Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Jul 28, 2017 at 10:35 AM Post #6,421 of 22,475
8CD018D3-910B-4E55-851F-4E315C094062.jpg
I agree. Enjoying a short listen, sitting by the pool in beautiful Turks and Caicos.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2017 at 10:59 AM Post #6,422 of 22,475
i'm envious Caicos.....:triportsad:

don't go too close to the pool.

Jul 28, 2017 at 11:27 AM Post #6,423 of 22,475
Rob has said H2 needs no burn in. if you can't trust the designer who can you trust. in the same way from what i recall schitt audio dac designers do recommend a burn in period as do designers of the metrum dacs who also state their dacs needs around 120 hours or so to sound their best. different dac topologies vary. again go with the designer not hearsay.
From the 1st moment I heard it, I knew I had something special; no burn-in necessary.

Jul 28, 2017 at 12:38 PM Post #6,427 of 22,475
Christer and Hooster, thank you for your replies.

Obviously, from my language my skepticism is there. I edited out the company and product, though it was probably not necessary.

I grasp that with digital to audio conversion, we need time to process the increased data. But there were two things here that caused me to pause. The first, as someone already identified, is that the reviewer did not listen to it repeatedly and obtain more data. He gave it a few listens but then did not listen for one month. He marked the change from his last listens, to this new listen, and he used extreme language.

The second thing that puzzles me is the context; this is a professional reviewer; not a fan writing on a forum or blog.

Given his premise, (I do not write this tongue in cheek) and as others identified, the company already does the "burn in" stage.

I find it very difficult to believe that leaving it run for one month would turn ordinary DAC into 'world's greatest' almost DAC. If this shocking and extreme change was evident, I would have immediately walked away and left it for another month.

I've read Rob's perspective on this, as an engineer. I agree with Hooster's call for "show me the data."

I am scratching my head to understand this. I do think the company makes quality products at a reasonable price; it is not the company nor even the DAC that puzzles me.

It is the stupendous claim and where it was made (by a professional) that causes me to consider it.

I appreciate the feedback from CH2 fans because we share a common reference point and we're in subjective terrority with the hope for objectivity. Christer, you probably sense that I do question what is behind the rave, but I did not go to motive.

Thanks, gentlemen.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2017 at 1:04 PM Post #6,430 of 22,475
enjoying flamingo sketches by miles davis on a rainy friday lunchtime. so cloudy and dark outside yet the trumpet and piano strokes with double bass and cymbals seem to be resonating from outside my headphones with xfeed on max. these are the moments that make it all worthwhile. ahhh.....:saxophone::saxophone::saxophone:. my favourite things by john coltrane up next. that's my work done for today. yep.
I searched for flamingo sketches, but no luck. I presume that you meant flamenco sketches, and autocorrect spellchecker did the rest. :)

Jul 28, 2017 at 1:16 PM Post #6,431 of 22,475
yes no pink birds lol. it's on kind of blue album tidal. track 5.

Jul 28, 2017 at 1:41 PM Post #6,432 of 22,475
Just got word that we have a Hugo 2 in silver shipping to us. Should be a safe bet to be here by Tuesday for anyone interested... Since these are being dispensed in limited spurts in America I want to keep people updated when we are closer to the actual receiving window.... First come first serve gang, PM me if interested and ill fast track ya.

Edit: oh i forgot to mention- "Flamingo" guitar made me LOL :) gotta love autocorrect

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 28, 2017 at 2:08 PM Post #6,433 of 22,475
all my Chord Dac's have sounded great from day one.....my Yiggy however sounded awful and needed tons of break in

I had very positive experiences with two of their DACs. Well made and great sound; solid customer service, too.
When I got Mojo, the difference was such that I ended up with Mojo as my own DAC; desktop and mobile. For my subjective ears, it was superior and convenient.

The difference, again subjectively, between Mojo and H2 is significant.

Jul 28, 2017 at 2:12 PM Post #6,434 of 22,475
Yggy is a different story for me, i think its even better than dave. It just sounded fuller, more dynamic n fun to listen to

It is all subjective I suppose but I sold my Yiggy for a Dave and to my ears there is no comparison,not even close......Yiggy is a good product for the money and if i had never heard the Dave I would probably been happy with it just as i would be happy driver a Honda as long as i never drove a mercedes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back