Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
Jun 30, 2018 at 11:43 PM Post #1,651 of 6,740
I just ordered a Qutest and hope to have it 10 days from now.

I owned the original Hugo which played double duty as my speaker system DAC, and as my portable system DAC. I preferred it driving my LCD-XC than I did with my Focal 1008Be speakers, finding the Hugo to be a bit bright sounding with the Focals.

My main system has changed with the addition of the Raidho XT-1 loudspeakers. I still have my Luxman MQ-88 tube amplifier (not the Chinese made MQ-88a), and I can use the Qutest because the Luxman has a variable input with a front chassis mounted level control. My music source is a MacBook Air using Audirvana software.

The Qutest will replace my iDSD micro BL, and I expect there to be a big improvement, especially in resolving low level and transient detail. The iFi sounds very good considering its price, but I’m happy to have a DAC that is more commensurate with the rest of my system. More details to follow once I get my Qutest and get some play time on it ...

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2018 at 1:25 PM Post #1,653 of 6,740
I just got the qutest, thinking about going up to Dave or to pair Blu mk 2 with the qutest. If I only want to use the Blu mk2 (pair with Qutest) as a playback from computer files only, what you guys think would be the better option. Any idea? I only have budget to go for Dave or Blu mk2 at a time. Thanks

Jul 1, 2018 at 1:33 PM Post #1,654 of 6,740
I just got the qutest, thinking about going up to Dave or to pair Blu mk 2 with the qutest. If I only want to use the Blu mk2 (pair with Qutest) as a playback from computer files only, what you guys think would be the better option. Any idea? I only have budget to go for Dave or Blu mk2 at a time. Thanks

Why not give it some time before you decide where to go next.

A number of guys on here have said that they reckon that the sound improves after some burn-in time.

There is speculation (or wishful thinking) that there will be a cheaper option to the Blu2.

Jul 2, 2018 at 8:22 AM Post #1,655 of 6,740

As a solution to a couple of my listening room issues, I am going to trade/sell my Qutest for the Hugo TT2. I was considering a couple of different amps but I can't justify all the additional expenses. It has been suggested that I get a PS Audio Power Plant to fix HVAC noise I posted about earlier...

Jul 2, 2018 at 8:28 AM Post #1,656 of 6,740

Spend a little time with the Qutest, I'm completely smitten with mine.

Jul 2, 2018 at 9:03 AM Post #1,657 of 6,740
Spend a little time with the Qutest, I'm completely smitten with mine.

I absolutely love mine, I just need another amp!

Jul 2, 2018 at 10:09 AM Post #1,659 of 6,740
I'd just get a Hugo 2 and run it off the internal batteries.

I thought about that, but no dual BNC. I'd like to be a bit more future proof.

Jul 2, 2018 at 10:58 AM Post #1,660 of 6,740
I thought about that, but no dual BNC. I'd like to be a bit more future proof.

I think the m scaler can work off the coaxial and 3.5mm jack?

https://www.headphone-earphone.reviews/2017/09/04/chord-hugo-2-review-part-2/
On the other side, we still have the optical input, but the coaxial digital S/PDIF input now takes the space where one of the 3.5mm outputs was and uses a 3.5mm plug, which can be TS (tip and sleeve), TRS (tip-ring-sleeve) or TRRS (tip-ring-ring-sleeve). This is because there are now two coaxial digital inputs, allowing connection of a Chord M-scaler (which sends via both simultaneously).

Jul 2, 2018 at 11:01 AM Post #1,661 of 6,740
I think the m scaler can work off the coaxial and 3.5mm jack?

https://www.headphone-earphone.reviews/2017/09/04/chord-hugo-2-review-part-2/
On the other side, we still have the optical input, but the coaxial digital S/PDIF input now takes the space where one of the 3.5mm outputs was and uses a 3.5mm plug, which can be TS (tip and sleeve), TRS (tip-ring-sleeve) or TRRS (tip-ring-ring-sleeve). This is because there are now two coaxial digital inputs, allowing connection of a Chord M-scaler (which sends via both simultaneously).

Is there a loaner program for the Hugo2? There have been reports that the Qutest sounds better than H2 and also, I'd hope the TT2 sounds better than both of them! Oh, and I have a WA8 so don't really need portability.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2018 at 11:47 AM Post #1,663 of 6,740
Jul 2, 2018 at 11:58 PM Post #1,665 of 6,740
Is there a loaner program for the Hugo2? There have been reports that the Qutest sounds better than H2 and also, I'd hope the TT2 sounds better than both of them! Oh, and I have a WA8 so don't really need portability.

I've auditioned the Hugo2 and it's as if your listening to the music without any electronics in the way. The sound is so clear, it takes conscious adjustment.

The Qutest is resolving, just more musical to my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back