Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
Jun 28, 2018 at 3:07 PM Post #1,636 of 6,740
:ksc75smile:

Jun 28, 2018 at 3:43 PM Post #1,638 of 6,740
Jun 28, 2018 at 5:45 PM Post #1,639 of 6,740
By any chance is anyone copying their vinyl to FLAC or similar? If so what software or device are you using and what bit and frequency are you using? My brother has an album they want $51 for the CD, seriously...

I have a Zoom H2n which will allow me to record 96kHz/24-bit wav
Software Vinyl studio does 96/24 and Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 hardware device connects turntable to PC via usb. and Vinyl studio edits out all pops and clicks from vinyl.

Jun 29, 2018 at 10:44 PM Post #1,640 of 6,740
I listened to the Qutest using a battery pack and the buzz from HVAC is still there so will check with a completely different source and then no source. If still noise, PS Audio is going back.

Jun 30, 2018 at 11:01 AM Post #1,644 of 6,740
Its not the Qutest, Its more than likely something else. I have decided to sell/trade my Qutest and get the TT2 when I have had a chance to audition. No pre-order on this.

Jun 30, 2018 at 2:18 PM Post #1,645 of 6,740
. Hi, I’m a new owner of a qutest in my den system, with some questions. Upstairs and in my headphone system, I use schiit, Gumby and Bimby with audirvana software.
On the schiit Dacs i don’t use audirvana to oversample. It’s it recommended with the qutest not to oversample either. If not are any particular settings recommended for pre ringing etc in the AR software.

So far, I think I prefer no over sampling to max over sampling, but there are a lot of variables in play, including that I may still be in thr burn in period.

How to people feel about using an eitr with the qutest?

Jun 30, 2018 at 3:05 PM Post #1,646 of 6,740
. Hi, I’m a new owner of a qutest in my den system, with some questions. Upstairs and in my headphone system, I use schiit, Gumby and Bimby with audirvana software.
On the schiit Dacs i don’t use audirvana to oversample. It’s it recommended with the qutest not to oversample either. If not are any particular settings recommended for pre ringing etc in the AR software.

So far, I think I prefer no over sampling to max over sampling, but there are a lot of variables in play, including that I may still be in thr burn in period.

https://www.head-fi.org/search/10782093/?q=eitr&t=post&o=relevance&c[thread]=869417

Jun 30, 2018 at 9:57 PM Post #1,647 of 6,740

From their technologies Chord has listed for the Qutest:
  • Galvanic Isolation removes any needs to bypass the USB. Direct USB would be recommended over Eitr.
  • If you have access to an M-Scaler, you could use that to feed a higher sample rate into the Qutest. Otherwise it would be advisable externally to feed just the native audio bit-rate into the DAC, and allow the technology of the Qutest to perform all the steps of D/A conversion internally. Do not upsample.
Where I disagree with what I have read from Chord is on burn in. I would never advise someone to keep something for a long period, but I think a week of playing music should be sufficient. It will sound different from your Bimby and Gumby. And you may still prefer these at the end of that time. Certainly if there is a return period of only a few days, use only that time. I noticed difference in using mine over the course of a week.

Jun 30, 2018 at 10:30 PM Post #1,648 of 6,740
From their technologies Chord has listed for the Qutest:
  • Galvanic Isolation removes any needs to bypass the USB. Direct USB would be recommended over Eitr.
  • If you have access to an M-Scaler, you could use that to feed a higher sample rate into the Qutest. Otherwise it would be advisable externally to feed just the native audio bit-rate into the DAC, and allow the technology of the Qutest to perform all the steps of D/A conversion internally. Do not upsample.
Where I disagree with what I have read from Chord is on burn in. I would never advise someone to keep something for a long period, but I think a week of playing music should be sufficient. It will sound different from your Bimby and Gumby. And you may still prefer these at the end of that time. Certainly if there is a return period of only a few days, use only that time. I noticed difference in using mine over the course of a week.

Thanks
I’m planning on keeping it. Sure it sounds little different but I need a good third dac and variety is the spice of life and then there is dsd.is there a link with the chord info or is it buried in this stream of 110 pages.

Jun 30, 2018 at 10:39 PM Post #1,650 of 6,740
Forgot to ask do they reccomend against rendus and sotms etc too?
Try what you like, but purpose was to simplify life, much like the Gen V in the latest Schiit DACs.

I too use a couple different sources. Enjoy the spice :upside_down:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back