Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
Nov 7, 2020 at 8:26 AM Post #5,207 of 6,746
just noticed that the 2Qute was released in Jan-2015 and the Qutest three years later in Jan-2018...
Any expectations for Jan-2021?

ive been thinking the same. The Qute line gets updated regularly.
Personally I would love a Qute4 with an enhanced WTA2 output stage with volume control and no other changes. So those of us with MScalers don’t need to buy TT2 to get an equivalent sound.

Oh and a 12v DC supply with DC barrel connector to avoid fiddley USB power connector and one less switcher in the chain (which currently takes 5V to 12v internally.)

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2020 at 12:24 PM Post #5,208 of 6,746
I have had my M-scaler and Quetest hooked up with a standard plastic Toslink cable from an OPPO 205 since it was installed, recently I bought and installed a JIB digital Toslink cable for a very reasonable 35ish euros on Amazon and am reporting here as it has made considerable gains in clarity and naturalness. I had tried spdif but encountered interference from light switches. In my opinion, this JIB Toslink is well worth the price.
I could only find one review (which I read after purchase).
JIB ‘Digital Glass’ Toslink Cable | Ultra High-End Audio and Home Theater Review

Nov 7, 2020 at 1:37 PM Post #5,209 of 6,746
Well, Chord Hugo 2 was introduced in early 2017. I am not sure whether they will make a new version. I mean they just introduced 2go this year. Looks like they are willing to let it run for longer. Given that, I would at least wait till next Jan to decide whether invest a Qutest/Hugo

Nov 7, 2020 at 1:40 PM Post #5,210 of 6,746
I have had my M-scaler and Quetest hooked up with a standard plastic Toslink cable from an OPPO 205 since it was installed, recently I bought and installed a JIB digital Toslink cable for a very reasonable 35ish euros on Amazon and am reporting here as it has made considerable gains in clarity and naturalness. I had tried spdif but encountered interference from light switches. In my opinion, this JIB Toslink is well worth the price.
I could only find one review (which I read after purchase).
JIB ‘Digital Glass’ Toslink Cable | Ultra High-End Audio and Home Theater Review
Quality at a reasonable price. I will never understand why they go for the gold plastic on optical cables, though...

Nov 7, 2020 at 4:13 PM Post #5,211 of 6,746
Today I upgraded from a Chord Qutest to a Hugo TT2 DAC amp. I’ve got a fully balanced Woo WA22 amp arriving this coming week. I can only hope that this DAC will complete the redux of my whole headphone listening experience.

Attachments

• 8BEA8B49-A79D-4164-8B1A-BD6211A0E78D.jpeg
    8BEA8B49-A79D-4164-8B1A-BD6211A0E78D.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 448CDCEF-9812-4A54-9586-FBE2EFC55F32.jpeg
    448CDCEF-9812-4A54-9586-FBE2EFC55F32.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
Nov 9, 2020 at 12:55 PM Post #5,213 of 6,746
Today I upgraded from a Chord Qutest to a Hugo TT2 DAC amp.

Did you consider to go for Mscaler pair up with Qutest too.. Or u own one already?

Nov 9, 2020 at 2:26 PM Post #5,214 of 6,746
Did you consider to go for Mscaler pair up with Qutest too.. Or u own one already?
I auditioned an Mscaler hooked up to a Hugo TT2 a couple of weeks ago. I wasn’t that impressed. I’m an hp guy and I like to keep my listening chain as simple as possible. Going from the Qutest to the TT2 was the real revealing upgrade to my system. IMO the Mscaler only added maybe another 10 to 15% of enjoyment, and only on a few of my recordings. Not worth another $5K to me at this time.

Nov 9, 2020 at 2:43 PM Post #5,215 of 6,746
Well, Chord Hugo 2 was introduced in early 2017. I am not sure whether they will make a new version. I mean they just introduced 2go this year. Looks like they are willing to let it run for longer. Given that, I would at least wait till next Jan to decide whether invest a Qutest/Hugo
Read the interview Chord gave in 2019. The reference to streamers extending the product life, implies that Hugo 2 will not be replaced in the near future.

Nov 11, 2020 at 12:10 PM Post #5,216 of 6,746
I auditioned an Mscaler hooked up to a Hugo TT2 a couple of weeks ago. I wasn’t that impressed. I’m an hp guy and I like to keep my listening chain as simple as possible. Going from the Qutest to the TT2 was the real revealing upgrade to my system. IMO the Mscaler only added maybe another 10 to 15% of enjoyment, and only on a few of my recordings. Not worth another $5K to me at this time.

Do you still have the Qutest.. and if yes did you tried connecting your HP directly to the RCA's? I use it that way.. cause i figured any amp in the chain only decreases SQ. Imo TT2 sounds better mainly caused of this.

I would like to compare a TT2 to a direct driven Qutest side by side..

I'm still in a strugle whether or not to fight my non HiFi believing wife for justification to drain our wallet for the Mscaler If only i knew the price would get adjusted in the future😆

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2020 at 2:02 PM Post #5,217 of 6,746
Do you still have the Qutest.. and if yes did you tried connecting your HP directly to the RCA's? I use it that way.. cause i figured any amp in the chain only decreases SQ. Imo TT2 sounds better mainly caused of this.

I would like to compare a TT2 to a direct driven Qutest side by side..

I'm still in a strugle whether or not to fight my non HiFi believing wife for justification to drain our wallet for the Mscaler If only i knew the price would get adjusted in the future😆
No Reactcore, I traded my Qutest for the Hugo TT2 because the TT sounds at least twice as good, and because it gives me so many more listening options than the Qutest. I use this Woo WA22 headphone amplifier to drive my Grado GS3000e hp’s. If there are any weaknesses in your listening chain this amp will reveal them, and this amp told me that I’d be a fool not to get the TT2. Mmmm, let me see, Chord Mscaler or a all inclusive trip to the Bahamas for my family? Our flight leaves next week.

Attachments

• 1871D00C-D3FA-4130-8481-A1EA0835141A.jpeg
    1871D00C-D3FA-4130-8481-A1EA0835141A.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Nov 11, 2020 at 5:16 PM Post #5,218 of 6,746
Mmmm, let me see, Chord Mscaler or a all inclusive trip to the Bahamas for my family? Our flight leaves next week.

Sounds like you have your priorities straight. I would not buy something like an Mscaler unless the amount of money it costs was totally insignificant to me and I could easily afford something like an all inclusive trip to somewhere nice too.

If you must have the Mscaler, just wait a little. I can assure you that the price of hardware and software can only go down. They might even lose the Fisher Price colored ball styling. Now that would sure be a bonus!

Nov 11, 2020 at 5:32 PM Post #5,219 of 6,746
Sounds like you have your priorities straight. I would not buy something like an Mscaler unless the amount of money it costs was totally insignificant to me and I could easily afford something like an all inclusive trip to somewhere nice too.

If you must have the Mscaler, just wait a little. I can assure you that the price of hardware and software can only go down. They might even lose the Fisher Price colored ball styling. Now that would sure be a bonus!
Hooster, I’ll take a more serious look at an Mscaler, or something like it, when John Watts at Chord figures out what the technology to be determined later is. Thus the three Fischer Price colored balls that don’t indicate anything.

Nov 14, 2020 at 12:12 PM Post #5,220 of 6,746
If you must have an AK dac, then why not go for the Topping D90 with the AK4499 chip?

Beause RME is a much better DAC than Topping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back