Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
Oct 23, 2019 at 6:30 AM Post #4,367 of 6,736
Is there a consensus on the use of conditioners such as SOtM tx-USBultra or iPurifier, as well as Rendu and SOtM streamers with Qutest? At the moment, I just have a laptop with Fidelizer and Audirvana, I'm happy with the sound, but maybe there is room for improvement?

Oct 23, 2019 at 7:17 AM Post #4,368 of 6,736
Oh yes there is especially when using a ‘normal’ computer. I don’t have any more my Qutest but I still keep my uRendu. It really makes a difference.
It seems that there is a consensus with the others. You could also try an Isoregen. Not so good but it’s much less expensive. Use the uRendu with a good LPS. I use an sbooster but a LPS 1.2 it’s also fantastic. If you are short of money try to get an used package (uR + LPS). Finally if I may advice get a second hand Cisco 2960 switch. They can be find between 20 to 60 dólares. New were more than 600. If you want to improve use an optical module to the Cisco or even better between the Cisco and the uR. A good power supply will also make a difference. I started with a Jameco (10 $). Much better than the one included. Looking forward to receiving my etherregen... Good luck

Oct 23, 2019 at 7:42 AM Post #4,369 of 6,736
Oh yes there is especially when using a ‘normal’ computer. I don’t have any more my Qutest but I still keep my uRendu. It really makes a difference.
It seems that there is a consensus with the others. You could also try an Isoregen. Not so good but it’s much less expensive. Use the uRendu with a good LPS. I use an sbooster but a LPS 1.2 it’s also fantastic. If you are short of money try to get an used package (uR + LPS). Finally if I may advice get a second hand Cisco 2960 switch. They can be find between 20 to 60 dólares. New were more than 600. If you want to improve use an optical module to the Cisco or even better between the Cisco and the uR. A good power supply will also make a difference. I started with a Jameco (10 $). Much better than the one included. Looking forward to receiving my etherregen... Good luck

Thanks for the answer. I forgot to mention that I don’t need network functions at all, I like my laptop and I’m only ready to consider buying network devices if it gives significant growth in SQ.

Oct 23, 2019 at 12:21 PM Post #4,371 of 6,736
It will improve SQ if you use streaming services and probably if you also use cd files with an additional computer or a NAS.

I never tried a battery with a Qutest, so I can’t comment. Used one (don’t remember the name) with my sonictransporter and I prefered the HDPLEX I’ve been using. Ultimately it will depend on the system you’re using and also the quality of the battery. Cheers

Oct 23, 2019 at 3:10 PM Post #4,372 of 6,736
It will improve SQ if you use streaming services and probably if you also use cd files with an additional computer or a NAS.

I use high quality cd-rips streaming from my external hard drive. My question is: Is a regular laptop inferior in sound quality than network devices? My system is pretty revelatory: Dynaudio Special 40 + Perreuax pre amp + Perreuax power amp.

Also, what is general agreement on the use of conditioners like IFI products?

Oct 23, 2019 at 8:00 PM Post #4,373 of 6,736
Sorry for not being sufficiently clear. I was not saying that network devices are superior to computers. I suggested that using a NAS or an additional computer might (and I say might) get you a better sound when using a good switch. The connection being by Ethernet, of course. I am saying this because I prefer the sound coming from my Zen MK III and my sonic transporter connected through my Cisco to the ultra rendu than connected directly to the uR. Turning to the starting point and from my experience what I am certain is that using a USB ‘reclocker’ improves substantially the SQ coming from a computer. Even a Zen MKIII. Best, Jorge

Oct 24, 2019 at 5:02 AM Post #4,374 of 6,736
Sorry for not being sufficiently clear. I was not saying that network devices are superior to computers. I suggested that using a NAS or an additional computer might (and I say might) get you a better sound when using a good switch. The connection being by Ethernet, of course. I am saying this because I prefer the sound coming from my Zen MK III and my sonic transporter connected through my Cisco to the ultra rendu than connected directly to the uR. Turning to the starting point and from my experience what I am certain is that using a USB ‘reclocker’ improves substantially the SQ coming from a computer. Even a Zen MKIII. Best, Jorge

OK, got it, thank you!

Oct 24, 2019 at 5:45 AM Post #4,376 of 6,736
To my surprise the iFi iPurifier 3 improved clarity a lot with the 2Qute. Soon I will be able to test it with the Qutest. I am not expecting it to make as big of a difference as it does with the 2Qute but we shall see.

I've got the Pro iDSD here on loan, and it's DAC performance is absolutely impressive. It just controls the low-end so much better than 2Qute. It is also less bright and more dynamic. I just can't really go back to my 2Qute after the iDSD but I also can't afford to buy the iDSD and I wouldn't use 80% of its features anyway.

I really hope the Qutest will cure my issues and bring a slightly less bright sound but a more firm and confident low-end control versus 2Qute. I will report back in a few days.
Did you have good results with iPurifier 3?[/QUOTE]
Sold it after buying the Qutest. Didn't need it anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back