Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
Jul 10, 2018 at 3:12 AM Post #1,726 of 6,736
Jul 10, 2018 at 6:13 AM Post #1,727 of 6,736
Yet another of those many "HIFI" reviews on the safe side that don't even once mention any music genres used or resolutions or other vital aspects that would be of any help to me.
Luckily I don't need to go by reviews like this.
Most reviewers these days listen to synthetic pop/rock. Only a few, oldtimers mainly, still have acoustic music as a reference and main listening material. But yes this guy stays on the really safe side of the debate by not using any music at all it seems?
Or did I miss something quickly browsing through the review?

Jul 10, 2018 at 9:59 AM Post #1,729 of 6,736
Yet another of those many "HIFI" reviews on the safe side that don't even once mention any music genres used or resolutions or other vital aspects that would be of any help to me.
Luckily I don't need to go by reviews like this.
Most reviewers these days listen to synthetic pop/rock. Only a few, oldtimers mainly, still have acoustic music as a reference and main listening material. But yes this guy stays on the really safe side of the debate by not using any music at all it seems?
Or did I miss something quickly browsing through the review?
I also was wandering when I visited Montreal audio show, why most of audiophile people today listen such kind of junk music. A big part of music where played, was hardly processed vocal plus electronically synthesized accompaniment.
The same kind of music I see a lot in YouTube hi-end audio equipment videos.
I have two question:
1. How can you review any kind of audio equipment based on this kind of music?
2. Why do you need to spend so mach money for audio equipment to listen this garbage music mastered for boomboxes?

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2018 at 12:49 PM Post #1,730 of 6,736
Jul 10, 2018 at 12:56 PM Post #1,731 of 6,736
I have two question:
1. How can you review any kind of audio equipment based on this kind of music?
2. Why do you need to spend so mach money for audio equipment to listen this garbage music mastered for boomboxes?

I think we may be generalizing here. I listen to all genres of music, and great recordings are not limited to acoustic or classical. For me, the whole purpose of this hobby of ours is to bring me closer to the artist, whatever kind of music it is.

Jul 10, 2018 at 1:30 PM Post #1,732 of 6,736
Guys, what RCA cables are you using for Qutest connection to the amp? I tried here Chord C-Line 0.5m:

Qutest_Chord_C_Line.jpg

Then I tried a QED Performance 40 1m:

Qutest_QED_Performance_40.jpg

The Chord C Line is somehow warmer and has a bigger soundstage but the QED Performance 40 is more analytical and somehow colder, maybe a little bit more detailed in the detriment of musicality. The C Line is new and I will let it run for a few hours before making a final assessment, but I would like to know what other cables are you using, and of course, if you have an opinion about these two. Thanks!

Jul 10, 2018 at 1:47 PM Post #1,733 of 6,736
I think we may be generalizing here. I listen to all genres of music, and great recordings are not limited to acoustic or classical. For me, the whole purpose of this hobby of ours is to bring me closer to the artist, whatever kind of music it is.

I didn't mean, rock music from 60x-70x or blues music. A big part of this music was talented, well played and not bad recorded.
At least at 70th, most of people played music on home speakers.

But a big part of music played by modern audiophile is a junk pop-music.
And the worst of all, modern speaker and headphone designers try to design their product to match this kind of music.
They try to make base as deep as possible and high frequencies as bright as possible at the expense of mid-range and sensitivity.

Jul 10, 2018 at 2:09 PM Post #1,734 of 6,736
Guys, what RCA cables are you using for Qutest connection to the amp? I tried here Chord C-Line 0.5m:

Qutest_Chord_C_Line.jpg

Then I tried a QED Performance 40 1m:

Qutest_QED_Performance_40.jpg

The Chord C Line is somehow warmer and has a bigger soundstage but the QED Performance 40 is more analytical and somehow colder, maybe a little bit more detailed in the detriment of musicality. The C Line is new and I will let it run for a few hours before making a final assessment, but I would like to know what other cables are you using, and of course, if you have an opinion about these two. Thanks!

I'm using Chord C-Line as well.

Jul 10, 2018 at 2:30 PM Post #1,735 of 6,736
I didn't mean, rock music from 60x-70x or blues music. A big part of this music was talented, well played and not bad recorded.

And the worst of all, modern speaker and headphone designers try to design their product to match this kind of music.
They try to make base as deep as possible and high frequencies as bright as possible at the expense of mid-range and sensitivity.

But it's the sacred duty of every generation to make music their parents hate.

You may not remember what people born in the thirties and forties said about rock music from the sixties and seventies - it wasn't generally complimentary.

Jul 10, 2018 at 3:07 PM Post #1,736 of 6,736

You may not remember what people born in the thirties and forties said about rock music from the sixties and seventies - it wasn't generally complimentary.

Yes, it seems that way with generational music, but I’m very surprised these days that so many millennials that I come into contact with enjoy music I grew up with from the 70s on.

Anyway, I enjoy music going back to the 40s (e.g., big band, jazz) to the most current stuff. Music is my number one passion in life. :L3000:

Jul 10, 2018 at 4:19 PM Post #1,737 of 6,736

The music I told about is not modern. The are a lot such junk music from 70x and 80x too.
You can watch a number of different audiophile system videos in YouTube, and you will understand what I'm talking about...

Jul 10, 2018 at 6:21 PM Post #1,738 of 6,736

It is a complicated drawing so I wouldn't use a broad paintbrush.

Clearly the smartphone generation of today is where the money is so it is not right to blame the music industry alone or the portable mass market equipment designers for that matter.. I think it is also the collective failure of the hi-end community and its supporting industry which failed to get their side of the message across. But fortunately for us, we have the likes of Chord Electronics who are showing a new way of doing things so there is hope, its not all doom and gloom.

Jul 10, 2018 at 7:09 PM Post #1,739 of 6,736
The jazz pianist Joe Sample's album "Invitation" from 1993 is a very good blend of jazz piano and orchestra accompaniment. Give a listen and if a similar recommendation for me and others to try please post.

Jul 11, 2018 at 1:24 PM Post #1,740 of 6,736
2B031212-F6E5-4DF0-99A0-C5585BE41714.jpeg
A73C54C8-A72B-4792-AE74-8A3F401285F4.jpeg

My Qutest arrived yesterday and is getting some run time before I do any critical listening. Next up will likely be a 200mm Curious USB to connect the Qutest to the MacBook Air.

I want to thank Alan and Jason at The Source AV for taking good care of me on my visit to their showroom. Impressive array of high end headphones and electronics!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back