Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Jun 11, 2018 at 7:56 AM Post #13,156 of 22,516
For Phuca

I spent around 3 hours listening to dave fed by a macair with my oppo pm1 headphone. Listening to dire straits/carly simon/ahmad jamal jazz piano and so on i recall a vast soundstage akin to jumping in to the deep end of a pool in conjunction with a natural organic warmth that made saxophone and vocals sound exactly as they were intended to. I only had 2 tracks with the same set up as above using blu2/dave those being daft punk around the world and some tangerine dream atlas eyes i think. When listening to atlas eyes i was taken by surprise and had to momentarily remove the headphones to do a reality check. The track was presented in a manner totally alien to me. It became so real it was alive and breathed. It was the music and nothing else as if the artist was talking to you in the same room. This must be a top secret government project i thought. This is so friggin unreal and good it must be forbidden or illegal somewhere. A 20K headphone set up arguably the best in the world. All hints of digital glare and artificiality were removed. With daft punk the music was direct, super-ultra-clear and the timing was fast, very fast but solid. 1 million taps is the next big thing in music reproduction IMHO. It is so real that it is actually not so much the concept but the presentation of the music as compared to a live performance/interaction with the artist. In no way can this be described as subtle. If the difference is subtle then the moon has no effect on tides.

Listening to Faithless Insomnia with dave/blu2 with chord amps and 80K speakers made by an American company whose brand i forget further magnified the effect experienced through headphones and takes you into a higher level 'zone'. This was no longer music but a hidden tunnel that i had just discovered and it was taking me into an auditory dimension that until that point had remained hidden to me. Blu2 provided access into that otherwise hidden tunnel. Listening to Faithless Insomnia through that speaker system with blu2 caused me to reconsider alot of what i thought i knew and made me realise i know very little in the same way that Ray describes his revelatory experience after throwing blu2 into the mix with his Voxativ transducers.

Courtesy of Steve at Sonority Design W.Midlands for a great afternoon.

I am also waiting for that neat and very fairly priced,little M-scaler to materialize.
1M taps are difficult to forget once heard.

Could that actually be what Rob has got to introduce at Canjam in London?
Even if so. I strongly doubt we would see one for sale before 2019 anyway.
Either that or a new amp are my guesses since the ToGo or whatever it will be called is not Rob's project.
Tap your toes to that.
Cheers Christer

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2018 at 9:54 AM Post #13,157 of 22,516
Sorry if I am a bit less enthusiastic than some others here over your video... Your videographic "skills", to be brutally honest, really suck!!!... I could stand 50 seconds of your erratic waving a terribly low res handphone around in front of your system,no more... I just had to turn it off ! It was really painful to watch.
Cheers Christer the killjoy

personally speaking I didn't find a lot wrong with the video after I sync'ed, I have Parkinsonisms so after I synchronised my tremors it was just like watching in 4kHD so I feel blessed. It was great to see the KEF-R300's featured as they are on my 'maybe' list when I invest in a new hi-fi (along with Monitor Audio Gold's)... not too sure about the amp as I'll probably consult with John as I fancy a Hugo-TT set-up but hey I now know some other options are available thanks to rkt31's post.

>moral of the story< 'one man's disappointment is another man's joy'.

Jun 11, 2018 at 11:26 AM Post #13,158 of 22,516
As a video/audio recording hobbyist, I have a fair bit of pro-grade and pro-sumer grade gear to make product featurettes for my business clients, I have rode nt3 and nt5, at4053b and sennheiser 416 mics for recording instruments, RE320s and victor dynamics for recording voice, own the F8, sound devices 442, and the little portable H6. For video, I have the a7sii and atomos ninja for the video side of things. Software I use is FCPX and DaVinci Resolve. My corporate product featurettes are not professionally done, but covers the basic rules for video and audio recording and post production. Not saying I really know what I'm doing, but my point is that I know at least a little.

So, could this have been a done better?

Sure, but couldn't care less.

LOVED being able to see @rkt31 's setup, and seeing a dedicated speaker setup with the H2 in the chain and beautifully displayed is awesome.

The effort made into the sound quality for this room is clearly evident. The speakers are gorgeous, and the song chosen for this demo was great.

I look forward to seeing more pictures/video once the sound absorbing is installed.

Jun 11, 2018 at 12:29 PM Post #13,159 of 22,516
Sorry rkt31 but Christer was a wise man not watching the entire video as I still have pains in my eyes after watching it!

As long as I live, I will never forget your video, it seems like you nodded off half way through and woke up near the end?

Nice music pick though and I hope that you continue to enjoy your gear. :smile_phones:

Jun 11, 2018 at 2:04 PM Post #13,160 of 22,516
@Christer, you see video and audio recorded seperately at different time and combined later on. audio recorded through Olympus ls100 recorder at 24bit 96khz and resampled to 16bit 48khz using izotope 64bit src at highest possible filter length, then dithered to 16 bit using izotope mbit ultra dither, then converted to 320kbps aac. video shot through Lenovo P2 at standard setting and resoulution, bit rate reduced drastically, then combined audio and video using mkv merge and format factory to keep the size of video minimum without affecting audio because the audio mattered most . i would suggest you to listen to the recording through headphone. :)

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2018 at 3:40 PM Post #13,162 of 22,516
video was just to give an idea about the set up, I posted mainly for audio.
Maybe, audio without video next time, at higher bitrate? Only because I really don't care about video any more, and the sound is important. Not complaining; I liked the track, and we might get to hear your setup better.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 11, 2018 at 4:08 PM Post #13,163 of 22,516
@Christer, you see video and audio recorded seperately at different time and combined later on. audio recorded through Olympus ls100 recorder at 24bit 96khz and resampled to 16bit 48khz using izotope 64bit src at highest possible filter length, then dithered to 16 bit using izotope mbit ultra dither, then converted to 320kbps aac. video shot through Lenovo P2 at standard setting and resoulution, bit rate reduced drastically, then combined audio and video using mkv merge and format factory to keep the size of video minimum without affecting audio because the audio mattered most . i would suggest you to listen to the recording through headphone. :)

Hello rkt31, no personal offence intended. But since I already have the Qutest and have listened to the H2 via highend headphones many hours I am not sure what listening via headphones in this case would add to my listening experience?
I am happy to hear you like your H2. Good for you.
I quite like my Qutest too. But let's make things very clear it is NO DAVE nor DAVE/BLU2.

I would be very interested though, to really hear what the AHB2 might add in my own system in noise floor and dynamics. And when I say dynamics I am thinking of how much more of the extremely LOW LEVEL information that has a tendency to hide below a system's noise floor it might reveal over my current amplification which has a higher noise floor than both of our DACs unlike your Benchmark which is as far as I know a world leader in that respect.
My amplification is the limiting factor in dynamics compared to the Benchmark.
But there is NO WAY, absolutely NO WAY any such theoretical or audible advantage would be noticable even via headphones via your video since you have used a digital recorder not capable of resolving even at its native 24/96 setting the parts in your system, not to mention downsampled for your video.
And although very nice to listen to, the music you have chosen is virtually devoid of any real dynamic range anyway.
IMHO it is the kind of music often chosen at HIFI shows and demos by many brands simply because it sounds nice via basically any decent system.
I have to admit that even in your video,which by the way really sucks visually, it still sounds quite nice.
But what you and many others posting videos like this one obviously fail to realize is that all videos like this can REALLY do is be visual teasers anyway. And in that respect like I said above and in my first post, it really sucks.

It brings to mind the Swedish Company Electrolux's famous campaign for their vaccum cleaners in the USA. "Nothing sucks like Electrolux"
I can't even see that the black box on your table is a Benchmark amp.

My advice to you and other budding videographers is to use at least a decent camera for your videos.
And if you still insist on handholding it,PLEASE use some kind of stabilizer.
But the best way is to use a a good camera and a tripod EVERY time you make a video that you want to share with others on the web.
Cheers and enjoy both your H2 and your AHB2 Christer
I am personally a bit tempted to add both two AHB2s,one for each channel, and Benchmark's new preamp headphone amp to my system.
Until Rob launches his digital amps the Benchmarks are quite possibly just that, Benchmarks as far as low noise floor is concerned. The new headphone amp obviously has the lowest measured noise floor of any amp on the market?
I am quite keen to hear how it might improve, if at all, on my current Benchmark headphone amp that I use with my Qutest via headphones.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2018 at 4:23 PM Post #13,164 of 22,516
Sorry if I am a bit less enthusiastic than some others here over your video.
In purely theoretical terms I am sure your system sounds good. I use a similar setup with my Qutest but in a MUCH bigger system.And yes Qutest sounds good but not quite SOTA. Both HUGO 2 and obviously Benchmark's amp are very good. The Benchmark is probably one of the best amps around as far as low distortion and low noise goes,with an SNR few competitors even approach.The Benchmark has a lower noise floor by quite a margin than your H2 or my Qutest have .
With that combo,as far as noise floor is concerned our DACs are the limiting factor ,not the Amp.
I'd love to hear it in my system. But none of what the two can really reproduce is delivered in any other way than very downsampled "read distorted form" via Youtube and whatever you used to make the recording.

Your videographic "skills", to be brutally honest, really suck!!!
I could stand 50 seconds of your erratic waving a terribly low res handphone around in front of your system,no more.
I just had to turn it off ! It was really painful to watch.
Sorry to be such a killjoy,but low res handphones have no place in either visual or sonic terms in my world. They are an example of how low both image quality most people accept these days and equally much how bad they sound to me.
Cheers Christer the killjoy.
PS And why on earth did you post it on the DAVE thread as well?

He is maybe a fan of retro 1960s TV drama shows like Ironside etc, as thats the vibe I got from watching it.

Grainy video with 60s curtains and jazz music.

The only thing missing is the murder victim and chalk marks.

Regardless, he makes better videos than I do, as somehow every video I make with my iphone always ends up in portrait mode instead of landscape, even if I record it in landscape mode it still ends up as portrait mode on playback, What.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 11, 2018 at 6:02 PM Post #13,165 of 22,516
Hello rkt31, no personal offence intended. But since I already have the Qutest and have listened to the H2 via highend headphones many hours I am not sure what listening via headphones in this case would add to my listening experience?
I am happy to hear you like your H2. Good for you.
I quite like my Qutest too. But let's make things very clear it is NO DAVE nor DAVE/BLU2.

I would be very interested though, to really hear what the AHB2 might add in my own system in noise floor and dynamics. And when I say dynamics I am thinking of how much more of the extremely LOW LEVEL information that has a tendency to hide below a system's noise floor it might reveal over my current amplification which has a higher noise floor than both of our DACs unlike your Benchmark which is as far as I know a world leader in that respect.
My amplification is the limiting factor in dynamics compared to the Benchmark.
But there is NO WAY, absolutely NO WAY any such theoretical or audible advantage would be noticable even via headphones via your video since you have used a digital recorder not capable of resolving even at its native 24/96 setting the parts in your system, not to mention downsampled for your video.
And although very nice to listen to, the music you have chosen is virtually devoid of any real dynamic range anyway.
IMHO it is the kind of music often chosen at HIFI shows and demos by many brands simply because it sounds nice via basically any decent system.
I have to admit that even in your video,which by the way really sucks visually, it still sounds quite nice.
But what you and many others posting videos like this one obviously fail to realize is that all videos like this can REALLY do is be visual teasers anyway. And in that respect like I said above and in my first post, it really sucks.

It brings to mind the Swedish Company Electrolux's famous campaign for their vaccum cleaners in the USA. "Nothing sucks like Electrolux"
I can't even see that the black box on your table is a Benchmark amp.

My advice to you and other budding videographers is to use at least a decent camera for your videos.
And if you still insist on handholding it,PLEASE use some kind of stabilizer.
But the best way is to use a a good camera and a tripod EVERY time you make a video that you want to share with others on the web.
Cheers and enjoy both your H2 and your AHB2 Christer
I am personally a bit tempted to add both two AHB2s,one for each channel, and Benchmark's new preamp headphone amp to my system.
Until Rob launches his digital amps the Benchmarks are quite possibly just that, Benchmarks as far as low noise floor is concerned. The new headphone amp obviously has the lowest measured noise floor of any amp on the market?
I am quite keen to hear how it might improve, if at all, on my current Benchmark headphone amp that I use with my Qutest via headphones.
Oh my g**! And to think I unblocked your posts.

Jun 11, 2018 at 6:31 PM Post #13,166 of 22,516
Quality of the video aside, I never understood what good it would do to record the sound of ones soundsystem to present that to other people who will then listen to that on their own system. Could somebody enlighten me?

Jun 11, 2018 at 6:42 PM Post #13,167 of 22,516
Quality of the video aside, I never understood what good it would do to record the sound of ones soundsystem to present that to other people who will then listen to that on their own system. Could somebody enlighten me?
You might be right. But, Herb Reichart (or something like that), did a video in his listening room with some Joseph Audio speakers, using a binaurially miked headset in a Stereophile column. It was interesting to hear-if only a reproduction-what he hears, directly. It isn't perfect, but I for one, thought it worth the trouble to hear a fraction of what a hi-end system can sound like. Maybe we could get off @rkd31's case and say thanks for the effort. I'd like to hear more peoples' systems, especially if they could grab one of those headset mics. Thanks RKT.

Jun 11, 2018 at 6:43 PM Post #13,168 of 22,516
+1 (it makes no sense to me)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back