Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
Dec 8, 2018 at 7:21 PM Post #2,551 of 6,736
Qutest takes things to a whole new level. Every sound from the deepest of bass to highest treble is better. Separation of instruments and notes is incredible. It doesnt seem to matter how high the treble or low the bass, sounds dont meld. The depth and placement of instruments on the soundstage natural and precise.

Sounded so good I had to sacrifice the TV and table in the living room and get it out of the way of the Vandy 3a's rear firing bass.

I've never heard a better soundstage and placement of instruments.

Attachments

• 20181208_164549.jpg
    20181208_164549.jpg
    1,019.5 KB · Views: 0
Dec 9, 2018 at 7:12 AM Post #2,552 of 6,736
Is there any 2Qute owner (or previous 2Qute owner) who upgraded to the Qutest?

To my experience Chord builds the best DACs. The transparency, separation, spaciousness, dynamics, control, speed, tightness, details are just outstanding.
I am pretty much on a budget, £500 is quite a step for me. At the moment I use a 2Qute to my Questyle CMA-600i. 2Qute vastly improves the built in DAC of the 600i.
I also use an iFi iPurifier 3 which adds extra cleanliness and air to the picture. I simply can't listen without this tiny device anymore. :)

I am very happy with my current system, but you know, you constantly look for improvements in this hobby. :)

My question after describing my circumstances is whether the upgrade to the Qutest really worth it sound-wise? I heard it is not that far from 2Qute. Especially if I further clean the signal with the iPurifier 3 I guess. Any thoughts from someone who knows both 2Qute and Qutest? (I also have to add I paid only £500 for my 2Qute. Therefore upgrading to the Qutest would mean paying more than double for any sonic improvements.)

I posted my impressions a few pages back, #2533, in response to ”hornytoad” asking the same question and I agree with the answers you got.
The sound signature is identical with the Qutest adding some refinement. It’s not a night and day difference
but rather the next step in the evolution of Chord sound. If you have to pay more than double what you payed for 2Qute
I’d think twice about it. Best thing as always is if you can arrange a home demo.
And by the way even the Qutest respond, if ever so slightly, to different PSU’s.

Dec 9, 2018 at 10:07 AM Post #2,554 of 6,736
subbed.
this qutest does most interest me.

might go for this qutest dac with the monoprice cavelli liquid platinum
or woo wa22...or others....i like how with the qutest filters you can tweak the
sound slightly for better matching to an amp. (anyone tried the qutest with the cavelli?)

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2018 at 8:24 AM Post #2,555 of 6,736
In the pursuit of the most intoxicating blissful musical experience one has to employ a "cost no object" frame of mind. i've gone from a yulong u100 to a hugo2/hms it's fantastic.:sunglasses:

Dec 13, 2018 at 5:52 PM Post #2,556 of 6,736
Hi,
Has anyone tried the new Jplay Femto with the Qutest? I could make it work with Chord Kernel streaming driver + dac link at 45hz + Ultrastream + force Bitstream at 24 Bit. Are there other settings that would work?

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2018 at 10:47 AM Post #2,559 of 6,736
Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 14, 2018 at 12:30 PM Post #2,560 of 6,736
If this guy like 2qute whith Mcru power supply(that sounds horrible) and don't hear difference between Qutest and cheap DAC or he use very bad low resolution system. [Edited by Mod]
some people just like to bash succesfull companies for no reason ... Generaly some people dont like resolving gear that exposes problems of their systems. Lower end dacs dont expose problems like good dacs do so that the case maybe?

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 14, 2018 at 12:33 PM Post #2,561 of 6,736
some people just like to bash succesfull companies for no reason ... Generaly some people dont like resolving gear that exposes problems of their systems. Lower end dacs dont expose problems like good dacs do so that the case maybe?
On Qutest's level everything becomes personal. Some people absolutely go crazy for sushi, some hate it. It is a matter of taste and hearing.

Dec 14, 2018 at 12:42 PM Post #2,562 of 6,736
On Qutest's level everything becomes personal. Some people absolutely go crazy for sushi, some hate it. It is a matter of taste and hearing.
ye youre right. I just dont think that chord dacs bright... Sabre dacs are bright, but i think Chord tuning is spot on. Maybe if 1 have analytical headphones then they prefer warmer tuning. But 2qute and Dave i heard sounded very spot on.

Dec 14, 2018 at 12:46 PM Post #2,563 of 6,736
ye youre right. I just dont think that chord dacs bright... Sabre dacs are bright, but i think Chord tuning is spot on. Maybe if 1 have analytical headphones then they prefer warmer tuning. But 2qute and Dave i heard sounded very spot on.
I agree with you. I am quite treble sensitive, but can't imagine having anything else than a Chord DAC. They are just so revealing, spacious, detailed, natural. I love the soundstage depth and airiness they give. That said I am into darker and warmer headphones, currently running LCD2C.

Dec 14, 2018 at 12:56 PM Post #2,564 of 6,736
I agree with you. I am quite treble sensitive, but can't imagine having anything else than a Chord DAC. They are just so revealing, spacious, detailed, natural. I love the soundstage depth and airiness they give. That said I am into darker and warmer headphones, currently running LCD2C.
I dont like many headphones to have, but im missing HD650 these days... Might as well buy some audeze later...

Dec 14, 2018 at 1:02 PM Post #2,565 of 6,736
Sorry. Maybe I was too rude.
But sometimes people compensate an odd sound of their system with one odd sounding component that corrects sound of this system.
And to see a difference between different sources you need to have speakers and amplifier on appropriate level.
You can't listen difference of source transparency thought muddy amplifier and speakers.
But sometimes oddly emphases upper mid (like for example, 2qute with MCRU power supply) will let you feel - yes this source is "detailed"..
Chord DACs with their regular power supplies has very good and musical balance.
I compared Mojo to iFi iDSD Black. In my system both had a good tonal balance, but a difference in the level of transparency was very obvious.
Mojo was much better DAC in this regard.
But I had 2qute and it sounds bigger and much more transparent and alive compared to Mojo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back