Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
Dec 16, 2018 at 5:01 PM Post #2,596 of 6,736
I am not someone who hears the micro differences between different inputs, nor have I ever used different power supplies on the Qutest (or any Chord DAC actually) but I did find I suffered from a little listening fatigue when running the Qutest on mains for a few hours, compared to a Poweradd Pilot Pro 2 battery pack. I also noticed when using the battery pack and optical for source, the instruments that should sound hard sounded harder and the instruments that should sound soft, sounded softer. I will caveat this with the fact that I had in the previous week been reading here, conversations between Rob and others regarding the absence of RF sounding like this, so perhaps I heard what I wanted to hear. This can definitely be a very real and powerful phenomenon by the way....I remember being completely amazed by the huge uplift in sound quality when first trying Tidal Masters, only to discover an hour or so later that I hadn’t actually enabled them. This was a very valuable lesson and has probably saved me a few quid in recent years as I now listen to new equipment and recordings very differently.

Either way, to my now very sceptical ears, optical and battery powered sounds best. Given it provides the most isolation available, that at least seems logical (YMMV). Would I be able to tell the difference in a blind test? No chance, but it is definitely the least fatiguing for me, I can listen for many hours using optical and a battery pack. That must be a good sign.

And so, after all that, my question:

@Rob Watts each time I want to listen, I just connect the battery pack to the Qutest, then disconnect when I’m done. Does this way of powering the Qutest do it any harm, compared to having it continuously powered on mains?

Dec 16, 2018 at 5:18 PM Post #2,597 of 6,736
Hi Guys,

I have a bit of an odd issue on my qutest. It has been running fine with absolutely no issues since purchase, and today I put the optical feed in from my CD player and it sounded a bit quiet and distorted. I have now tried all inputs and getting the same distorted very quiet sound.. have I accidentally turned on some random mode? I was looking forward to a week of chilled out listening for the xmas holidays, concerned there might be an issue now :frowning2:

I have tried the 3 different volt settings and it is equally as bad. I have switched phono inputs, and have also tried another DAC which is working fine. If the issue is immediately evident to anyone please let me know if the resolution.
Hey man, is the 1V output sounds less cut off than the 2V and 3V output? If so, my guess is you might get a damaged output stage, it feels like a hardware issues, try the warranty. Did you short the RCA output by any chance? What amp are you using?

Dec 16, 2018 at 5:26 PM Post #2,598 of 6,736
I can not spend more than £2000. I don't care much about DSD, I mostly listen to FLAC.

Don't think twice. Go for Hugo TT.. :wink:

Dec 16, 2018 at 5:31 PM Post #2,600 of 6,736
I ABed Adi2 DAC and 2qute for more than a week back in the days when I own them both, both via USB input playing bit perfect audio. The resolution is the same level and same as few people said on qutest earlier, 2qute also has more airy highs and adi2 sounds more solid. It feels like ties here and the preference is only result of taste. However when I try to play some complicated music, Adi2 got a little messy while the 2qute could still provide a good saperation and stable image. I also prefer the more lively sound of the 2qute. I ended up selling both and upgraded to a quest, which keeps the most of the 2qute and has higher spec, more capabilities and much better build quality. I also hear pro gears are pretty good, so next time I would like to try something from dangerous music.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2018 at 11:49 PM Post #2,601 of 6,736
Hi Sorry I meant changed input to Optical. I have tried from multiple sources now, optical / USB and it seems to be the same. I guess I'll have to contact Chord tomorrow.

Sanity check - I guess you have disconnected the PSU, waited 10 seconds and re-started? Also, try another 5v USB PSU and check the power cable too.

I am not someone who hears the micro differences between different inputs, nor have I ever used different power supplies on the Qutest (or any Chord DAC actually) but I did find I suffered from a little listening fatigue when running the Qutest on mains for a few hours, compared to a Poweradd Pilot Pro 2 battery pack. I also noticed when using the battery pack and optical for source, the instruments that should sound hard sounded harder and the instruments that should sound soft, sounded softer. I will caveat this with the fact that I had in the previous week been reading here, conversations between Rob and others regarding the absence of RF sounding like this, so perhaps I heard what I wanted to hear. This can definitely be a very real and powerful phenomenon by the way....I remember being completely amazed by the huge uplift in sound quality when first trying Tidal Masters, only to discover an hour or so later that I hadn’t actually enabled them. This was a very valuable lesson and has probably saved me a few quid in recent years as I now listen to new equipment and recordings very differently.

Either way, to my now very sceptical ears, optical and battery powered sounds best. Given it provides the most isolation available, that at least seems logical (YMMV). Would I be able to tell the difference in a blind test? No chance, but it is definitely the least fatiguing for me, I can listen for many hours using optical and a battery pack. That must be a good sign.

And so, after all that, my question:

@Rob Watts each time I want to listen, I just connect the battery pack to the Qutest, then disconnect when I’m done. Does this way of powering the Qutest do it any harm, compared to having it continuously powered on mains?

None at all; except wearing on the connector, but pull it out at the battery side.

Dec 17, 2018 at 12:45 AM Post #2,602 of 6,736
I’ve just gone around to modify a whole bunch of posts in this thread. Whilst one or two of you have done the right thing to report on a post, please refrain from replying to it. It creates a whole trail for Mods to have to review/moderate/update. Further, readers can exhibit restraint from carrying on the disagreement for multiple pages. There is nothing constructive nor educational from that. A -healthy- constructive criticism in an educational/respectful manner goes a long way than a destructive name calling criticism.

Dec 17, 2018 at 3:53 AM Post #2,604 of 6,736
**lastly i was talking to a drummer who uses studio recording professonal dacs vs the consumer ones.
says they're often cheaper and better sounding than many of the consumer oriented ones.
suggested names like the B2 Boomer, Larvy, Prism Sound, Forssell, Burl.

can anyone comment?

To be honest apart from the ADC aspect of a lot of pro DACs they're essentially the same as consumer DACs. They use the same DAC chips. They're also built to a "what goes in is what comes out" philosophy - no sweetening of the audio, which is something I think a few consumer DAC manufacturers indulge in despite seeing flat measurements.

What makes them more bang for the buck however is that they are very utilitarian in nature. Casings are typically pressed sheet metal, not oversized milled aluminium. Controls tend to be a pretty basic affair, simple push buttons and small rotary controls, information tends to be provided by banks of cheap LEDs rather than displays, some like my old Steinberg audio interface simply have one LED to indicate power.

In fact I'd go as far to say that the most expensive part of a pro DAC is the bit on the inside (electronics), whereas the most expensive part of a consumer DAC, especially the high end ones, is likely to be the bit on the outside (casing and other bling) as far as a bill of parts is concerned.

Pro audio is quite cost sensitive and business like in it's approach. If a $150 audio interface will get the job done, then it doesn't make economical sense spending $1000 or more for what is essentially the same thing. The pro audio manufacturers know this and price accordingly.

I've long been of the opinion that if you want a great sounding system at a budget price and you're not worried about aesthetics then build it from pro audio equipment.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back