Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
Oct 29, 2020 at 5:48 PM Post #5,176 of 6,740
Hello. I'm about to buy a Chord Qutest. I have a Chord Mojo, a cheap Schiit Multibit and a Topping E30 and the internal dac (ESS SABRE) that comes with my NAD M10. Though scientists say there's no difference in sound between DAC, I can hear some difference between those DACs, mostly when comparing the MOJO vs the E30. Because the upgrade bug has bitten me and I'm always trying to get better sound, I pointing towards the Qutest based on all the great reviews I've read.

My simple question is: Being that my preference is on the most analytical/most detailed possible sound, do you think the Qutest is the right DAC to choose or do you know a better one in that analytical/detailed sound? I love hearing each and every subtle details of the recording as well as having the best imaging and soundstage possible.

Would you recommend me the Qutest? I do my hearing basically using streaming services like TIDAL MASTERS and QOBUZ HI - RES. I know the QUTEST doesnt handle MQA files but I guess the HI RES versions on QOBUZ should be the same? I'm also willing to buy music at HDTRACKS.

Thank you very much for your suggestions and recommendations!

You won't be disappointed.
I also went from mojo to Qutest mainly because i can switch the 'warm' filter off that is fixed in mojo. It opens up the top end giving better perceived soundstage and micro details imo.
Further it has a better refined sound overall.

And later u can upgrade it further using the Mscaler.

Oct 30, 2020 at 3:11 AM Post #5,179 of 6,740
I use a Qutest and love it. But you might want to check out the RME ADI 2 which is getting a lot of love and maybe has even more detail.

I had the RME ADI 2 and was able to compare it back to back with my Qutest over a number of weeks. You say maybe the RME ADI 2 has more detail but to me it was simply harsher, so much so that I could only listen to it by selecting a filter that had significant top end roll off. Also, despite the protestations of the RME ADI 2 designer I found that it was really very susceptible to the quality of the power supply and the factory one did it no favours. The RME ADI 2 was not a keeper by any stretch of the imagination and was sold as soon as I could.

Oct 30, 2020 at 3:14 AM Post #5,180 of 6,740
Or checking out a LPS. Many of us got a nice upgrade witth the Allo or Shbooster.

Agreed although for me the Allo was improved significantly by changing out the factory captive DC output leads. I liked the SBooster a lot (more than the Allo) but I have now settled on using a Farad Super3 as being even better.

Oct 30, 2020 at 4:44 AM Post #5,181 of 6,740
Thanks all for helping!!
so I need to find the 75ohm cable with 1 RCA and one BNC 50ohm connector.
Thanks again.
other cable advises are welcome.

I did buy a custom made coax, better quality, cable with the right plugs.
Now after playing cd’s all day long it seems all to fit great.
Sound with lot of details, rythm and soundstage.
At this moment I have a Siltech between the Cutest and the V280.
Hopefully I’ll recieve a JohnVanGent interlink today to finish this set up for a while.

Nov 4, 2020 at 2:08 PM Post #5,182 of 6,740
I use a Qutest and love it. But you might want to check out the RME ADI 2 which is getting a lot of love and maybe has even more detail.
ooof.

Suddenly giving me the itch for a new DAC. Enjoying my OG 2Cute, but always open to an upgrade. ADI-2 looks pretty sweet.

Nov 4, 2020 at 2:30 PM Post #5,183 of 6,740
ooof.

Suddenly giving me the itch for a new DAC. Enjoying my OG 2Cute, but always open to an upgrade. ADI-2 looks pretty sweet.
I went from a Hugo 2 (actually 2 Hugo 2’s) to the RME ADI 2 DAC.
I really love Chord stuff, and if I come into a pile of cash, I’ll probably spring for a TT2

That being said, I don’t feel like I lost any sound quality with the RME. Actually, my Andros sound better/quieter/cleaner out of the ADI-2.
I can also slightly tweak my HD800S with a bit of EQ, and it made them more enjoyable.

(I know the discussion is about the Qutest, but there’s definitely some similarities with the Hugo 2)

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2020 at 12:20 AM Post #5,185 of 6,740
ooof.

ajreynol, I know exactly how having that new gear itch feels because I just today ordered a brand new Woo Audio WA22 headphone amplifier. Stupid me. Lol. But when it comes to getting a new DAC I can’t recommend highly enough the Chord Qutest. Super nice construction with a sound that is very clean and satisfyingly musical. And it doesn’t cost $10K.

Attachments

• 94D16562-D81D-4ABC-929B-766FB1F54FD7.jpeg
    94D16562-D81D-4ABC-929B-766FB1F54FD7.jpeg
    5.3 MB · Views: 0
Nov 5, 2020 at 12:21 PM Post #5,186 of 6,740
Has anyone seen these? New Qutest system stand. This picture shows Quest and the phono stage pre-amp stacked. This is supposed to keep your Qutest cool and I think will help with isolation. These individual units are stackable.

I'm planning on getting one. I keep my Qutest in-between the two chassis of my Woo Audio WA6-SE. I had always thought in the back of my mind that further isolating Qutest(might) give a bit of sonic benefit. Either way I like the clean look and I think it will work well for me.

Thoughts?

QSS-Stacked-rack-900x675.jpg

https://chordelectronics.co.uk/product/qutest-stand-system/

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2020 at 1:38 PM Post #5,188 of 6,740
Has anyone seen these? New Qutest system stand. This picture shows Quest and the phono stage pre-amp stacked. This is supposed to keep your Qutest cool and I think will help with isolation. These individual units are stackable.

I'm planning on getting one. I keep my Qutest in-between the two chassis of my Woo Audio WA6-SE. I had always thought in the back of my mind that further isolating Qutest(might) give a bit of sonic benefit. Either way I like the clean look and I think it will work well for me.

Thoughts?

QSS-Stacked-rack-900x675.jpg

https://chordelectronics.co.uk/product/qutest-stand-system/
Looks smart.
Hopefully the Qutest family will soon include a digital amp, streamer, plus a mini mscaler that will fit in that stand system.
Calm down everyone, but it always helps to dream in these troubled covid times.

Nov 5, 2020 at 2:18 PM Post #5,190 of 6,740
Never seen that. How much is it and what does the rumble button do?

I'm not sure about the price. As far as I know this was just announced.

In regards to the rumble button. That's a feature on the Chord phono stage. In the picture I posted the Chord Qutest is the unit on top, in it's own system stand. The bottom unit, is the phono stage in it's own system stand. These are two separate units stacked upon each other. Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back