your system and decide if it's worth the extra money.
Some people swear by expensive cables, but others say that is just a snake oil. So as always check by yourself and decide with your ears/money :)
Proper I meant by - High end. I will hit local audio shop to give it a try sometime. Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back