Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
Oct 16, 2021 at 3:55 PM Post #5,776 of 6,740
Are driver issues the kind of the thing that using a Raspberry Pi 4 streamer would solve? Say with an OS like RoPieee XL, I assume Windows drivers would no longer be needed or relevant?

Apart from the driver issue, does the Qutest stand to benefit sonically from using a low-noise streamer like the RPI given that the Qutest USB input is already galvanically isolated?
I think if it isn't possible to identify and stop whichever process in your laptop is interrupting the kernel streaming then yes, you may have to look at procuring a replacement streaming solution.

I've got some other bro science ideas about it but I don't want to clutter the thread with potential misinformation so I'll pm you.

Oct 16, 2021 at 10:13 PM Post #5,777 of 6,740
At some point I'll probably switch to a streamer than has an internal HD for my files and ditch the laptop altogether.

Oct 17, 2021 at 1:58 AM Post #5,778 of 6,740
I tried a different Windows laptop: an aging HP laptop from 2012, and the problem didn't arise (i.e. I was able to use the official Chord drivers to play DXD files without any issue.)

Now, I could buy a streaming device to solve the problem, but I'm not sure that not using the official Chord drivers (i.e. using the default Windows drivers) actually is a bad thing. Even using the default windows drivers, Roon is still able to play bit-perfect audio using the device in exclusive mode (i.e. the sound does not pass through the Windows mixer), and the Qutest still receives the digital signal in whatever sample rate I play, right up to 768Khz (as evidenced by the color of light in the glass window). It may therefore be a perfectly acceptable solution to simply not use the official drivers, at least if ASIO is not a requirement.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2021 at 3:13 AM Post #5,779 of 6,740
At some point I'll probably switch to a streamer than has an internal HD for my files and ditch the laptop altogether.
I suggest looking into Roon. I use a Roon Nucleus, but you can use the laptop as the Roon core as well. The streamer (or more, one of the great benefits of Roon) needs to be Roon ready.

Oct 17, 2021 at 9:49 AM Post #5,781 of 6,740
SMSL SP400, THX-888. Very lineral / transparent. Doesn't colour Qutest's out as Hugo2's internal amp does.
I am looking for colourful / tonally rich amp for Qutest that doesn't loose the details.
Any advice?

No, it is the other way around. Your SMSL amps actually colouring the sound of Hugo 2 (with SMSL's neutral-bright character). There is no amp on earth that has less coloration than Hugo 2 headphone out (if you use Hugo 2 as DAC), because Hugo 2 doesn't use amplification board. What you heard from headphone out is direct from output stage of DAC itself.

Oct 17, 2021 at 11:22 AM Post #5,782 of 6,740
This is the route to Qutest happiness or go the server route for music you really care deeply about. I left the Windows world due to the abomination known as Vista and crossed over to Apple only. One benefit was I don't overtly experience the multitude of computer issues related to on this thread. Finally added a streaming device and a server. The server on BNC to the Qutest is amazing. Internal SSD in my case. You don't know what was there until it is gone. Abyss recently posted a Top of the Line video that touches on computers and noise issues in general. Gives some food for thought. Awaiting Anni for more Qutest adventures.

Oct 17, 2021 at 11:29 AM Post #5,783 of 6,740
I suggest looking into Roon. I use a Roon Nucleus, but you can use the laptop as the Roon core as well. The streamer (or more, one of the great benefits of Roon) needs to be Roon ready.
Unless they've changed the design, I don't like the inability to create playlists on Roon. Audirvana is much better in that regard.

Oct 17, 2021 at 11:38 AM Post #5,784 of 6,740
Has anyone noticed that on the Qutest:

1. The various sample rate colors don't actually match those in the manual.
2. While the colors (while not matching the manual) do vary with the sample rate, the colors for 705.6Khz and 768Khz are exactly the same i.e. there is no change, unlike what is given in the manual, and contrary to the whole purpose of having distinct colors for distinct sample rates. But, the color I see for 705.6/768 is indeed different from the color for 384, which is different from the color for 352.8: otherwise I would have started to suspect that I'm not outputting 705.6/768 at all.

Oct 17, 2021 at 11:51 AM Post #5,785 of 6,740
Unless they've changed the design, I don't like the inability to create playlists on Roon. Audirvana is much better in that regard.
You can create playlists in Roon, no problem. And/or convert imported playlists to Roon playlists, with two clicks.

Oct 17, 2021 at 4:30 PM Post #5,786 of 6,740
You can create playlists in Roon, no problem. And/or convert imported playlists to Roon playlists, with two clicks.
Even from Qobuz? I recall different ways to arrange Qobuz or downloaded files (album, artist, date added, etc.) but not playlists they Qobuz and Audirvana do it. They maintain all of the tracks as a group--I just click on the album cover I want to play, and it opens up to reveal the individual tracks. As I recall, Roon just listed them as individual tracks, which can be a pain for many classical titles that sometimes have dozens of tracks! For instance, here is an image of a fragment of one playlist followed by what it looks like when I click on a cover image. (Again, just a fragment of the contained tracks.) Does Roon come close to this?

Attachments

• playlist one.jpg
    playlist one.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 0
  • playlist 2.jpg
    playlist 2.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Oct 17, 2021 at 4:46 PM Post #5,787 of 6,740
I wonder how this would sound:
Anybody tried it yet?
CHORD_ANNI_17238-900x675.jpg
chordelectronics.co.uk/product/anni

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2021 at 4:47 PM Post #5,788 of 6,740
Even from Qobuz? I recall different ways to arrange Qobuz or downloaded files (album, artist, date added, etc.) but not playlists they Qobuz and Audirvana do it. They maintain all of the tracks as a group--I just click on the album cover I want to play, and it opens up to reveal the individual tracks. As I recall, Roon just listed them as individual tracks, which can be a pain for many classical titles that sometimes have dozens of tracks! For instance, here is an image of a fragment of one playlist followed by what it looks like when I click on a cover image. (Again, just a fragment of the contained tracks.) Does Roon come close to this?
I don't know when you last used Roon, sounds like a long time ago. What you're describing is pretty basic and of course that works fine in Roon. Maybe give it another try, you can just subscribe for a month and check it out.

Anyway, let's get back to the Qutest.

Oct 17, 2021 at 6:25 PM Post #5,789 of 6,740
I wonder how this would sound:
Anybody tried it yet?
CHORD_ANNI_17238-900x675.jpg
chordelectronics.co.uk/product/anni
A UK member with one posted brief comment in the Anni thread. A teaser that he says he will followup on when he has more time... Another tried one at a show. Favourable but rather little info so far. A couple of US dealers appeared poised for deliveries in the next few days.

Oct 18, 2021 at 5:20 AM Post #5,790 of 6,740
The worst thing about the Qutest for me has always been the the baffling decision to use micro USB for the power, especially with no dedicated power switch.

For the last 6 months or so the connection has been getting flaky (opening up) using an aftermarket power supply so it's time to take her in and get a new micro USB inlet. I suck at soldering so I need to find someone to do it.

Qutest when on but not processing is only 2W of power. Electronics are more reliable if on for 24/7 too, if you run the semiconductors at low temperature - which of course is the case for Qutest. So it was intended to leave it on permanently.

If Chord designed a Half-M-Scaler with the same form factor as the Anni and Qutest that would be so awesome... Rob are you reading this?

Yes I am reading this! Power dissipation is a major issue, the second issue is an FPGA that would do 0.5M taps at an appropriate price too - there isn't one available currently, nor is there one coming soon either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back