Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Jul 28, 2017 at 9:07 PM Post #6,451 of 22,500
Jul 28, 2017 at 11:28 PM Post #6,454 of 22,500
Last edited:
Jul 29, 2017 at 3:43 AM Post #6,457 of 22,500
Thanks for the musical pointers, now Asura and Com Truise are on my musical wish list.

For purely personal reasons I am hoping my first hi-res purchase to be Vangelis' music played during the main titles of Blade Runner (I'm a movie music fan). Is that available anywhere (in hi-res/dsd or even dxd)? (I have the iTunes mp3 already).

More on topic, might anyone know about Kensington lock support for Chord products? I looked at the manuals for Dave, Mojo, and Hugo2, and couldn't see any slots on those products. But with Chord doing custom casework in their own factory, maybe it's a possibility? Like many of you folks have done, it would be wonderful if I could bring one of these devices to work with me. I would have to use a Kensington lock however or it would not be in my office for long...

Jul 29, 2017 at 5:08 AM Post #6,459 of 22,500
For purely personal reasons I am hoping my first hi-res purchase to be Vangelis' music played during the main titles of Blade Runner (I'm a movie music fan). Is that available anywhere (in hi-res/dsd or even dxd)? (I have the iTunes mp3 already).

As you may know, the Blade Runner soundtrack has a long and interesting history, but I've never found a high resolution version. The Vangelis Blade Runner - Trilogy on Tidal HiFi (lossless CD quality) is the one I listen to.

Jul 29, 2017 at 6:32 AM Post #6,461 of 22,500
but it's a trusted site......:deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::L3000::L3000:
I noticed that too and actually became a bit suspicious just seeing the name "trusted reviews."
And then my virus protection raised the red flag and blocked it so I actually never got to read anything from it.
The only thing I trust are my own ears with regard to HIFI and SQ.
But I have to add that the BBC are actually doing quite a good job with the Proms relays this year in better sQ than ever before and also several in binaural form specifically mastered to be lisgt3ened to via headphones
Bull goes with marketing Schitt. Cynical you doesn't believe otherwise I would have thought.

The guy has clearly been living under a rock.

I was a frequent prommer back in the 80s. Was at the last night one year... Been tempted to return this year.

The Beeb has always liberally multi-mic'd the Proms in my experience. The broadcast sound doesn't catch anything like the acoustic one gets from the arena. It's very dry. Listening to tonight's prom:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08ys057

live, from the uncompressed feed:

https://radio-3-concert-sound.pilots.bbcconnectedstudio.co.uk/

which apparently works world-wide, what I heard is a very dry, but not close, acoustic. You really don't hear the hall sound except on very large transients followed by quiet.

Now playing: 1-uik project - sal e cinzas

Hello Jawed, Yes of course the stereo mic'ing is multi-mic'd but this year it sounds better than ever to me. But the REAL SURPRISE is that there are about ten broadcasts from the Proms online done binaurally, and the ones I have heard so far, Berlioz's Symphonie Fantastique, Sibelius's 2nd symphony and Beethoven's 3rd Piano Concerto are the closest I have heard from any broadcast to actually "being there".
Simply wonderful, if you can cope with people coughing around you a bit too often and too loud too at times of course.
And the actual very realistic 3D depth, width and height, soundstage opening up of the normally rather flat and dry soundstage is intoxicating via my HE 100V2 and Benchmark DAC 2 and slightly less intoxicating, but still very good via HUGO 1 too.
I know that a lot o things I say or recommend here seem to fall on "deaf ears".
But in the case of "The Proms in binaural sound"
the old teacher in me,simply has to dig in his feet and firmly say to his reluctant students.
This is compulsory homework!
You simply have to hear this if you have any real interest at all in SQ and how close to real live, high information content, acoustic music can sound via a good dac and good headphones.
This is not like playing your scales on the Piano ,this is pure joy, I promise.
For "students" with either Mojo,HUGO or HUGO 2 or DAVE I have to add equally firmly as the other part of the homework,DO NOT FORGET to turn OFF the crossfeed completely!!!!!
Next live BBC Proms broadcast in binaural is Beethoven's 9th at 20.000 hours tomorrow night according to the binaural homesite.
I for one know what I'll be doing tomorrow night again.
Of course nothing beats actually being there. But BBC RADIO 3 saves me at least 200 Pounds a day ,and still allows me to enjoy the great music and performances of the Greatest Music Festival in the entire World.
Cheers Christer the boring educator.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2017 at 6:36 AM Post #6,462 of 22,500
More on topic, might anyone know about Kensington lock support for Chord products? I looked at the manuals for Dave, Mojo, and Hugo2, and couldn't see any slots on those products. But with Chord doing custom casework in their own factory, maybe it's a possibility? Like many of you folks have done, it would be wonderful if I could bring one of these devices to work with me. I would have to use a Kensington lock however or it would not be in my office for long...
I think that you are the first person to request the addition of a slot for a Kensingon lock, be added to any of the Chord dac cases.
It would be easy to machine a simple slot in any of the cases, but I do wonder if the slot could also be an entry point for RFI pollution from any office full of laptops/phones/wifi networks etc.

If you are so convinced that one of your colleagues would steal your Hugo 2, then that says a lot about your colleagues. I would not risk any of my own possessions in such an office.

Jul 29, 2017 at 6:44 AM Post #6,463 of 22,500
I noticed that too and actually became a bit suspicious just seeing the name "trusted reviews."
And then my virus protection raised the red flag and blocked it so I actually never got to read anything from it.
The only thing I trust are my own ears with regard to HIFI and SQ.
But I have to add that the BBC are actually doing quite a good job with the Proms relays this year in better sQ than ever before and also several in binaural form specifically mastered to be lisgt3ened to via headphones

Hello Jawed, Yes of course the stereo mic'ing is multi-mic'd but this year it sounds better than ever to me. But the REAL SURPRISE is that there are about ten broadcasts from the Proms online done binaurally, and the ones I have heard so far, Berlioz's Symphonie Fantastique, Sibelius's 2nd symphony and Beethoven's 3rd Piano Concerto are the closest I have heard from any broadcast to actually "being there".
Simply wonderful, if you can cope with people coughing around you a bit too often and too loud too at times of course.
And the actual very realistic 3D depth, width and height, soundstage opening up of the normallly rather flat and dry soundstage is intoxicating via my HE 100V2 and Benchmark DAC 2 and slightly less intoxicating, but still very good via HUGO 1 too.
the old teacher in me,simply has to dig in his feet and firmly say to his reluctant students.
You simply have to hear this if you have any interest at all in SQ and how close to real live, high information content, acoustic music can sound via a good dac and good headphones.
For "students" with either Mojo,HUGO or HUGO 2 or DAVE I have to add equally firmly as the other part of the homework,DO NOT FORGET to turn OFF the crossfeed completely!!!!!
Next live BBC Proms broadcast in binaural is Beethoven's 9th at 20.000 hours tomorrow night according to the binaural homesite.
Of course nothing beats actually being there. But BBC RADIO 3 saves me at least 200 Pounds a day ,and still allows me to enjoy the great music and performances of the Greatest Music Festival in the entire World.

Stunning... thank you. I was able to stream a select few pieces and they are indeed incredible.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0594zng

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2017 at 7:00 AM Post #6,464 of 22,500
Yes of course the stereo mic'ing is multi-mic'd but this year it sounds better than ever to me. But the REAL SURPRISE is that there are about ten broadcasts from the Proms online done binaurally, and the ones I have heard so far, Berlioz's Symphonie Fantastique, Sibelius's 2nd symphony and Beethoven's 3rd Piano Concerto are the closest I have heard from any broadcast to actually "being there".
And the actual very realistic 3D depth, width and height, soundstage opening up of the normallly rather flat and dry soundstage is intoxicating via my HE 100V2 and Benchmark DAC 2 and slightly less intoxicating, but still very good via HUGO 1 too.
You simply have to hear this if you have any interest at all in SQ and how close to real live, high information content, acoustic music can sound via a good dac and good headphones.
Don't lose heart Christer.
Thanks for pointing out to everyone that the Proms are available in good quality this year. This did come as a surprise to me, because I had become used to virtually all interesting BBC music/podcasts being blocked to listeners outside the UK, because of 'digital rights issues'.
You may not be getting any/many responses to your Proms posts, but that does not mean that no-one reads them, or listens to the music. Your enthusiasm for the Proms is evident, and possibly your 'role' this season is to 'champion' these Proms broadcasts (especially the binaural broadcasts), and hopefully others may start to respond and post with their views.

Jul 29, 2017 at 7:33 AM Post #6,465 of 22,500
don't have Hugo 2 yet but I tried mojo after a gap of few months. initially I tried a cheap data cable between my Lenovo P2 and mojo and then I thought to replace the cheap data cable with oyaide pcocc A class 1m usb cable with suitable adapted at both ends. both cables had plenty of ferrite clipped in but still oyiade cable instantly lit the soundstage with lot more depth and clarity. it was definitely not a minor difference . so a good high quality copper cable does make a difference. the effect may be more evident with highly resolving DACs. Hugo 2 may be benefited too with good pcocc USB cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back