Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
Sep 24, 2021 at 4:37 PM Post #5,701 of 6,740
1) How do I turn it off (I know some of you probably will say no need to, but I want to)
You'll have to disconnect it or buy one of those micro usb cables that have a switch.
2) What voltage do you guys use it at? 1v/2v/3v?
Depends on the amp, 3V if possible.
3) What filter do you guys use?
The white one.

And I just use the stock power supply.

Sep 24, 2021 at 7:29 PM Post #5,702 of 6,740
To be honest I can't tell the difference between each filter. Is there any test tracks that really accentuate the differences?

Sep 25, 2021 at 1:55 AM Post #5,703 of 6,740
I'm having an issue with my brand new Qutest that I'm hoping someone can identify. Whenever I play a sample rate higher than 192Khz via USB (either by upscaling - I use Roon - or by playing DXD files), I get crackling and "warping"-sounding distortion. In fact at 384Khz I get the crackling and warping for a few seconds, and then a burst of "white noise". Anything lower than or at 192Khz plays fine. I'm using the official Chord drivers on Windows 10, and this happens when using both WASAPI and ASIO on Roon. My computer should be more than powerful enough (11th gen i7 processor), and in fact plays >192Khz files just fine through other DACs (e.g. Topping D90SE, which I tried for a while).

Sep 25, 2021 at 1:57 AM Post #5,704 of 6,740
I'm having an issue with my brand new Qutest that I'm hoping someone can identify. Whenever I play a sample rate higher than 192Khz via USB (either by upscaling - I use Roon - or by playing DXD files), I get crackling and "warping"-sounding distortion. In fact at 384Khz I get the crackling and warping for a few seconds, and then a burst of "white noise". Anything lower than or at 192Khz plays fine. I'm using the official Chord drivers on Windows 10, and this happens when using both WASAPI and ASIO on Roon. My computer should be more than powerful enough (11th gen i7 processor), and in fact plays >192Khz files just fine through other DACs (e.g. Topping D90SE, which I tried for a while).
Try a different USB cable.

Sep 25, 2021 at 2:25 AM Post #5,706 of 6,740
Thanks. I tried a different one, and had the same problem as with the cable that came with the Qutest.
Make sure you are going directly to the computer, no hubs, filtering or other stuff. Also try a different USB port, that might fix your issue. Other than that you can try re-installing the drivers or testing in a different computer.

If nothing works contact your dealer or Chord.

Sep 25, 2021 at 2:28 AM Post #5,707 of 6,740
Make sure you are going directly to the computer, no hubs, filtering or other stuff. Also try a different USB port, that might fix your issue. Other than that you can try re-installing the drivers or testing in a different computer.

If nothing works contact your dealer or Chord.
Thanks! Yes, this is going directly into the computer. Different USB port didn't work.

I uninstalled the Chord drivers, and tried running with whatever Windows 10 has by default. The problem disappeared.

Something is wrong with the drivers Chord provides.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2021 at 5:12 AM Post #5,708 of 6,740
Ok...I've finally pulled the trigger on a Qutest...a few questions:
1) How do I turn it off (I know some of you probably will say no need to, but I want to)
2) What voltage do you guys use it at? 1v/2v/3v?
3) What filter do you guys use?
4) What is the cheapest power supply that will improve the sound? (I don't want to spend $350 on a PS)
5) I hear you can use a battery...has anyone tried those batteries that are also wall warts? I think Anker makes them.
1>Get an inline switch - commonly available as a Raspberry Pi accessory
2> Use the highest that your amp will accept (usually 2 or 3)
3> The filters are designed for different inputs, but green or white suits my ears.
4> You will need to spend $350+ to improve the sound, so stick with the original.
5> The only battery that provides a native 5v is 4x NiMh. All others require potentially noisy switching circuits, thereby defeating the object, including those you describe.

Sep 25, 2021 at 11:54 AM Post #5,709 of 6,740
A lot of the discussion around Chord products and their unique sound seems to be about their upsampling technology & WTA filter taps - 50k on the Qutest, 100k on the TT2, 1 million on the M Scaler.

Hypothetically, if one were take that advantage "away" from a Chord DAC by upsampling with HQPlayer and inputting a 768Khz signal, what advantages would the HQPlayer upsampling+Chord DAC provide over HQPlayer upsampling+modern delta-sigma DAC (say the Topping D90SE)? Or for that matter, how would the M Scaler+Chord DAC be different from the M Scaler+modern delta-sigma DAC?

I'm not interested in comparing HQPlayer upsampling vs M Scaler here (lot of posts on that), I'm interested in comparing a Chord DAC pre-provided with a 768Khz signal vs a delta-sigma DAC pre-provided with a 768Khz signal (assuming 786Khz is the max for both DACs, so neither upsamples anymore).

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2021 at 12:25 PM Post #5,710 of 6,740

Happened before with my friend's laptop. The solution is to charged the laptop while playing dsd file. Some "ultra saving energy" system may occur when we discharge the laptop. Of course different laptop may behave differently.

Sep 26, 2021 at 3:39 AM Post #5,711 of 6,740
A lot of the discussion around Chord products and their unique sound seems to be about their upsampling technology & WTA filter taps - 50k on the Qutest, 100k on the TT2, 1 million on the M Scaler.

Hypothetically, if one were take that advantage "away" from a Chord DAC by upsampling with HQPlayer and inputting a 768Khz signal, what advantages would the HQPlayer upsampling+Chord DAC provide over HQPlayer upsampling+modern delta-sigma DAC (say the Topping D90SE)? Or for that matter, how would the M Scaler+Chord DAC be different from the M Scaler+modern delta-sigma DAC?

I'm not interested in comparing HQPlayer upsampling vs M Scaler here (lot of posts on that), I'm interested in comparing a Chord DAC pre-provided with a 768Khz signal vs a delta-sigma DAC pre-provided with a 768Khz signal (assuming 786Khz is the max for both DACs, so neither upsamples anymore).
There is also the discrete Power Pulse Array DAC invented by Rob Watts, on top of the digital filters with the WTA algorithm.

Sep 26, 2021 at 1:22 PM Post #5,713 of 6,740

Users who are viewing this thread

Back