Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
Jul 6, 2018 at 8:50 AM Post #1,696 of 6,740
I suspect that there are a number of issues on the headphone amp - but for sure the noise OP from Qutest is fixed.

Maybe the optical OP's are not bit perfect? Maybe the CD players are creating different RF noise upsetting the Headphone amp? Most likely explanation is each CD player has different error rates. One benefit of ripping is that you can get error free rips, that will always play back the same bit perfect data. I have always found optical to be consistently the same SQ, but I do not have many optical sources.

I like Chandos, so will investigate the Debussy...
Hi Rob,

Could you help me on post #1683 ?

Thank you

C

Jul 6, 2018 at 8:51 AM Post #1,697 of 6,740
Same problem with mine. It's not computer related. Please see my post on this and others threads. Using my others Dacs, namely the one from OPPO 205, there is no problem. And yes the white noise comes always from the right channel...
Thank you,

Did you get any solution for this issue, I looked at you posts, couldn't find it.

Jul 6, 2018 at 10:46 AM Post #1,698 of 6,740
Could you also explain why via optical my two cd players sound so different?
According to the Positive Feedback review of your Xindak SCD2, it upsamples CDs to 24/96. This is why your CD player sounds different than the Xindak. It also explains why Qutest is Red when playing off your CD player and Green when playing off your Xindak. Obviously you should let Qutest do the upsampling rather than the 2004 Xindak do it.

Jul 6, 2018 at 11:13 AM Post #1,700 of 6,740
I suspect that there are a number of issues on the headphone amp - but for sure the noise OP from Qutest is fixed.

Maybe the optical OP's are not bit perfect? Maybe the CD players are creating different RF noise upsetting the Headphone amp? Most likely explanation is each CD player has different error rates. One benefit of ripping is that you can get error free rips, that will always play back the same bit perfect data. I have always found optical to be consistently the same SQ, but I do not have many optical sources.

I like Chandos, so will investigate the Debussy...

Thanks again, another question for you or anybody who feels like responding.
What would be the best way to make sure one actually gets error free rips from rbcds?
How does one confirm they are error free?
Considering how surprisingly listenable some of the rbcds I accidentally found in a wardrobe in my flat in town last weeks sound via Qutest and optical I am thinking of ripping the best.

My only in house option to rip is via the dvd/cd drive on my mbps.
But it captures everything as "unknown album" in iTunes where I store my music.
I would have to tag and label everything manuallly that way. Are there better more automated ways?
Would that way be enough or are there big differences between rippers as well?

I think I have figured out why Qutest seems to receive a 96khz stream via one of the players though.
It has got an upsample function that initially could be engaged via a button on the front.
But quite a few years ago the player which originally played both rbcd/dvds/and SACD both stereo and mch, stopped working altogether.
After sending it for repair it came back playing only rbcds.
Since I had another better player at hand and only rarely played discs by then anyway I haven't bothered to send it back again. But maybe they left the upsampling function on?
The light originally indicating upsampling is not on though.
But all rbcds I have played so far seem to be read as 24/96khz streams by Qutest?
Qutest lights up firmly green.
The other player indicates red native sample rate and is the one I prefer. I know you advice against upsampling outside your DACs too.
Cheers Christer still in awe over how the deep deep bass of last night's BIG live church organ recital made my whole body tremble.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2018 at 11:19 AM Post #1,701 of 6,740
According to the Positive Feedback review of your Xindak SCD2, it upsamples CDs to 24/96. This is why your CD player sounds different than the Xindak. It also explains why Qutest is Red when playing off your CD player and Green when playing off your Xindak. Obviously you should let Qutest do the upsampling rather than the 2004 Xindak do it.

Thanks for your input but the case is EXACTLY the opposite of what you suggest. My Xindak SCD-2 seems to send native 16/44.1 to Qutest but my Philips player seems to send 24/96!
Qutest lights up green with the Philips player and red with the Xindak.
Cheers Christer

Jul 6, 2018 at 12:37 PM Post #1,702 of 6,740
USB is the best interface for qutest, theoretically it should have good performance regardless to your usb port quality as long as you feed the data fast enough. My personal experience is USB on qutest is better than coaxial, it should also be better than the coaxial on Hugo 2.

I think you have a good shot on qutest via USB.

I just wonder if the mini coaxial on the Hugo 2 is same quality as the BNC on the Qutest. From my research other than that, SQ is very similar between Hugo 2 and Qutest purely as a DAC.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2018 at 1:31 PM Post #1,703 of 6,740
Thanks again, another question for you or anybody who feels like responding.
What would be the best way to make sure one actually gets error free rips from rbcds?
How does one confirm they are error free?
Considering how surprisingly listenable some of the rbcds I accidentally found in a wardrobe in my flat in town last weeks sound via Qutest and optical I am thinking of ripping the best.

My only in house option to rip is via the dvd/cd drive on my mbps.
But it captures everything as "unknown album" in iTunes where I store my music.
I would have to tag and label everything manuallly that way. Are there better more automated ways?
Would that way be enough or are there big differences between rippers as well?

I think I have figured out why Qutest seems to receive a 96khs stream via one of the players though.
It has got an upsample function that initially could be engaged via a button on the front.
But quite a few years ago the player which originally played both rbcd/dvds/and SACD both stereo and mch, stopped working altogether.
After sending it for repair it came back playing only rbcds.
Since I had another better player at hand and only rarely played discs by then anyway I haven't bothered to send it back again. But maybe they left the upsampling function on?
The light originally indicating upsampling is not on though.
But all rbcds I have played so far seem to be read as 24/96khz streams by Qutest?
Qutest lights up firmly green.
The other player indicates red native sample rate and is the one I prefer. I know you advice against upsampling outside your DACs too.
Cheers Christer still in awe over how the deep deep bass of last night's BIG live church organ recital made my whole body tremble.
I use Exact Audio Copy software that is free to download. At the end of the rip, it will create a log telling you whether the rip matches the file original file metadata details, or whether there is any deviation/inaccuracy. I borrow some CDs from my mediatheque, and some discs look scratched to the eye but rip 100% accurately, but a few others look perfect to the eye, but rip with a few errors.

Jul 6, 2018 at 1:39 PM Post #1,704 of 6,740
I use Exact Audio Copy software that is free to download. At the end of the rip, it will create a log telling you whether the rip matches the file original file metadata details, or whether there is any deviation/inaccuracy. I borrow some CDs from my mediatheque, and some discs look scratched to the eye but rip 100% accurately, but a few others look perfect to the eye, but rip with a few errors.
Thanks for your input. I'll take a lok at it later. Now I feel like have played so many less than perfect rbcds in the last couple of days that I need to listen more to LPs and hi res again,especially after last night's live organ recital.
I don't really need to rip things until before I leave Sweden again in the autumn when I will listen more forgivingly via headphones all the time again..
Cheers Christer

Jul 6, 2018 at 1:43 PM Post #1,705 of 6,740
I did compassion on Chord 2qute -
1. Play rip file from Mac (with Amarra SW) connected by USB.
2. Play CD from (CD Player Cary 303/mk1) connected by coaxial.
CD player outperformed Mac by miles.

You should spend tones of money to make you computer sound better than average CD transport.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2018 at 8:22 PM Post #1,707 of 6,740
So is it generally accepted the Qutest is superior to Hugo2 for desktop purposes? I’m having a real hard time deciding. Hugo 2 doesn’t have variable power output and BNC.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2018 at 8:38 PM Post #1,708 of 6,740

Users who are viewing this thread

Back