Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Jul 28, 2017 at 2:22 PM Post #6,436 of 22,475
It is all subjective I suppose but I sold my Yiggy for a Dave and to my ears there is no comparison,not even close......Yiggy is a good product for the money and if i had never heard the Dave I would probably been happy with it just as i would be happy driver a Honda as long as i never drove a mercedes

You might wanna add Mercedes gasoline model... since there is no pride in driving a German Diesel Car these days...

Anyway could you give a comparison of Yggy and H2?

Jul 28, 2017 at 3:20 PM Post #6,437 of 22,475
It is all subjective I suppose but I sold my Yiggy for a Dave and to my ears there is no comparison,not even close......Yiggy is a good product for the money and if i had never heard the Dave I would probably been happy with it just as i would be happy driver a Honda as long as i never drove a mercedes
Idk, the dave is just more analytical n flat ish with less body to me, very apparent especially daves less intimate n sweet on the vocals vs the yiggy. Dave still is a great dac nonetheless i just feel more engaged with the yiggy. Luckily i had the luxury to swap around gears with my neighbor

Jul 28, 2017 at 3:37 PM Post #6,438 of 22,475
Yiggy is a good product for the money and if i had never heard the Dave I would probably been happy with it just as i would be happy driver a Honda as long as i never drove a mercedes

I work at a factory building Mercedes Benzes and I'm happy driving my Toyota Starlet, and listening music through Mojo.

Jul 28, 2017 at 3:38 PM Post #6,439 of 22,475
You might wanna add Mercedes gasoline model... since there is no pride in driving a German Diesel Car these days...

Anyway could you give a comparison of Yggy and H2?

I no longer have the Yiggy so the best i can do is this:I liked my Hugo better than the Yiggy and i like my Hugo 2 better than my hugo

Jul 28, 2017 at 4:07 PM Post #6,440 of 22,475
She's pretty pleased with the hugo2 at least 20170729_012849.jpg

Jul 28, 2017 at 4:14 PM Post #6,441 of 22,475
enjoying flamingo sketches by miles davis on a rainy friday lunchtime. so cloudy and dark outside yet the trumpet and piano strokes with double bass and cymbals seem to be resonating from outside my headphones with xfeed on max. these are the moments that make it all worthwhile. ahhh.....:saxophone::saxophone::saxophone:. my favourite things by john coltrane up next. that's my work done for today. yep.
You're right - there is a marked difference between zero xfeed and max xfeed. With zero xfeed the music seems spatially located outside each ear, but with max xfeed the spatial positions seem to move outside of the skull, on lines passing from the brain and through each eyebrow (approximately).

Jul 28, 2017 at 5:17 PM Post #6,445 of 22,475
Interesting, there has been a lot of discussion around the Shiit Yggdrasil both here and elsewhere.
Bull goes with marketing Schitt. Cynical you doesn't believe otherwise I would have thought.

Some like it very much as in the really surprisingly raving review from "The Absolute Sound" you quote.
The guy has clearly been living under a rock.

It seems nobody here is terribly interested in my suggested comparison track Mozart live at the Proms from Prom 3 this year. [...]
I was hoping more people here than me were regular Prommers, but obviously not?
I was a frequent prommer back in the 80s. Was at the last night one year... Been tempted to return this year.

The Royal Albert Hall acoustic is huge but sounds a bit smaller via HUGO than DAC 2.
Trust me, I have been there right on that floor more times than I can count.
The Beeb has always liberally multi-mic'd the Proms in my experience. The broadcast sound doesn't catch anything like the acoustic one gets from the arena. It's very dry. Listening to tonight's prom:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08ys057

live, from the uncompressed feed:

https://radio-3-concert-sound.pilots.bbcconnectedstudio.co.uk/

which apparently works world-wide, what I heard is a very dry, but not close, acoustic. You really don't hear the hall sound except on very large transients followed by quiet.

Now playing: 1-uik project - sal e cinzas

Jul 28, 2017 at 6:28 PM Post #6,448 of 22,475
@guerph, what you need is a summer storm to freshen things up.

I find this track brutal for DACs as the the rain can sound more like sizzling bacon and the rushing water can sound more like white noise ('more' being the operative word, not 'same as'). The Hugo2 handled it very well. There is an ebb and flow to the rushing water that can be picked up clearly through the Hugo2 and less easily through something like the X5III.

I also particularly like the low end rumble at the beginning (not heard through devices like an iPad's speakers) and the very subtle sounds in the rumble at the beginning were played clearly on the Hugo 2 with the Utopia.

P.S. I worked on the effects for the SG-1 episode in your avatar, lol.

Jul 28, 2017 at 8:58 PM Post #6,450 of 22,475
Relic, a special thank you for introducing this to me. Much appreciated.

No problem. I like this album as it's quite different from my usual fare of classical, jazz, rock and acoustic. I was looking for some Vangelis when I came across this album and have since purchased other albums by Asura as well.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back