Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
Dec 16, 2018 at 12:02 PM Post #2,581 of 6,743
Well done, you didn't actually manage call anybody any names, but it was close.

You do realise what you did there was to imply that those who prefer the iFi black label were hearing impaired, and then followed that up by effectively saying that those who preferred something other than a Chord DAC were closed minded and uncultured.

This is a bloody cult isn't it. A dogma. You do realise that this single minded attitude displayed by various people is actually probably quite damaging to Chord themselves, a company that I also have a lot of respect for, given that potential future customers probably read Head-Fi as well.

I give up, I'm going for a beer.
Oh, man. I can see now you were only looking for a good argument. And if you can't win it, you rather go for a beer. Enjoy.

Dec 16, 2018 at 12:27 PM Post #2,582 of 6,743
Oh, man. I can see now you were only looking for a good argument. And if you can't win it, you rather go for a beer. Enjoy.

I've already won the argument for my own sakes, but I have to admit defeat in that I doubt I'll ever get through to a Chord die hard that, yes, there is life outside and there are equally good alternatives.

I wish you well in your audio endeavours, sincerely I do, as I hope you wish me well in mine.

Dec 16, 2018 at 12:30 PM Post #2,583 of 6,743
I've already won the argument for my own sakes, but I have to admit defeat in that I doubt I'll ever get through to a Chord die hard that, yes, there is life outside and there are equally good alternatives.

I wish you well in your audio endeavours, sincerely I do, as I hope you wish me well in mine.
Sure I do mate. Happy listening.

Dec 16, 2018 at 12:46 PM Post #2,584 of 6,743
Have you ever heard the ADI-2 DAC, moreover have you ever heard in direct comparison to the Qutest?

I ask this because I recently bought an ADI-2 DAC. It was an "any port in a storm" kind of thing - one of my old audio monitors died and I need to replace them, but I replaced with some that were considerably more powerful. This meant that I discovered that at low level listening my audio interface had a channel imbalance on the volume pot. OK, so I thought I might as well upgrade the audio interface as well. I did my research and the ADI-2 DAC ticked all of the boxes for my requirements and the reviews seemed favourable, so I ordered it unheard, knowing I could return it.

When I put it in my system I was blown away by the level of detail, depth, soundstage positioning both left to right and front to back - I was a very happy chappy, however there was this niggle that I had that was saying "should I have gone Hugo2"

Well, to find out I booked some time at my local Chord dealer to listen to the Hugo2, and yesterday I went there with the ADI-2 DAC to do a face off. 50% of the testing was done using the dealers Beyer DT1990 Pro as these are the headphones I use for mixing, and really with these headphones there was nothing to call between the two. I felt that the Hugo2 had touch more air, but the ADI-2 was more touch more solid in it's presentation, but this was splitting hairs, it was 6 of one and half a dozen of the other.

So we moved up to the high end stuff - Utopias, LCD4s, and to be honest the same thing happened. Both provided a level of detail that I couldn't differentiate between, but as before the Hugo2 had a touch more air and the ADI being a touch more solid. At times I felt that the Hugo2 had the edge with the high end headphones, but I was also aware that maybe I wanted to like the Hugo2 more as I'd been eyeing up the Hugo2 for sometime, had read all of the praise heaped upon it, was already an impressed Mojo owner.

So I took a break, went outside for some fresh air, and tried to get my mind into an objective state.

I went back in and back to the listening determined to be completely objective, and the end result was that it was simply too close to call. Then I decided to do the acid test - the HD800. I don't own a pair because while I truly appreciate the technical ability of the headphone, it's one that I simply couldn't live with through potential fatigue. No matter what filter I used on the Hugo2 I couldn't get a sound that wouldn't end up fatiguing me, on the ADI-2 DAC I simply knocked the treble down slightly and gave it a slight bass boost, and suddenly I has a pair of HD800's that I could listen too all day with no loss of detail.

So the end result is that the ADI-2 DAC is on my desk this morning and not the Hugo2. I still feel that the Hugo2 had slightly, and I mean very slightly more authority with the higher end stuff, but that's all it is, a feeling, a very subjective thing.

Oh, and also the dealer is now trying to source RME gear - he was impressed as well.

Given that the Qutest is essentially the Hugo2 without the headphone amp then I would expect there would be little to call SQ wise between the Qutest and the ADI-2 to my ears, and the feature set of the ADI-2 makes it a clear winner for my particular usage case.

[RANT ON]

[Removed by Mod: reminder, in the future report the post but DO NOT REPLY to the post. It’s just added work for mods to review]

[/RANT OFF]

Same here, Hugo 2 was not in the same league and I sold mine.

The Hugo / Qutest sound has a processed edge to it, as if it is doing some sort of mild DSP...

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 16, 2018 at 12:54 PM Post #2,585 of 6,743
Same here, Hugo 2 was not in the same league and I sold mine.

The Hugo / Qutest sound has a processed edge to it, as if it is doing some sort of mild DSP...

Well personally I thought they were about even - give or take. I'd happily own one or the other, or both :wink:. However, as I said, once sound was out of the way it was the feature set of the ADI-2, and it's suitability for my needs that swung it for me.

Edit: Anyway I'm going to bow out now and hopefully put this thread back on the topic of the Qutest, which is after all what this thread is about.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2018 at 1:37 PM Post #2,586 of 6,743
In defence of the Hugo 2 and I guess the Qutest. It took me a month to adjust to the Hugo 2. That was from having a Mojo in use all the time before.

At first the Hugo 2 simply outfaced me with detail and I could barely place it all. I had to adjust to the new soundstage. Tonality etc. However even from the start I could tell that the Hugo 2 was right. I knew though, how long it took me to adjust to the Mojo. Thus when I got the Hugo 2, and was knocked out by how good it was. I just played music for a month to get used to it. Even to this day (exactly a year later) I can not believe my ears with the Hugo 2.

When folk talk about other DACs being thicker sounding, are they doing it right? Rob Watts puts huge super-caps in the TT range to get full current when needed, to get full musicality. .. Many other DACs are probably just adding bass.; thus losing definition.

It doesn't mean either that the Hugo 2 then sounds thin. Far from it. ... However with extra detail on notes, and maybe not 100% current when needed. Then folk are going to say Chord DAC sound thin, or bright. Which is measurable and observable tosspot.

Secondly if your headphones sound bright with Chord kit, then you bought the wrong headphones. Other DACs may let you tweak bass and treble EQ etc. However it means you are now slave to your headphone choice. The reverse argument is that Chord owners are slave to their DACs. Whereas the option of a flat response DAC is ideal for me. You have to start somewhere (in my opinion.) Otherwise you have no reference sound in your system.

I really honestly think I would not buy something like HD800S. Maybe only maybe. However until I am sure, I simply will not buy. I will never buy another bright headphone for as long as I live. I am sick of EQ. I hate it!

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2018 at 1:44 PM Post #2,587 of 6,743
Well personally I thought they were about even - give or take. I'd happily own one or the other, or both :wink:. However, as I said, once sound was out of the way it was the feature set of the ADI-2, and it's suitability for my needs that swung it for me.

Edit: Anyway I'm going to bow out now and hopefully put this thread back on the topic of the Qutest, which is after all what this thread is about.
I owned and loved Mojo. I think the spacious and airy presentation it offers is exceptional in its price range. The airiness, spaciousness and natural presentation it offers I found much more enjoyable than the thicker timbre and more 'sound system-like' approach of the iDSD BL. Mojo is more refined and delicate IMO. Even though the iDSD BL can impress more if someone is completely new to higher-end audio.

Chord DACs are nothing but impressive. I found Hugo2 impressive too. Definitely more details and better extension both to bass and treble than Mojo. Obvious leap in sound quality vs Mojo. Often you can read however, Chord DACs are exceptional but their amp section is not that great.
While I know these circuits are pretty much one in Chord devices and you can't really speak about separate DAC and amp sections, I sort of understand the critics too. Chord DAC/amps are extremely transparent. (What I prefer.) Many audiophiles however like some coloration that an amp brings to the picture.

Atm I use a 2Qute and a CMA600i. I find this pairing exceptionally good, especially for the price. For £1200 (what I paid for the combo) 2Qute brings the extreme clarity, spaciousness and details to the picture while the CMA600i adds extra extension, a bit of body and thickness while remaining neutral, extra spacious, and detailed with good macro and micro dynamics. The Questyle amp adds smoothness and fun to the Chord DAC. Perhaps this is the most enjoyable, fatigue-free and smooth presentation while maintaining the most details, sound-stage and all SS goodness in a current-mode presentation.

I think, this system rivals Hugo2. In fact I'd choose my setup vs Hugo2 alone.

I was also wondering about getting a Hugo TT. After a very brief listening Hugo TT sounds more spacious and airy, while Hugo 2 sounds more natural in timbre and presentation but more intimate. Hugo2 has a smaller soundstage and a more closed in experience vs Hugo TT.
I wish I could afford Hugo TT2, but that's very much out of my budget atm.

Dec 16, 2018 at 1:57 PM Post #2,588 of 6,743
Hi Guys,

I have a bit of an odd issue on my qutest. It has been running fine with absolutely no issues since purchase, and today I put the optical feed in from my CD player and it sounded a bit quiet and distorted. I have now tried all inputs and getting the same distorted very quiet sound.. have I accidentally turned on some random mode? I was looking forward to a week of chilled out listening for the xmas holidays, concerned there might be an issue now :frowning2:

I have tried the 3 different volt settings and it is equally as bad. I have switched phono inputs, and have also tried another DAC which is working fine. If the issue is immediately evident to anyone please let me know if the resolution.

Dec 16, 2018 at 2:04 PM Post #2,589 of 6,743
I was also wondering about getting a Hugo TT. After a very brief listening Hugo TT sounds more spacious and airy, while Hugo 2 sounds more natural in timbre and presentation but more intimate. Hugo2 has a smaller soundstage and a more closed in experience vs Hugo TT.
I wish I could afford Hugo TT2, but that's very much out of my budget atm.
Have you seen the AudioSanctuary deal on TT?
https://www.audiosanctuary.co.uk/chord-hugo-tt-desktop-dac-headphone-amplifier.html

Dec 16, 2018 at 2:13 PM Post #2,590 of 6,743
Dec 16, 2018 at 2:16 PM Post #2,591 of 6,743
Hi Guys,

I have a bit of an odd issue on my qutest. It has been running fine with absolutely no issues since purchase, and today I put the optical feed in from my CD player and it sounded a bit quiet and distorted. I have now tried all inputs and getting the same distorted very quiet sound.. have I accidentally turned on some random mode? I was looking forward to a week of chilled out listening for the xmas holidays, concerned there might be an issue now :frowning2:

I have tried the 3 different volt settings and it is equally as bad. I have switched phono inputs, and have also tried another DAC which is working fine. If the issue is immediately evident to anyone please let me know if the resolution.

The question really is what did you change or do different? When you say it happened when you put the optical in from your CD player, how were you listening immediately prior to that?

Dec 16, 2018 at 4:27 PM Post #2,593 of 6,743
That's a very good deal on the TT1. I have a secondhand offer of £1800 on the TT1. I am still hesitant whether if it is worth it over the Hugo2 (which you can get for £1300 secondhand) or over my current £1200 system: 2Qute and CMA600i. (RRP for my system would be £2200 atm). I am happy but always looking for improvements.

If I were you, I would be prepared to save for the TT2. The reason being that the TT2 will support the whole one million taps of the M-Scaler. Or even for now trade in your 2Qute for the Qutest, which supports the whole M-Scaler. (Or keep your 2Qute and buy a Qutest. Whatever you know.)

I may be wrong. However the Hugo TT only supports 384KHz in, and I 'think' it will not support full M-Scaler. I think you need 768KHz in to take full advantage of M-Scaler. Whereas the majority of the magic of the m-Scaler happens between half a million, and a million taps. ... Whereas, I think 384KHz input on coaxial, means you can only utilise half of the M-Scaler taps. Check that though, because this is what I think I have learned.

As of right now, the M-Scaler might not be right up on your list. However Qutest and M-Scaler is said to be better than DAVE. What more can I say?

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2018 at 4:43 PM Post #2,594 of 6,743
If I were you, I would be prepared to save for the TT2. The reason being that the TT2 will support the whole one million taps of the M-Scaler. Or even for now trade in your 2Qute for the Qutest, which supports the whole M-Scaler. (Or keep your 2Qute and buy a Qutest. Whatever you know.)

I may be wrong. However the Hugo TT only supports 384KHz in, and I 'think' it will not support full M-Scaler. I think you need 768KHz in to take full advantage of M-Scaler. Whereas the majority of the magic of the m-Scaler happens between half a million, and a million taps. ... Whereas, I think 384KHz input on coaxial, means you can only utilise half of the M-Scaler taps. Check that though, because this is what I think I have learned.

As of right now, the M-Scaler might not be right up on your list. However Qutest and M-Scaler is said to be better than DAVE. What more can I say?
I can not spend more than £2000. I don't care much about DSD, I mostly listen to FLAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back