Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Jun 9, 2018 at 8:40 PM Post #13,141 of 22,519
The mscaler will connect in the same way blu2 connects to h2 by adaptors and bnc cables. It cannot be portable due to power draw. There are pictures here on headfi of the blu2 connecting to h2. The m-scaler will not have analogue headphone out as stated it is only in the digital domain. Headphone out will be in its normal place. The 2go will send its processed data 'into' the h2 where it must be processed by the mscaler. M scaler replaces wta1 by substituting in its place 1 million plus taps to put it very simply.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2018 at 10:11 PM Post #13,142 of 22,519
The FPGA in the Blu mkII mScaler draws 10amps current so I imagine we are some way from a portable mScaler unless FPGA tech advances somewhat. A stand-alone desktop mScaler could be a possibility though I guess.

Yup, power hungry, so 1M taps in a portable solution is probably a way off. This would mean stand-alone desktop is more than just a possibility but highly likely (certainty?). Unless there's a 3rd option that I can't think of? :)

10A at 1volt or something like that for the chip. So miniscule power requirements. People always forget about the volts when quoting that 10A.

Yup, so 10W consumption for the FPGA alone. At 3.7Vdc in a portable solution, that's still high current for a portable (for the FPGA alone). Portable solutions tend to be small-ish, so small-ish battery capacity too. I think it's safe to rule out 1M taps in a portable for now and we know Rob isn't interested in less than 1M taps.

Just guesses on my part too though

Jun 10, 2018 at 4:25 AM Post #13,143 of 22,519
Has anyone here listened to Blu via dave ? if so, how much of a difference is there between that setup and a setup that includes just a dave.

Basically, is the difference between them like night and day, or is the difference more subtle ?

Jun 10, 2018 at 4:50 AM Post #13,144 of 22,519
Jun 10, 2018 at 11:15 AM Post #13,146 of 22,519
Last edited:
Jun 10, 2018 at 12:10 PM Post #13,147 of 22,519
hugo 2 directly playing into benchmark ahb2 in low gain mode. speakers are kef r300 aided by monitor audio rsw12 sub. hugo 2 has amazing dynamics and clarity. it really makes everything alive. my room need some sound absorbing material which i will do in next few days. video and audio recorded with separate devices. cabling is all furutech custom one.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2018 at 12:57 PM Post #13,148 of 22,519
hugo 2 directly playing into benchmark ahb2 in low gain mode. speakers are kef r300 aided by monitor audio rsw12 sub. hugo 2 has amazing dynamics and clarity. it really makes everything alive. my room need some sound absorbing material which i will do in next few days. video and audio recorded with separate devices. cabling is all furutech custom one.

I have soldered some RCA plugs for my H2 today. What was the sensitivity of those speakers?

Jun 10, 2018 at 1:45 PM Post #13,149 of 22,519

Awesome! What is the name of the song playing?

Jun 10, 2018 at 2:27 PM Post #13,150 of 22,519
@Rob Watts
Can yoy explain why your dacs work perfectly with out sound drops when connected with optical to my lg b6 oled tv while conventinal dac chip sets have sound drops with my tv when using an external hdmi source like a set top box or apple tv 4k?

The conventinal chips have worked flawless only on the built in internal apps on the tv though.

I have tried both hugo and mojo on my tv all flawless. And one exception that worked flawless was also fiio d03k basic dac designed for just taking out sound from the tv
https://www.amazon.com/D03K-Digital-Analog-Audio-Converter/dp/B009346RSS

Ifi idsd bl (dual core burr brown), project pre box s2 digital (ess sabre pro es9038) and sennheiser hdv 820 (ess sabre32 reference es 9018) all of them had sound drops on external hdmi sources. So i sent them back to store. No keepers. Deal braker for me as i for convinience listen to music from my tv and always use hp with my tv. Makes the dac selection narrow and i know i can rely on chord dacs.

Soon i will audition hugo 2 and i hope you havent changed how they operate in this manner and hope chord dacs continue to work with everything.

Jun 10, 2018 at 4:12 PM Post #13,152 of 22,519
Hugo2 plus diamonds.jpg
[Edited]

Hugo2 plus DIY soldered cables powering a pair of Wharfdale Diamond 1 speakers.
My initial test was with the volume left at my normal headphone setting, so not surprisingly the speakers sounded too quiet to be a worthwhle solution.
With the volume set far higher that normal, the sound now reaches quite acceptable levels, when sitting at my computer.
If the Hugo2 can power these Diamonds, just think what the TT2 could do :relaxed:

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2018 at 7:06 PM Post #13,153 of 22,519
For Phuca

I spent around 3 hours listening to dave fed by a macair with my oppo pm1 headphone. Listening to dire straits/carly simon/ahmad jamal jazz piano and so on i recall a vast soundstage akin to jumping in to the deep end of a pool in conjunction with a natural organic warmth that made saxophone and vocals sound exactly as they were intended to. I only had 2 tracks with the same set up as above using blu2/dave those being daft punk around the world and some tangerine dream atlas eyes i think. When listening to atlas eyes i was taken by surprise and had to momentarily remove the headphones to do a reality check. The track was presented in a manner totally alien to me. It became so real it was alive and breathed. It was the music and nothing else as if the artist was talking to you in the same room. This must be a top secret government project i thought. This is so friggin unreal and good it must be forbidden or illegal somewhere. A 20K headphone set up arguably the best in the world. All hints of digital glare and artificiality were removed. With daft punk the music was direct, super-ultra-clear and the timing was fast, very fast but solid. 1 million taps is the next big thing in music reproduction IMHO. It is so real that it is actually not so much the concept but the presentation of the music as compared to a live performance/interaction with the artist. In no way can this be described as subtle. If the difference is subtle then the moon has no effect on tides.

Listening to Faithless Insomnia with dave/blu2 with chord amps and 80K speakers made by an American company whose brand i forget further magnified the effect experienced through headphones and takes you into a higher level 'zone'. This was no longer music but a hidden tunnel that i had just discovered and it was taking me into an auditory dimension that until that point had remained hidden to me. Blu2 provided access into that otherwise hidden tunnel. Listening to Faithless Insomnia through that speaker system with blu2 caused me to reconsider alot of what i thought i knew and made me realise i know very little in the same way that Ray describes his revelatory experience after throwing blu2 into the mix with his Voxativ transducers.

Courtesy of Steve at Sonority Design W.Midlands for a great afternoon.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2018 at 1:11 AM Post #13,154 of 22,519
@Rob Watts
Can yoy explain why your dacs work perfectly with out sound drops when connected with optical to my lg b6 oled tv while conventinal dac chip sets have sound drops with my tv when using an external hdmi source like a set top box or apple tv 4k?

The conventinal chips have worked flawless only on the built in internal apps on the tv though.

I have tried both hugo and mojo on my tv all flawless. And one exception that worked flawless was also fiio d03k basic dac designed for just taking out sound from the tv
https://www.amazon.com/D03K-Digital-Analog-Audio-Converter/dp/B009346RSS

Ifi idsd bl (dual core burr brown), project pre box s2 digital (ess sabre pro es9038) and sennheiser hdv 820 (ess sabre32 reference es 9018) all of them had sound drops on external hdmi sources. So i sent them back to store. No keepers. Deal braker for me as i for convinience listen to music from my tv and always use hp with my tv. Makes the dac selection narrow and i know i can rely on chord dacs.

Soon i will audition hugo 2 and i hope you havent changed how they operate in this manner and hope chord dacs continue to work with everything.
This is unusual, as normally I have to attempt to explain why my DAC will have a particular issue, but other DACs do not!
So the reason why the spdif receiver is better than conventional ones is twofold; firstly it is all digital extraction, and actually will decode correctly the spdif bitstream with jitter at the theoretical maximum of +/- 25% bit interval; normal receivers with PLL would fail. Also optical has a specific problem of rise time being different to fall time, and my receiver automatically adjusts for this, as it measures the rise and fall times.
This module took many years to perfect, so it's not something that I will change; once a verilog module is tested and verified, it can be placed in my IP library and used unchanged for other designs, irrespective of FPGA family, or if it is being used in a custom chip design. So don't worry, all new designs will incorporate this....

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2018 at 7:40 AM Post #13,155 of 22,519

Sorry if I am a bit less enthusiastic than some others here over your video.
In purely theoretical terms I am sure your system sounds good. I use a similar setup with my Qutest but in a MUCH bigger system.And yes Qutest sounds good but not quite SOTA. Both HUGO 2 and obviously Benchmark's amp are very good. The Benchmark is probably one of the best amps around as far as low distortion and low noise goes,with an SNR few competitors even approach.The Benchmark has a lower noise floor by quite a margin than your H2 or my Qutest have .
With that combo,as far as noise floor is concerned our DACs are the limiting factor ,not the Amp.
I'd love to hear it in my system. But none of what the two can really reproduce is delivered in any other way than very downsampled "read distorted form" via Youtube and whatever you used to make the recording.

Your videographic "skills", to be brutally honest, really suck!!!
I could stand 50 seconds of your erratic waving a terribly low res handphone around in front of your system,no more.
I just had to turn it off ! It was really painful to watch.
Sorry to be such a killjoy,but low res handphones have no place in either visual or sonic terms in my world. They are an example of how low both image quality most people accept these days and equally much how bad they sound to me.
Cheers Christer the killjoy.
PS And why on earth did you post it on the DAVE thread as well?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back