Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
Jul 7, 2018 at 11:12 AM Post #1,711 of 6,740
Has anyone compared this DAC to the LKS MH-DA004 or the Gustard x22 Pro? I would consider buying this DAC, but it is not easy to find comparative reviews or a dealer to hear a demo.

Jul 7, 2018 at 2:56 PM Post #1,712 of 6,740
I did compassion on Chord 2qute -
1. Play rip file from Mac (with Amarra SW) connected by USB.
2. Play CD from (CD Player Cary 303/mk1) connected by coaxial.
CD player outperformed Mac by miles.

You should spend tones of money to make you computer sound better than average CD transport.

Nowadays, there is a whole new generation of digital front ends that are superior in performance and rich in features compared to computer playback or cd transports and some like the auralic aries mini offer good value for money not to mention poly/2go type players that are potentially even more future proof. I just cannot see any advantage of cd transports or macs in this day and age.

Jul 7, 2018 at 4:47 PM Post #1,713 of 6,740
Nowadays, there is a whole new generation of digital front ends that are superior in performance and rich in features compared to computer playback or cd transports and some like the auralic aries mini offer good value for money not to mention poly/2go type players that are potentially even more future proof. I just cannot see any advantage of cd transports or macs in this day and age.
I understand your point, but I’m old school. I like to stand at the rack and pull out the cd and read the booklet while listening to the CD even though I have an Aurender N10. BTW, there are still some transports that still outperform many digital front ends like the old Toshiba SD-9200 and the Project CD Box RS.

Jul 7, 2018 at 4:53 PM Post #1,714 of 6,740
Has anyone compared this DAC to the LKS MH-DA004 or the Gustard x22 Pro? I would consider buying this DAC, but it is not easy to find comparative reviews or a dealer to hear a demo.

i heard LKS with last improvement upgrade......... not in the same system, unfortunately it will be very difficult ... impossible from a sample room retailer.
but for what i heard, i think it easy outperform Qutest.
take a look also of R2R DAC, this type of DAC has high price for complex production ...... but you are already evaluating some China DAC.... there is a Singapore firm with lower price for this tipe of DAC...if you don't use extreme upsamples is the best DAC i heard in a 3000$ range... very natural sound. looks Venus model ...if it can be in your range.

Jul 9, 2018 at 9:17 AM Post #1,716 of 6,740
For desktop use, Qutest is cheaper then HUGO 2, so I guess that is one of the advantage.

I used to think galvanic isolation is a design to improve USB performance, but if galvanic isolation design is better, why doesn't HUGO 2 have it?
Is there any trade-off for use galvanic isolation?

Jul 9, 2018 at 2:18 PM Post #1,717 of 6,740
Question for Qutest users: is there a USB cable you would recommend that can be purchased with a 6” or thereabouts length?

My Qutest arrives tomorrow, and since it will be located next to my MacBook Air (repurposed as a server), I’d like a short USB cable with audiophile pretensions.

Jul 9, 2018 at 2:49 PM Post #1,718 of 6,740
Question for Qutest users: is there a USB cable you would recommend that can be purchased with a 6” or thereabouts length?

My Qutest arrives tomorrow, and since it will be located next to my MacBook Air (repurposed as a server), I’d like a short USB cable with audiophile pretensions.

Slightly longer than six inches but Curious do a very good 200mm cable - http://www.curiouscables.com/buy.html

Jul 9, 2018 at 3:00 PM Post #1,719 of 6,740
Jul 9, 2018 at 3:19 PM Post #1,720 of 6,740
431D3294-507E-4A8C-8846-8B0E1AB37F2E.jpeg
That would work, although I wonder about the stiffness of the Curious cable ...
Curious have an excellent returns policy. They will even pay for return postage. So no risk if it doesn’t work for you.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2018 at 3:22 PM Post #1,721 of 6,740

Curious have an excellent returns policy. They will even pay for return postage. So no risk if it doesn’t work for you.

Yep, that works too. Thank you!

Jul 9, 2018 at 7:29 PM Post #1,723 of 6,740
I should have mentioned it is only that flexible sideways. So what you are connecting needs to be on the same level.

That shouldn’t be a problem. My MacBook Air and the Qutest will be on the same shelf although the Qutest’s USB input may be an inch or so higher than the Air’s USB. I’ll know tomorrow.

Jul 10, 2018 at 2:34 AM Post #1,725 of 6,740
I just purchased the Qutest. I want to use the BNC input. I have a good RCA Coaxial cable. Has anyone used one of the cheap RCA->BNC adapters. I don't want to buy a new cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back