Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Jan 30, 2018 at 7:42 AM Post #10,546 of 22,516
@musickid and @AndrewH13 thank you for your inputs.
But, from what I've read here in the thread I realised that the only way to bypass the battery circuit is keep H2 turned on 24/7.
But I can be wrong and misunderstood so decided to ask.

It’s just the terminology. Just to clarify, Keep plugged in at mains. Turn on and off with right side button when used. Light will be magenta when in use and turned on, then when turned off - white while topping up battery, going to no light when fully charged.

Jan 30, 2018 at 8:06 AM Post #10,547 of 22,516
hi silvahr.

after you turn off h2 you will see white light for about half hour till it charges fully it will then switch off. as long as you keep it plugged in when you you turn it on it will show purple intell. desktop mode light. very easy

Jan 30, 2018 at 8:57 AM Post #10,548 of 22,516
I am not a headphone designer, so take my comments with the proverbial pinch of salt. ... The headphones that I do not consider good at all, all have increasing distortion at low frequencies - and it's those headphones when people tend to post about needing extra amps...

This is super interesting. The AQ Nighthawks are very low if you look at the measurements. The Hifiman HE-6, which I’m very familiar with also are almost as low in the lower region, and better in the treble, perhaps. But the Senns (600, 650, 800s) are terrible below 100hz. Although I felt the tour Hugo2 could drive the HE-6 satisfyingly, I almost always use an amp with Mojo. Though I run the HD-650 straight (and the Nighthawks, of course). Perhaps I need Dave to drive HE-6, as I never fully warmed to the NightHawk sound.

Jan 30, 2018 at 9:40 AM Post #10,549 of 22,516
But, from what I've read here in the thread I realised that the only way to bypass the battery circuit is keep H2 turned on 24/7.

Are you trying to conserve the battery life?

Because we should consider the battery as a buffer that will filter any possible noise related issues that might be coming from the mains power supply.

Perhaps try to concentrate on your own safety and health and not on battery life................ maybe a bit like this? :ksc75smile:

tenor.gif
P.S. Sponge-Bob-Square-Pants is going to get me into trouble with the mods soon!

Jan 30, 2018 at 10:57 AM Post #10,550 of 22,516

It is NOT POSSIBLE to bypass the battery in any way. Keeping H2 turned on or connected to the charger merely puts it in Desktop mode where the battery is charged to a lower voltage. It is not bypassed or disconnected.

Jan 30, 2018 at 11:12 AM Post #10,551 of 22,516
Are you trying to conserve the battery life?

Because we should consider the battery as a buffer that will filter any possible noise related issues that might be coming from the mains power supply.

Perhaps try to concentrate on your own safety and health and not on battery life................ maybe a bit like this? :ksc75smile:

tenor.gif
P.S. Sponge-Bob-Square-Pants is going to get me into trouble with the mods soon!

So for my own sake is better to use H2 without have it connected to the charger?
Sorry but I'm really newbie and don't have knowledge in these subjects.

Jan 30, 2018 at 11:31 AM Post #10,552 of 22,516
So for my own sake is better to use H2 without have it connected to the charger?
Sorry but I'm really newbie and don't have knowledge in these subjects.

No problem at all - as most of us on H-F are a little obsessed with gear and music but sometimes we worry unnecessarily. :smile_phones:

If you are happy with the sound of your H2 when the power is connected to the mains, then all is good especially if you compare it to use without the power and you can hear no difference - then there is not need to upgrade.

I use this 5 volt battery pack on occasions (for at least a year now) and find it very good and reliable and useful, also it is possibly a cheap way for anyone to experiment to see if mains power is an issue for them in their circumstance especially when connecting your H2 to any external amp that is mains powered (for headphones or speakers).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product...fl_title_12?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2PGPJL0BBLHLX

Jan 30, 2018 at 12:25 PM Post #10,553 of 22,516
Are the record mixing devices up to task? If they have these issues, then some music is produced with too little bass and in that matter can sound better with boosted bass...

My first reaction to reading paul2qute reply was that I am sure people have read enough about my posting on adding another amp, as I really have said enough.

But then I thought - have I posted about all the ways that bloom, or the perception of added weight can be added to an amplifier? This would give the illusion that Chord amps are relatively underpowered (when of course they aren't). And I don't think I have posted about all the ways of how to artificially add to the perception of weight.

So here goes:

1. 2nd harmonic addition. Now I have posted about this before, and it's something that is well known about. The ear is actually pretty poor transducer for bass; the ear is non-linear, and not very good at detecting the pitch of low frequencies (bass). The ear/brain has a number of tricks available to actually let the brain compensate for the ear's poor low frequency performance. One of these tricks is to take the 2nd harmonic, then use the level of the 2nd harmonic, together with some fundamental, to trigger the perception of the fundamental; so when you add 2nd harmonic distortion, it's easier to actually perceive the fundamental - so you hear the bass. Another way that the brain uses to infer or perceive bass is through transients, but that leads onto the WTA filters and another situation.

So adding 2nd harmonic makes you think that you are hearing more fundamental and more bass than there actually is. So having an amp (such as a tube) that creates more 2nd harmonic for bass (and this happens naturally with transformers and tubes) will give an illusion that there is more bass than there actually is.

2. Damping. Headphones and speakers are electro-acoustic systems that have a natural resonance in the bass; this resonance is damped (or controlled) mechanically and electrically; when a bass driver starts flapping out of control (creating more bass and the illusion of more weight) it creates a back EMF in the voice coil; this is controlled by the amp's OP impedance. Listening tests have shown that this is directly audible - a high OP impedance (low damping factor) gives more bass than a low output impedance (high damping factor); but with the high damping factor, although the bass is leaner, it starts and stops much faster and is much more accurate. So bass tightness, rhythm perception and impact improves.

3. AC coupling capacitors. These can add considerable bloom to bass, particularly electrolytic capacitors. There is an effect known as dielectric absorption; with this, the capacitor non-linearly stores charge; then it releases this charge at a time after the bass has finished, and creates a low frequency error that depends upon the previous low frequency amplitude envelope. This sounds like a softness in the bass, and it also increases bass perceived weight (you are actually adding low frequency errors). Moreover, they also add 2nd harmonic distortion too, and only with the bass. Indeed, I see a lot of DAC designers using this trick of having large amounts of 2nd harmonic but only with low frequencies - no names, but examine the 20Hz distortion against 1kHz - some DAC's have 1% THD at 20 Hz, and this is done solely to convince you into thinking the bass has more weight than it really has (this is actually done to try to compensate for a hard and glarying treble). You can fine tune the SQ by selecting the right caps - but all you are doing is balancing one distortion against another to try to fool you.

Now Hugo 2 does not "enjoy" any of these tricks - it has extraordinary low 2nd harmonic distortion (-130dB) and very low OP impedance (25 milli-ohms or 0.025 ohms many headphone amps are a few ohms), and no coupling caps at all (with the digital DC servo). So why don't I use these tricks? Simply because it would destroy transparency - and in particular destroy variability. There are some pieces of music where I want things to sound soft and warm and big; there are some tracks where the bass must be fast and super tight; if you use the above tricks - then everything always sounds the same. And that to me ruins the music.

So what does that mean if your headphone sounds too thin with no weight in the bass? EQ - or more importantly - get better headphones. There are many headphones IMHO that actually are not very good, even though they are very highly regarded in the Head-Fi community... If you plug a distorting headphone into Hugo 2 or Dave, it becomes very apparent and very easy to perceive headphone deficiencies.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2018 at 12:38 PM Post #10,554 of 22,516
I know this track featured in a TV show but 47m Spotify listens and 40m YouTube listens?

It must have been her bikini? Anyway, Rhye has a new album 'Blood' coming out on 2 February and I was listening to the one track available at the moment on Spotify Free.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2018 at 12:51 PM Post #10,555 of 22,516
Enjoying the new album 'All Mellody' by Nils Frahm on Spotify Free, thought you might enjoy this video where he shows us the studio and talks about his music and how he makes it

It's great Hugo 2 + headphones music

Jan 30, 2018 at 12:55 PM Post #10,556 of 22,516
To those concerned about battery life: Turning the Hugo₂ off (while connected to the mains) does indeed end desktop mode during this phase, meaning it will start to fully charge the battery instead of remaining at a lower level for extended battery life. As soon as it's turned on again it will enter desktop mode again, though. Now this may look like an advice to leave the device on in the interest of battery life, but also consider that the current used in this phase will force the battery to charge more often than when it's turned off. And most important: Leaving the Hugo₂ on all the time will shorten the lifetime of the electronics components. It's not just about the battery!

Jan 30, 2018 at 1:05 PM Post #10,558 of 22,516
To those concerned about battery life: Turning the Hugo₂ off (while connected to the mains) does indeed end desktop mode during this phase, meaning it will start to fully charge the battery instead of remaining at a lower level for extended battery life. As soon as it's turned on again it will enter desktop mode again, though. Now this may look like an advice to leave the device on in the interest of battery life, but also consider that the current used in this phase will force the battery to charge more often than when it's turned off. And most important: Leaving the Hugo₂ on all the time will shorten the lifetime of the electronics components. It's not just about the battery!
Thanks for clearing that up. I thought it was in desktop mode after 24-hours whether on or off.

Jan 30, 2018 at 2:03 PM Post #10,559 of 22,516
Only a Canadian...........................called Linda Manzer who made it for Henrik Andersen who demonstrates how wonderful it sounds. Joe Bonamassa need not fear redundancy :cold_sweat:

The guitar has 52 strings, three necks, harp strings.....................Oh, sounds great through my Hugo 2

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2018 at 2:12 PM Post #10,560 of 22,516
And please don't complain that I don't think of what you all appreciate, beautiful guitar, sounded particularly good with my Hugo 2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back