Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
Oct 28, 2019 at 12:41 AM Post #4,396 of 6,775
have u considered using toslink from source to dac? Quite a “troublefree” solution compared to usb.

Many people have reported that toslink sounds soft. Is that not a concern?

For example: "Starting with AudioQuest Carbon coaxial and AudioQuest Vodka Toslink digital cables, the difference was primarily in clarity. That is, the sound was less transparent and softer with the Toslink cable, and soundstage depth was reduced compared with that of the coaxial cable. The differences in sound quality between AudioQuest Toslink and coaxial cables running between the Oppo player and Arcam DAC were larger than I expected."

https://www.cnet.com/news/the-audio...do-digital-audio-connections-sound-different/

Oct 28, 2019 at 5:58 AM Post #4,397 of 6,775

For example: "Starting with AudioQuest Carbon coaxial and AudioQuest Vodka Toslink digital cables, the difference was primarily in clarity. That is, the sound was less transparent and softer with the Toslink cable, and soundstage depth was reduced compared with that of the coaxial cable. The differences in sound quality between AudioQuest Toslink and coaxial cables running between the Oppo player and Arcam DAC were larger than I expected."

https://www.cnet.com/news/the-audio...do-digital-audio-connections-sound-different/

not apple to apple

toslink from cd player has better details than USB from ripped copy. it could be cd wasn't proper ripped to HD.

Oct 28, 2019 at 6:41 AM Post #4,398 of 6,775

it also depends on the synergy of each system. Proper toslink in a proper system w synergy doesnt sound soft. Def eliminates the ground noise, even coming from a properly grounded source (active and passive grounding).

Oct 28, 2019 at 7:41 AM Post #4,399 of 6,775
Which is the best for the qutest?

I am afraid I didn’t test all. I just tried a uRendu (that I still own) and a Isoregen (this one never with the Qutest).

The uRendu is an end-point that performs also isolation and reclocker functions. The Isoregen is just about isolation and reclocking. On a SQ basis, I find that the uRendu beats clearly the Isoregen. But it cost more than the double. If money is not a problem I would go for the uRendu or even the new model that uses a fiber connection. But you won’t be disappointed using the Isoregen. You could also look for a second hand one. Whatever is your choice, remember that You still can upgrade the SQ of your device with a good power supply. Good luck.

Oct 29, 2019 at 6:42 AM Post #4,401 of 6,775
Actually i dont Have Ifi galvanic, but have Nano usb 3.0. Ofcourse i will buy Ifi Galvanic later. It should be i think like this - Idefender + ipower to Igalvanic and then To Dac. More info you can find on Ifi forums.
In my system ifi nano usb + shielded cable helped tremendously, so now i ordered Wireworld Platinum starlight 7 to get best when it comes to fighting digital sound and getting cleanest sound.
Yes great dacs sound awesome, but they not gonna clean all the mess from noisy power lines and radio frequencies contaminated sound.
Do you power your Qutest from Nano? Also have you bought Galvanic eventually? Wonder it may make any further improvement, considering that Qutest is advertised as galvanically isolated.

Oct 29, 2019 at 7:05 AM Post #4,402 of 6,775
I've placed my order for the Qutest. I also placed an order for the iFi Nano iUSB to power the Qutest and "regen" the USB signal.

I can compare with stock if anyone is interested. If it's not much difference, I may resell the latter.
I'm also considering buying IFI Nano. Do you power your Qutest from Nano or do you use Gemeni cables?

Oct 31, 2019 at 4:25 PM Post #4,403 of 6,775
I started skimming from page 1 of this thread recently, so forgive if this has already been posted.

I recently acquired a Ghent Audio shielded USB power-only, no-data so thought this maybe a good option if needed to power one's Qutest. I believe there was an DC to USB, but no photo so just throwing this out there.

qut.png

I use it from a USB battery pack to an Raspberry Pi since I only work within the constraints of being transportable, but may come in handy if I go Qutest (Desktop) one day.

tilt.png

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2019 at 10:34 AM Post #4,405 of 6,775
Do you think the power supply from Raspberry 5V 2.5A is suitable for Qutest? This excess current of 0.5A will not hurt?

That looks identical to the stock supply, if your looking for improvement I would say dont waist your time. There are no short cuts to upgrading the PS for improvement, my low noise DIY linear supply ran about $200 and provides a nice bump in performance.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2019 at 3:33 PM Post #4,407 of 6,775
nick77
plsvn

Thank you for your answers.
I’m not looking for improvement (Rob Watts stated earlier that for this device the linear power supply is redundant and even harmful, and I completely agree with it.). I have two audio systems in different rooms (a personal computer with active monitors and headphones and a stationary Hi-Fi). It is very simple for me to transfer this small DAC from one system to another, but it is very burdensome to constantly remove and switch the power supply. Therefore, I need a second power supply so that I only disconnect the wires from the DAC and connect it in another place without unnecessary manipulation.

Nov 11, 2019 at 3:01 PM Post #4,409 of 6,775
Someone compared the Qutest with the Yggdrasil?
Well, Yggy is almost 12kg (25lbs) and Qutest is 770g (1.6lbs).

They both seem to be top choices of DACs, although Yggie is getting a bit old. Qutest might have the edge in realistic sound and sound stage depth according to what I have read.

I run a TT2 now so I am not really looking back to anything lesser.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back