Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
Oct 7, 2021 at 2:27 PM Post #5,731 of 6,743
I'm having an issue with my brand new Qutest that I'm hoping someone can identify. Whenever I play a sample rate higher than 192Khz via USB (either by upscaling - I use Roon - or by playing DXD files), I get crackling and "warping"-sounding distortion. In fact at 384Khz I get the crackling and warping for a few seconds, and then a burst of "white noise". Anything lower than or at 192Khz plays fine. I'm using the official Chord drivers on Windows 10, and this happens when using both WASAPI and ASIO on Roon. My computer should be more than powerful enough (11th gen i7 processor), and in fact plays >192Khz files just fine through other DACs (e.g. Topping D90SE, which I tried for a while).
it happend to me the same . i heard some crackling noise from some tracks when playing qobuz on windows 10 . sometimes has sometime don't on the same track. i don't know it's a problem with my qutest or my amp hpa4 or with windows 10 through usb, or drivers issue

Oct 8, 2021 at 2:05 AM Post #5,732 of 6,743
it happend to me the same . i heard some crackling noise from some tracks when playing qobuz on windows 10 . sometimes has sometime don't on the same track. i don't know it's a problem with my qutest or my amp hpa4 or with windows 10 through usb, or drivers issue
The usual breakdown is something like:

90% - USB Cable

9.999% - Windows/App/PC Architecture

0.001% - DAC

0% - Headphone Amp

Oct 8, 2021 at 2:22 AM Post #5,733 of 6,743
The usual breakdown is something like:

90% - USB Cable

9.999% - Windows/App/PC Architecture

0.001% - DAC

0% - Headphone Amp
@technobear actually with Chord DACs I have quite the opposite experience. I agree that you can remove headphone amp from the equation. However Chord USB drivers are sensitive to some changes in my setups. For example changing from USB3 to USB2 port in my laptop introduces a lot of distortion. Secondly player settings are also crucial (and this is not relevant to Chord dacs only but at least with Audirvana I had most problems settings Chord dacs correctly, contrary to iFi for example). Maximum sampling rate, ASIO vs WASAPI vs Kernel Streaming (please note: this is note that I am not trying to start another debate which mode sounds best I am just making a point that this is one of the settings that can introduce some issues), upsampling, VST plugins, CPU settings - all those can play a crucial role. I only once had an issue due to USB cable. All other cases were software related.

My experience applies to Mojo, Qutest and TT2 with Windows 10.

Oct 8, 2021 at 3:38 AM Post #5,734 of 6,743
@technobear actually with Chord DACs I have quite the opposite experience. I agree that you can remove headphone amp from the equation. However Chord USB drivers are sensitive to some changes in my setups. For example changing from USB3 to USB2 port in my laptop introduces a lot of distortion. Secondly player settings are also crucial (and this is not relevant to Chord dacs only but at least with Audirvana I had most problems settings Chord dacs correctly, contrary to iFi for example). Maximum sampling rate, ASIO vs WASAPI vs Kernel Streaming (please note: this is note that I am not trying to start another debate which mode sounds best I am just making a point that this is one of the settings that can introduce some issues), upsampling, VST plugins, CPU settings - all those can play a crucial role. I only once had an issue due to USB cable. All other cases were software related.

My experience applies to Mojo, Qutest and TT2 with Windows 10.
In my case, the problem disappeared entirely simply by uninstalling the official Chord drivers. Now, the device apparently has no drivers, and shows as an "unidentified device" in my device manager, and yet, music at any sample rate plays flawlessly. Reinstalling the drivers re-introduced the warping and crackling.

I've told Chord support about this. Apparently they were unable to replicate the problem with their drivers, and promptly proceeded to ghost me, probably concluding that I am just imagining things.

Oct 9, 2021 at 1:05 PM Post #5,736 of 6,743
In my case, the problem disappeared entirely simply by uninstalling the official Chord drivers. Now, the device apparently has no drivers, and shows as an "unidentified device" in my device manager, and yet, music at any sample rate plays flawlessly. Reinstalling the drivers re-introduced the warping and crackling.

I've told Chord support about this. Apparently they were unable to replicate the problem with their drivers, and promptly proceeded to ghost me, probably concluding that I am just imagining things.
i did tthe same thing and it was succesfully solved

Oct 12, 2021 at 11:32 AM Post #5,738 of 6,743
Ah, so I'm not the only person who has this problem. Yet, to Chord Support, the problem doesn't exist, since they cannot replicate it.
See my post a few pages back--I couldn't play anything 96k or higher on my Windows laptop with the Qutest. Chord was initially helpful--even sent me a new driver, but nothing worked. Had to give up and use my MacBook Pro. You said it will play any resolution without a driver--does that include DSD?

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2021 at 12:48 PM Post #5,739 of 6,743
See my post a few pages back--I couldn't play anying 96k or higher on my Windows laptop with the Qutest. Chord was initially helpful--even sent me a new driver, but nothing worked. Had to give up and use my MacBook Pro. You said it will play any resolution without a driver--does that include DSD?
Wow, sorry to hear that. I haven't tried DSD, but PCM works even at 768Khz via USB. Very rarely (have only had it happen twice) the right channel breaks down into white noise. But otherwise, it works.

Oct 13, 2021 at 4:05 PM Post #5,742 of 6,743
If I'm brave enough to try it, I'm curious to see if Windows 11 works better.

Oct 13, 2021 at 4:43 PM Post #5,743 of 6,743
I am testing Qutest and Hugo2 side by side and they sound differently with my current amp.
What amp should I use with Qutest to make it sound similar to Hugo2 (adding more colour / naturam timbre to Qutest without loosing microdynamics and details) ?

Oct 13, 2021 at 10:01 PM Post #5,745 of 6,743
John Darko the reviewer said he *slightly* prefers the qutest to the Hugo 2. I've heard them both myself and they are very similar but I too *slightly* prefer the qutest. Especially with a good quality linear power supply, like the Sbooster.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back