Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
May 1, 2018 at 4:49 PM Post #12,481 of 22,537
May 1, 2018 at 5:18 PM Post #12,482 of 22,537
I too hope for a 2Go announcement this month.
However I would be cautious about shipping the 2Go, until Chord have sorted out the remaining peculiarities in the Poly/app code, especially the 'bricking' issue.
I am a potential customer for the 2Go, but I remain slightly nervous, after the Poly experience that I have watched from the sidelines.
Nevertheless i would be happy to take part in a beta test program, to try and ensure that the 2Go launches smoothly.
So would I. But, on those pics you guys found, can you perceive any details such as controls or connections?

Last edited by a moderator:
May 1, 2018 at 5:36 PM Post #12,483 of 22,537
Last edited:
May 1, 2018 at 5:40 PM Post #12,484 of 22,537

Loving the look of it- especially in black (luckily, that’s the Hugo 2 type I own as well); it’d be interesting to see how the silver H2 would look with a black 2Go and vice versa:p

May 1, 2018 at 6:05 PM Post #12,485 of 22,537
These were mentioned a couple of years ago, in the Mojo thread, but I didn't include them in post #3 as I didn't feel they were likely to maintain a reliable connection if used in someone's pocket (due to the leverage of the plugs, when rubbing against the inside of a pocket). In other words, their 'pro' (preventing damage in a situation where inadvertent force may often be exterted upon the microUSB plug, and consequently exerted upon the microUSB socket) is, paradoxically, also their 'con', in that they may struggle to maintain a reliable connection, precisely because they are intended to release when such pressure is exerted. Therefore (quick gasp for more breath!), they are probably much better suited to desktop use, where accidental exertion of leverage upon the microUSB plug is likely to occur only sporadically, rather than quite regularly. Ideally suited to Hugo1/2, in that respect, but perhaps less-so the pocketable Mojo.

I do like the idea; I just don't want to lead anyone down the path of buying them only to find that they drive people insane with regular unwanted disconnections.

I'm open to hearing any vehement disagreement; the above is only in the spirit of explaining why I didn't add it to post#3, 2 yrs ago.

I've been using these magnetic plugs for a while, but only for the power port of the Mojo or the Hugo--as Mython points out, the fact that they detach easily will inevitably lead to broken data connections. But if you leave the tiny USB insert inside the Mojo charging port, then they are great for avoiding stress on the USB socket. Another advantage of these plugs is that you don't have to struggle to make sure that you attach the plug in the right orientation--at least when using them for power only. For data however, only one alignment works.

May 1, 2018 at 6:09 PM Post #12,486 of 22,537
I see no controls, and the connection end is hidden by the Hugo2 while attached. There’s the micro USB input for charging, 2 mSD slots, and an Ethernet port.

John replied to you previously about a control add-on. No further information as far as I can tell:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cho...official-thread.831345/page-677#post-13968993
Thanks. Maybe I'm just anticipating. And I remember John saying he'd try to keep blind accessability in mind. He's the first hi-end audio businessman to listen to what I had to say. And whatever comes out, he'll always have my respect.

May 1, 2018 at 6:29 PM Post #12,487 of 22,537
@Staxton

Are you getting the full on 2A charge rate with your magnetic cables? If so which specific cable are you using?

*Refer to my post 1-2 pages back about H2 only seeing a 1A charge with the magnetic cord.

Guys this is what I ordered but need to ask @Rob Watts a question first. I just tried this cable with a 2.8A charger because I've been only getting the H2 to see a 1A charge (light blue led) with the cable. I switched back to a standard micro usb cable and the H2 shows 2A with the same charger (white led). Could the LED indicator on the cable itself be throwing off the H2 to only see 1A coming in?

I see there is a right angle version with no LED that I might order.

This is what I ordered: (again maybe wait til I find out whats the deal with the 1A/2A issue)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07587L35T

I've been using these magnetic plugs for a while, but only for the power port of the Mojo or the Hugo--as Mython points out, the fact that they detach easily will inevitably lead to broken data connections. But if you leave the tiny USB insert inside the Mojo charging port, then they are great for avoiding stress on the USB socket. Another advantage of these plugs is that you don't have to struggle to make sure that you attach the plug in the right orientation--at least when using them for power only. For data however, only one alignment works.

May 1, 2018 at 7:06 PM Post #12,488 of 22,537
Guys this is what I ordered but need to ask @Rob Watts a question first. I just tried this cable with a 2.8A charger because I've been only getting the H2 to see a 1A charge (light blue led) with the cable. I switched back to a standard micro usb cable and the H2 shows 2A with the same charger (white led). Could the LED indicator on the cable itself be throwing off the H2 to only see 1A coming in?

I see there is a right angle version with no LED that I might order.

This is what I ordered: (again maybe wait til I find out whats the deal with the 1A/2A issue)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07587L35T

If a cable means that the charging current is reduced to 1A, then this indicates that the resistance of the cable and connectors is too high. Nothing that can be done about that, except replace the cable.

I should point out that the USB connector assembly is extremely strong on Hugo 2. The connector has metal tabs; the PCB has slots milled into the PCB; these slots are then thru plated; solder paste is applied (actually by a robot that injects paste into the slot plus the usual printing of paste on the top and bottom of the board) so that when the assembly is reflow soldered a continuous lump of solder surrounds the tab with solder on the bottom of the connector (top of PCB) connecting to the bottom surface of the PCB and ensures that for the connector to fail you actually have to break the PCB. Moreover, the chassis of Hugo 2 has been designed to mechanically support the connector too. Since this methodology has been applied (it was has been for all Hugo 2's) I have not heard of a failure.

May 1, 2018 at 7:11 PM Post #12,489 of 22,537
If a cable means that the charging current is reduced to 1A, then this indicates that the resistance of the cable and connectors is too high. Nothing that can be done about that, except replace the cable.

I should point out that the USB connector assembly is extremely strong on Hugo 2. The connector has metal tabs; the PCB has slots milled into the PCB; these slots are then thru plated; solder paste is applied (actually by a robot that injects paste into the slot plus the usual printing of paste on the top and bottom of the board) so that when the assembly is reflow soldered a continuous lump of solder surrounds the tab with solder on the bottom of the connector (top of PCB) connecting to the bottom surface of the PCB and ensures that for the connector to fail you actually have to break the PCB. Moreover, the chassis of Hugo 2 has been designed to mechanically support the connector too. Since this methodology has been applied (it was has been for all Hugo 2's) I have not heard of a failure.

Very nice. I've been an electronics manufacturing engineer for about 11 years now and you don't see many people use the SMT/TH microUSB connectors, most designs I see are just SMT and I'd usually stake them with an SMT epoxy to help mechanical stability. Otherwise they're fairly flimsy for a connector you'd expect thousands of insertions over the life of the product.

May 1, 2018 at 7:13 PM Post #12,490 of 22,537
@Staxton

Are you getting the full on 2A charge rate with your magnetic cables? If so which specific cable are you using?

*Refer to my post 1-2 pages back about H2 only seeing a 1A charge with the magnetic cord.

I just checked and I seem to get light blue whether I use the Chord Charger directly or the magnetic plugs. I actually use the magnetic plugs more with the mojo because I use the Hugo2 in desktop mode and it's plugged in all the time.

This is what I've been using: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06X95HCDS/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1. With these I can use the Chord Charger or any charger where the microUSB cable is directly attached to the wall wart, or I can use any microUSB cable I have lying around with a charger like the Apple iPad charger. I've also used a version of the netdot cable with a Samsung Phone.

You may be on to something, though, about the power output of these things, because I seem to remember having some problems with them with some other gear, where they didn't seem to be charging them very fast. Unfortunately I can't remember exactly what that was all about. They do seem to work fine with the Mojo and the Raspberry Pi portable front end I use with it--I usually charge them overnight so I don't actually know how they compare to normal USB cords in terms of charging time. What I like most about them is not having to stick the microUSB plug into the Mojo all the time, because I inevitably try to put it in upside down, which can't be good for the port.

May 1, 2018 at 8:30 PM Post #12,492 of 22,537
Thank you for the replies! I will test the non-LED indicator cables which are arriving Thursday.

@Rob Watts, the Chord units (H2 in particular if there are variances with models) will still charge to full 100% capacity with 1A charge in ~8hrs - this is correct? Or will the H2 only charge to 50% with a 1A charger?

May 1, 2018 at 8:42 PM Post #12,493 of 22,537
Sure, sure.

Though, the Mojo has both a cable adapter package and the Poly. You obviously can't use both at the same time, but it'd be nice if they did the same for H2. Not, necessary, just nice.
Agreed. Have been exclusively using the iPhone module with Mojo. Insanely convenient, especially after Apple banned all the 3rd party cables.

May 1, 2018 at 8:45 PM Post #12,494 of 22,537
Thank you for the replies! I will test the non-LED indicator cables which are arriving Thursday.

@Rob Watts, the Chord units (H2 in particular if there are variances with models) will still charge to full 100% capacity with 1A charge in ~8hrs - this is correct? Or will the H2 only charge to 50% with a 1A charger?

Yes it will fully charge, just take double the time when charging only.

May 2, 2018 at 1:01 AM Post #12,495 of 22,537
What does 2Go do?

If all the features are identical to the Poly at minimum, then there are quite a few features:
- SD Card slot to load music
- DLNA server built in to access that music (any DLNA client will work to access the music)
- GoFigure App for iOS and Android to configure the 2Go
- WiFi client (which can access your home WiFi network and receive from streaming apps)
-> Airplay from iOS
-> Client for receiving streaming (from Spotify, Tidal, presumably Deezer, etc.)
- WiFi hotspot capability so you can your smart phone or computer as a WiFi client to connect to it
- Assuming bluetooth capability (Though the H2 already has it) for configuring the 2Go and Quickplay

Because of the extra space the 2Go will have compared to the Poly, I'm guessing that better hardware will be used and everything will function faster and more smoothly.

One possible feature that does not currently exist in the Poly: simultaneous WiFi client and AP functionality, which would allow pass-through to internet. That way, if using your iPhone to connect to the 2Go, WiFi-based internet access would continue to function.

I'm not basing the above off of any article I read, so there could be more. I'm just basing my above feature list off of what the Poly can do. Other folks may have a better idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back