Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
Oct 25, 2021 at 7:52 AM Post #5,822 of 6,743
Does Windows 11 sound better? I will be using Roon and an SPL Phonitor SE with a pair of Audeze LCD-2C's.
If you properly disable all the windows sound enhancements and crap so that you're just sending straight to your DAC and the the DAC is doing all the work they should sound the same.

Oct 26, 2021 at 11:49 AM Post #5,823 of 6,743
So far absolutely outstanding.
IMG_20211026_155959862.jpg

Oct 26, 2021 at 2:23 PM Post #5,826 of 6,743
The lights are nice but it sounds absolutely mind blowing with many different styles. I've had mojo, h2, mh2, mtt2 and dave but this combination excels over all of them and i'm looking at it from a completely unbiased neutral POV. This is the best i've heard chord through any headphone. The natural analogue signature of the mscaler combined with the ultra refined bass rumble of anni is intoxicating. My favourite tracks are reborn.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2021 at 2:31 PM Post #5,828 of 6,743
With the maker.. i just received the trio today i'm looking at stream wave to arrive shortly. It's a must to complete the set up. An essential component imho. I've counted 10 new lights tonight including the internal diodes. :relaxed:

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2021 at 2:50 PM Post #5,829 of 6,743
The lights are nice but it sounds absolutely mind blowing with many different styles. I've had mojo, h2, mh2, mtt2 and dave but this combination excels over all of them and i'm looking at it from a completely unbiased neutral POV. This is the best i've heard chord through any headphone. The natural analogue signature of the mscaler combined with the ultra refined bass rumble of anni is intoxicating. My favourite tracks are reborn.
@musickid would you care to tell us more about HTT2 vs Qutest/Anni in headphones setup please? Just when I almost decided on my new dac and amp I have read your post and now I am at point 0 again :wink:

Oct 26, 2021 at 3:02 PM Post #5,830 of 6,743
I rarely used tt2 without mscaler but tt2 is smooth, effortless and powerful probably suiting more power hungry headphones even though it has low gain. It's a complete system in itself. The problem i found with my pm1and tt2 is that tt2 was a bit heavy sounding for me and spoiled some albums i listened too but by no means all of them. Anni has 10w but with the trio mqutest there is better synergy with my pm1. I heard it beforehand with sensitive headphones too. A new qutest anni is roughly £2350 a tt2 is £4250. If you're looking for a long term solution/ system and can afford it go tt2 but if you only have a few easy to drive headphones and you use at arms reach anni/qutest is the way to go imho. You can always add speakers to anni. The anni/qutest sound is very full and encompassing and the size of anni is deceptive. You can't go wrong either way.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2021 at 3:27 PM Post #5,831 of 6,743
I rarely used tt2 without mscaler but tt2 is smooth, effortless and powerful probably suiting more power hungry headphones even though it has low gain. It's a complete system in itself. The problem i found with my pm1and tt2 is that tt2 was a bit heavy sounding for me and spoiled some albums i listened too but by no means all of them. Anni has 10w but with the trio mqutest there is better synergy with my pm1. I heard it beforehand with sensitive headphones too. A new qutest anni is roughly £2350 a tt2 is £4250. If you're looking for a long term solution/ system and can afford it go tt2 but if you only have a few easy to drive headphones and you use at arms reach anni/qutest is the way to go imho. You can always add speakers to anni. The anni/qutest sound is very full and encompassing and the size of anni is deceptive. You can't go wrong either way.
Interesting, thanks.

£2350, yes, but then you add the two Chord system stands (which seem to be a must have), you're looking at £2850, which is not far from the price of a 2nd hand TT2.

Oct 26, 2021 at 5:24 PM Post #5,832 of 6,743
Thank you @musickid for sharing your experience. I like downsizing, so HTT2 appeals to me in way that I could connect it directly with USB and be done. Obviously sooner or later there would be an urge to add M Scaler so single box solution would be no longer applicable. The setup I am thinking about is actually separate dac and headphone amp so it would be not be a single box solution like HTT2 and the price is also higher. On the other hand I've heard some dacs both using off-the-shelf chips and R2R implementation that I prefer over HTT2 but I really like HTT2 as headphone amp but... there are still some amps I really like and I know I would like to eventually add one of them to the chain... the audiophile dilemmas are tough :wink:

So far I've heard Qutest without Anni and I am not impressed. No surprise since I've preferred Mojo sound signature over H2/Qutest and the next logical step in Chord line is TT2. What keeps me away from Anni is internal fan. I suppose you do not care that much about Qutest/TT2 sound signature difference?

Oct 26, 2021 at 5:41 PM Post #5,833 of 6,743

How would you describe the sound of Anni vs the H2mscaler combo you had before?

Oct 26, 2021 at 7:05 PM Post #5,834 of 6,743
I actually found tt2 too heavy sounding with my oppo pm1 but not always just on selected albums. Anni/qutest is more controlled than h2, drives my headphones with more rigour and digs deep into my planar magnetic 1 and i hear bass rumbles which i have not heard before with the chord dacs on their own. A smooth bass rumble not at all distorted. I can switch anni off from the mains which i couldn't when leaving h2 in desktop mode. Anni and qutest mscaled for me at least is a big step up from mhugo 2 in sound and in the pride of owning the system and stacking it on the qutest stands. This stack is a system to be reckoned with....small but easily equalling and beating many full size amps and integrated hifi systems around the thousand pound price and above which are intended to power speakers in small to medium size rooms. Here i mean anni/qutest on their own without mscaler.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2021 at 8:50 PM Post #5,835 of 6,743
A great day for me and now i'll move over and give space. Thanks to everyone for following my adventure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back