Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Jul 30, 2017 at 7:47 AM Post #6,496 of 22,475
I remember Rob stating that a cheap TOSLINK cable is as good as anything with the CH2 and that it is no different than USB.

I have similar experience with the Hugo. Initially I tried the USB connection -> audioquest Carbon + iFi Defender (it was an improvement over the stock USB cable dough - less bright and more body to the sound) then, just out of curiosity I plugged in the stock Toslink cable (cost 3-5$ ?) and the sound quality was practically identical, possibly (as the difference was very subtle if any) , the optical connection was even a tad more fluid/more cohesive and less edgy, plus, there is no galvanic isolation issue anymore (if that bothers anyone).

Finally I sold the USB set and happily listen via the optical (TOSLINK) since.

Jul 30, 2017 at 9:07 AM Post #6,497 of 22,475
I have similar experience with the Hugo. Initially I tried the USB connection -> audioquest Carbon + iFi Defender (it was an improvement over the stock USB cable dough - less bright and more body to the sound) then, just out of curiosity I plugged in the stock Toslink cable (cost 3-5$ ?) and the sound quality was practically identical, possibly (as the difference was very subtle if any) , the optical connection was even a tad more fluid/more cohesive and less edgy, plus, there is no galvanic isolation issue anymore (if that bothers anyone).

Finally I sold the USB set and happily listen via the optical (TOSLINK) since.
On the go or just at home on a table ?

Jul 30, 2017 at 9:15 AM Post #6,498 of 22,475
CH2 is able to drive both the lcd4rev1 and hd800sdr at the same time. (800sdr cable is terminated in 3.5mm)

Idk if its actually safe for the battery to do that

20170730_125720.jpg

Jul 30, 2017 at 9:16 AM Post #6,499 of 22,475
if usb is identical to optical on Hugo 2 then by logical deduction galvanic isolation is a none issue with H2. maybe the extra rf filtering on usb, zero noise floor modulation etc all contribute here. for me it's excellent as i don't have to worry about usb tweaks or usb to coax convertors with H2. a complete system in a compact and beautifully designed black aluminium box.

i've experimented with many genres of music and at the moment H2 really shines with complex jazz ensembles like those from Anthony Wilson. At the moment i'm listening to Helle's Belles from the Anthony Wilson album Goat Hill Junket. After the noise and bustle of saturday night clubbing i can't think of a better way to wind down a sunny sunday afternoon.:saxophone::saxophone::saxophone:

Jul 30, 2017 at 9:25 AM Post #6,500 of 22,475
On the go or just at home on a table ?

I use Hugo 2 purely as standalone DAC (in desktop mode) to feed my speaker system (iMac -> Toslink Cable from QED -> Hugo 2 -> Chord Clearway RCA -> MF Nuvista -> Chord Twin Epic -> AE ref 2)

Jul 30, 2017 at 9:34 AM Post #6,501 of 22,475
CH2 is able to drive both the lcd4rev1 and hd800sdr at the same time. (800sdr cable is terminated in 3.5mm)

Idk if its actually safe for the battery to do that

Which tracks did you play?

Jul 30, 2017 at 9:36 AM Post #6,502 of 22,475
Dear Rob,

I finally got my Hugo2. It is much better than Hugo in almost all the way, although not as natural / musical / full-bodied as Dave.

Also, it can drive my B&W 805 Diamond quite easily and remote works perfectly.
I think Hugo2 is a great one box solution for anyone having efficient speakers.

I have one question.

What color would be the maximum volume without clipping?
(How many steps should I decrease the volume not to get clipping? Color is a bit difficult to be precise.)

Thank you.

Jul 30, 2017 at 10:01 AM Post #6,503 of 22,475
Dear Rob,

I finally got my Hugo2. It is much better than Hugo in almost all the way, although not as natural / musical / full-bodied as Dave.

I have one question.

(How many steps should I decrease the volume not to get clipping? Color is a bit difficult to be precise.)

Thank you.
Funny I found ch1 and ch2 were fairly close, yes ch2 was my preference but it was subtle to me and took manyA/B to figure out what i was hearing, which i liked better and why. I am happy with ch1 but will go out and listen to the loner ch2 in the sun for the day.

second no one but you can decide how loud you want your tunes via ch2 into whatever your listening to sourced from what ever your source. Never mind clipping, that will be obvious when you do clip.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2017 at 10:24 AM Post #6,504 of 22,475
I have one question.

Thank you.
If you are asking in terms of using the output from your Hugo 2, as the input to an amplifier, which then drives some speakers - the answer will depend on your system.
If your amplifier has a max input voltage of say 2V, you will hear clipping at a lower volume, than if your amplifier has a max input voltage of say 4V.

Jul 30, 2017 at 10:38 AM Post #6,506 of 22,475
Dear Rob,

I have one question.

Thank you.

Are you saying that H2 can drive the B&W 805 Diamond without additional amp to satisfying volume levels?

If so that would be really nice!

Cheers

Jul 30, 2017 at 10:46 AM Post #6,507 of 22,475
We tested a lot, from high DR rebecca pidgeon, jazz at the pawnshop to stuffs like salena jones n type sort. It still has a lot of headroom at a relatively louder than moderate volume (purple)
soft, vocals, jazzy I believe will sound very good even on the Hugo 1 with most headphones.

Jul 30, 2017 at 11:01 AM Post #6,508 of 22,475
Wow, it seems that I have a lot of reply.

Yes, Hugo2 (and Hugo1 also) can drive my B&W 805 Diamond directly, without adding an external amp.
Please try direct drive yourself if you have efficient speakers with more than 8 ohm.
It is quite amazing that a tiny device like Hugo1 / 2 can actually drive speakers loud, with surprising quality of sound.

And... yes, actually, I don't hear Hugo2 clipping even at white color volume but I just would like to know where the logical clipping point is as I don't want to risk my speakers.

Jul 30, 2017 at 11:39 AM Post #6,509 of 22,475
Well this is encouraging :)
I remember other members talking about driving speakers with comparable sensitivity (88db), directly from H1...

May I asked what kind of music you are listening with this setup?
Rather just Classical or can H2 make your BWs rock out?

Concerning potential risk I can't really be of help, but I quess as long as there is no clipping at all, one click up won't blow the drivers :)
I am thinking about using a single fullrange driver and in the specs the sensitivity is often rated at xxxdb at 2.83V ... So I am not sure if H2 might be too hot, resulting in clipping?

Anyways I will try this with the 92db Tang Bang W5 2143 I have flying around, first... DIY TIME :D

EDIT : I guess more than 2.83V won't hurt the drivers, the way I understand is that for an 8 Ohm driver 2.83V equal 1Watt, so I wonder if H2 can bring more to the table than the nominal 1 Watt. Can anyone help clear this up for me?

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2017 at 11:43 AM Post #6,510 of 22,475
Wow, it seems that I have a lot of reply.

Yes, Hugo2 (and Hugo1 also) can drive my B&W 805 Diamond directly, without adding an external amp.
Please try direct drive yourself if you have efficient speakers with more than 8 ohm.
It is quite amazing that a tiny device like Hugo1 / 2 can actually drive speakers loud, with surprising quality of sound.

And... yes, actually, I don't hear Hugo2 clipping even at white color volume but I just would like to know where the logical clipping point is as I don't want to risk my speakers.

I have been considering trying direct drive with a pair of these http://www.hifi-classic.net/review/wharfedale-diamond-1-394.html, but I do wonder if they are efficient enough.
This all assumes that the speakers still work ok, and the crossover components have not deteriorated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back