Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
Sep 16, 2021 at 9:27 AM Post #5,686 of 6,743
My Qutest DAC sounds great with my MacBook Pro, but when I use my HP Omen laptop (Windows based), DSD files are terribly distorted. (Yes, I installed the ASIO driver!) I ended up returning it, thinking it was defective. I just bought another one--same issue. I use both JRiver and Audirvana to play files, and I get the same results. I contacted Chord's tech department a few months ago, but they were at a loss! The tech sent me a different driver to try, but it didn't help. Has anyone else had this problem and did you resolve it? If so, please share!
My friend actually have same problem as you. Happen to all 3 latest chord dac: Qutest, Hugo 2, TT2. His windows laptop (asio and wasapi inside) perfectly fine with denafrip pontus, various questyle dac, various topping dac.

I tried to take a look, experiment with all settings I could find, and zero result. All of three chord dac above perfectly fine to my macbook, windows laptop (there are 2 of them), my friend's ipad, AK380 copper, and any other digital device we could find here.

Confusing to the max, I know.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2021 at 2:32 PM Post #5,687 of 6,743
My friend actually have same problem as you. Happen to all 3 latest chord dac: Qutest, Hugo 2, TT2. His windows laptop (asio and wasapi inside) perfectly fine with denafrip pontus, various questyle dac, various topping dac.

I tried to take a look, experiment with all settings I could find, and zero result. All of three chord dac above perfectly fine to my macbook, windows laptop (there are 2 of them), my friend's ipad, AK380 copper, and any other digital device we could find here.

It must be something in the respective laptop's audio structure since it works with your Windows laptop. Until I run out of storage space, I'm OK with my Macbook Pro. At that point, I'll probably look into a dedicated music server such as Aurender, AuraliC, etc.

Sep 16, 2021 at 4:20 PM Post #5,688 of 6,743
I would say darker compared to the original PS. Improved detail, more spacious and less fatigue as well. In fact, I sold my TT2 because I really couldn't tell the difference between using the Qutest with the Sbooster PS and the TT2. I'm going to use the money saved for other things.
Totally agree! SBooster took my Qutest to another level. :musical_score:

Sep 16, 2021 at 6:01 PM Post #5,695 of 6,743
Totally agree! SBooster took my Qutest to another level. :musical_score:
I had the same result. Major positive improvement! Ensure your Qutest is fully broken-in prior to trying the SBooster. And the SBooster itself has a long break-in requirement. The first 25 to 50 hours I thought “what have I done?”. Then it started to improve. Leave it fully powered-up at all times. Same for the Qutest. Always powered up. Neither uses much electricity. That was one of my criteria for selecting these components.

Sep 17, 2021 at 7:32 AM Post #5,696 of 6,743
Last edited:
Sep 18, 2021 at 11:50 AM Post #5,697 of 6,743

We solved the problem!

Believe it or not the problem is because the laptop is not charging while use these Chord products. Simply because the laptop Asus Ultrabook with ultra low consumption energy (so have long lasting battery without charge). I think the OS affect the USB out in a way (to save energy) that not able to play DSD file with Qutest/Hugo2/TT2. However, when we charging the laptop, suddenly everything working well.

Sep 19, 2021 at 9:48 PM Post #5,698 of 6,743
We solved the problem!

Believe it or not the problem is because the laptop is not charging while use these Chord products. Simply because the laptop Asus Ultrabook with ultra low consumption energy (so have long lasting battery without charge). I think the OS affect the USB out in a way (to save energy) that not able to play DSD file with Qutest/Hugo2/TT2. However, when we charging the laptop, suddenly everything working well.
Windows device manager … find the USB port you’re using, select “properties” and you should find a box checked “ allow computer to turn off this device” … simply un check it …

Sep 21, 2021 at 7:45 AM Post #5,699 of 6,743
A new Qutest-related product...

Attachments

• 89FB3F94-2B66-425B-A498-9EB04F50D314.png
    89FB3F94-2B66-425B-A498-9EB04F50D314.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Sep 24, 2021 at 4:17 PM Post #5,700 of 6,743
Ok...I've finally pulled the trigger on a Qutest...a few questions:
1) How do I turn it off (I know some of you probably will say no need to, but I want to)
2) What voltage do you guys use it at? 1v/2v/3v?
3) What filter do you guys use?
4) What is the cheapest power supply that will improve the sound? (I don't want to spend $350 on a PS)
5) I hear you can use a battery...has anyone tried those batteries that are also wall warts? I think Anker makes them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back