Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Jul 29, 2017 at 8:27 AM Post #6,466 of 22,521
Thanks for the musical pointers, now Asura and Com Truise are on my musical wish list.

For purely personal reasons I am hoping my first hi-res purchase to be Vangelis' music played during the main titles of Blade Runner (I'm a movie music fan). Is that available anywhere (in hi-res/dsd or even dxd)? (I have the iTunes mp3 already).

More on topic, might anyone know about Kensington lock support for Chord products? I looked at the manuals for Dave, Mojo, and Hugo2, and couldn't see any slots on those products. But with Chord doing custom casework in their own factory, maybe it's a possibility? Like many of you folks have done, it would be wonderful if I could bring one of these devices to work with me. I would have to use a Kensington lock however or it would not be in my office for long...
I've seen it in DSD, but haven't downloaded it for copyright reasons.

Jul 29, 2017 at 9:29 AM Post #6,467 of 22,521
Even without identifying the DAC or the company:

a DAC is tested a few times and is nothing more than "ordinary" for the review. Said DAC is plugged in for one month, unused, and is now the greatest DAC on the market, doesn't make the author seem credible and doesn't appear to do a service to the website he writes for.

Imagine measurements before and after. Even if there were some mechanisms of change, consider the drastic change as described.

Its like a "miracle" (a suspension of the laws of nature) as written. It did not make me curious to try the DAC but curious to read more from the author.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2017 at 11:11 AM Post #6,470 of 22,521
Anyone heard the CHORD HUGO2 yet driven direct without amp via HEKV2 and compared to the Benchmark DAC2???

No, I am afraid I haven't . But I hope without having heard HUGO 2 yet ,that it would be even more interesting to compare HUGO 2 against Benchmark DAC 3 than DAC2.
I am saying this as the owner of both HUGO 1and the Benchmark DAC 2 and HD 800 and HE1000V2.
I suspect that with proper RF and EMI galvanic isolation HUGO 1 might beat DAC2 in a good system.
I would even go as far as saying that if HUGO 2 does not even beat DAC 2 in absolute SQ terms there is no reason whatsoever for me personally to ever get a HUGO 2.
But if anyone here has compared the two side by side I would also like to know the outcome of such a comparison.
Personally I swap between H1 and DAC 2 with headphones on an almost daily basis now that the Proms are on. But because of the connection limitations and other problems like completely unpredictable SQ of HUGO in my main system, HUGO 1 is used there very rarely.
After listening to Beethoven's 3rd Piano Concerto from the binaural BBC Radio 3 Broadcast this morning after my Yoga session, via HE1000V2 I was so happy with the experience of hearing a truly superb concert in such wonderful 3D SQ that I felt no immediate need to upgrade my DAC at all.
But later today the thought struck me.What if it is possible to upgrade my DAC2 to DAC3 standard?
That would hopefully be cheaper than buying a HUGO 2.
With more than 6 weeks of having my HUGO up for sale, and no bites, I think I am stuck with it unless I am willing to sell it somewhere near half of the original price.
I am currently not willing to do so. Come autumn, and I will bring both of my dacs and headphones with me to Asia this winter where HUGO will work just fine if it gets too hot for my DAC2 or there is no electricity at all in some simple jungle hut where I am bound to end up at least a couple of weeks this winter again.
But Benchmark DAC 2 drives both of my headphones with greater authority and weight and ultimate realism than HUGO 1 does.
And if HUGO 2 proves to be even better than DAC2 with my HE 1000V2, I might buy one in Asia this winter.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2017 at 11:45 AM Post #6,471 of 22,521
Lots of hope and suspicion and speculation.
Authority and weight are not what is lacking in ch1 compared to ch2

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2017 at 11:53 AM Post #6,472 of 22,521
don't have Hugo 2 yet but I tried mojo after a gap of few months. initially I tried a cheap data cable between my Lenovo P2 and mojo and then I thought to replace the cheap data cable with oyaide pcocc A class 1m usb cable with suitable adapted at both ends. both cables had plenty of ferrite clipped in but still oyiade cable instantly lit the soundstage with lot more depth and clarity. it was definitely not a minor difference . so a good high quality copper cable does make a difference. the effect may be more evident with highly resolving DACs. Hugo 2 may be benefited too with good pcocc USB cables.

To contrast this comment, I paid out for a solid silver 10cm USB cable from Penon Audio and fitted ferrite ring around and compared to cheap standard 10cm USB I didn't hear any improvement other than reduced interference from a mobile source if the 3G/4G was left on. Lovely cable visually & build quality though and still use it. Will do test again with Hugo 2 on Monday as I'm due to receive the UK Tour unit then.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2017 at 12:06 PM Post #6,473 of 22,521
Ferrite cores nice pixie dust tho

Jul 29, 2017 at 12:17 PM Post #6,474 of 22,521
Ferrite cores nice pixie dust tho

LOL But to be fair, the ferrite ring did seem to help reduce mobile interference especially with 3G, still some evident with a 4G signal if using a mobile close-coupled to the Mojo.

Jul 29, 2017 at 1:29 PM Post #6,475 of 22,521
ferrite core are available very cheaply in various Dia. I have been using these in digital and power cables. each addition of ferrite core clearly seemed to reduce the noise and made perceptible change to the background towards blacker. though the effect reduced with subsequent addition. initial impression is like reduction in dynamics but in actual there is increase in dynamics because to attain the same noise level as earlier now you will need to raise the volume a bit means more music.

Jul 29, 2017 at 3:24 PM Post #6,476 of 22,521
I've taken today off for the most part and am enjoying my time with H2. Interestingly enough...

I listened to a classical piece that I thoroughly enjoyed. My wife and I have fun not telling the other what we are listening to. It's a beautiful piece I've not heard before.

Much to my surprise: "You like it? It's called "Movement One" from the album, Ocean's Kingdom."

I still did not recognize the title. :smile_phones:

A touch OT:
If the blue tooth capacity of Poly matches H2, my wife is going to be very happy with Poly, even though her main interest is SD card.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2017 at 4:54 PM Post #6,477 of 22,521
Jul 29, 2017 at 6:10 PM Post #6,479 of 22,521

Users who are viewing this thread

Back