Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Dec 10, 2017 at 9:01 PM Post #9,331 of 22,516
actually i listened at sonority design in the west midlands UK and apart from the owner it was just me there in a luxury lounge type setting for around 4 hours and very quiet. i was lucky that day. i suppose it comes down to being more patient and willing to save for a longer period. nothing magical there!!! :deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse:i could have H2 within two weeks?? Steve at sonority design was the perfect host with cups of tea and everything. if i go dave way it will be from sonority design for sure. they don't sell you anything there they help you build your dream system when you are ready.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2017 at 9:05 PM Post #9,332 of 22,516
side tracked further, but ony for those who do not think I am completely insane:

The 50th anniversary edition of Sgt. Pepper is being released on December 15th in 24/96 on Hugo 2.

I have enjoyed the new mix and it will be interesting to hear this release.
The new mix does indeed sound fantastic! :grinning:

Dec 10, 2017 at 9:06 PM Post #9,333 of 22,516
actually i listened at sonority design in the west midlands UK and apart from the owner it was just me there in a luxury lounge type setting for around 4 hours. i was lucky that day. i suppose it comes down to being more patient and willing to save for a longer period. nothing magical there!!! :deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse:i could have H2 within two weeks??

Hehe exactly, it comes down to your own decision now - budgeting is always fun.

Even though you were very lucky that day in a quiet environment I do find a home trial much more beneficial. Moreso to do with being in a relaxed state of just listening to music rather than an analytical state like in a shop.

Is a week long risk-free home trial possible where you are? Normally a place where you've purchased gear before can be more accomodating.

Dec 10, 2017 at 9:10 PM Post #9,334 of 22,516
actually i listened at sonority design in the west midlands UK and apart from the owner it was just me there in a luxury lounge type setting for around 4 hours and very quiet. i was lucky that day. i suppose it comes down to being more patient and willing to save for a longer period. nothing magical there!!! :deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse:i could have H2 within two weeks?? Steve at sonority design was the perfect host with cups of tea and everything. if i go dave way it will be from sonority design for sure. they don't sell you anything there they help you build your dream system when you are ready.

I think you should save up for a Dave and get what you really want. Reading between the lines of many of your posts it seems that you liked Hugo 2 but couldn't relax the same way Mojo makes you relax and forget about the gear.

Another option around the price range of Hugo 2 is a used TT which has the same relaxing quality as Mojo but just bigger and better in everyway. But trust me, Hugo TT is no Dave and you may want to upgrade to Dave anyhow so might as well save up and get what you really want.

Dec 10, 2017 at 9:10 PM Post #9,335 of 22,516
sonority design isn't a shop. think of it as a vast upper space in an industrial estate packed full of audio wonders. the american speakers were imported and cost 80k. the emphasis is on chord/moon and hifi consultancy. no way do you get typical salesman pitch. its a novel way for sure and it works. many thanks max your evaluation is very accurate.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2017 at 9:39 PM Post #9,336 of 22,516
side tracked further, but ony for those who do not think I am completely insane:

The 50th anniversary edition of Sgt. Pepper is being released on December 15th in 24/96 on Hugo 2.

Excellent! They did a good job cleaning up and remixing it. Hope we can get it in upper north America.

Dec 10, 2017 at 9:45 PM Post #9,337 of 22,516
I've owned H2 and recently had the chance to listen dave/blu2 for around 3 hours through oppo PM1 and LCD-X and 80K speakers. with H2 and headphones you are listening to the music in the best possible way, with dave you become totally engaged as a whole with the music similar to an acoustic or live performance. with blu2 added the music starts to take on a whole new dimension and representation. you will feel shocked initially because you will not recognise what you are listening to, only later do you realise that that is how the music would actually sound if you were actually there with the artists. to say this device is a percentage of another device's performance when considering H2, Blu2, Dave just isn't true or anywhere near a true approximation. its nonsense imho. The 1000,000 taps+ approaching infinite tap length is a live performance in your lounge every night. i personally have a tough decision to make another shot at H2 in a couple of weeks or the possibility of dave in the summer. tough nut. any advice ?? dave/blu2 listened through mentioned headphones and high end speakers. actually with blu2 in the mix it took me to a place i never knew existed. a boundary was crossed for sure.

currently listening En Francais Julio Iglesias Nostalgie (Nathalie)

Why not keep your Hugo2 and add a Blu2? Portable Hugo2, and you get the 1M taps when you're at home. I'm queuing up to demo this config vs the BluDAVE this week.

Dec 10, 2017 at 9:48 PM Post #9,338 of 22,516
Why not keep your Hugo2 and add a Blu2? Portable Hugo2, and you get the 1M taps when you're at home. I'm queuing up to demo this config vs the BluDAVE this week.

Interested in your findings. :)

Dec 10, 2017 at 9:49 PM Post #9,339 of 22,516
h2/blu2 doesn't get you 1million taps afaik? could you explain further

Dec 10, 2017 at 10:22 PM Post #9,340 of 22,516
1M taps comes from the Blu2. When you connect to the DAVE, it bypasses the bulk of the digital pipeline and goes into the final processing steps of the digital pipeline then into the pulse array digital to analog stage.

With the H2, it does the same. There is a 3.5mm dual coax jack that accepts the dual BNC outputs from the Blu2.

DAVE has a better pulse array DAC than H2, 2W output vs 1W output, better isolation, and better power supply, but the 1M taps is the same from the Blu2.

For giggles, if you could record the output of the Blu2 at 705kHz/24bit and had enough disk space, the DAVE and Hugo2 could both play it back (and yes, I can't wait for the Davina :wink:

Dec 10, 2017 at 10:29 PM Post #9,341 of 22,516
Really? In any event, why would you want to take digital out of Dave. I though the whole point of Dave was digital to analogue conversion.

To followup my last post, FWIW, I have the digital outs of my DAVE wired to BNC to RCA adapters to an RCA to 3.5mm stereo adapter. When my buddy comes over later this week, I'll be plugging that into the dual coax input of his Hugo2. That will let us listen to the BluHugo2 and BluDAVE simultaneous.

Of course, this is all in theory, so let's see what happens.

As an aside, how awesome is it that Rob anticipated all of this 3 years ago when designing and implementing the DAVE...the Blu2, the Davina, the digital amps, etc. It's not like there are firmware updates for these devices, what shipped 2 1/2 years ago had all the bits and hooks in place for what will be coming over the next 18-24 months. That's pretty damn awesome.

Dec 10, 2017 at 10:30 PM Post #9,342 of 22,516
I read that somewhere, might have been the Mojo thread. Someone who had an earlier Mojo and a later one noticed the volume stepping was different between them.

That was me. My first Mojo I got days after the initial release. With that, the alternating colours, where one button would show a different colour half the time for the volume, started below red. With the new one, the alternating colours covers the whole volume range instead, IIRC.

My Hugo 2, which appears to be an original demo model, has a couple of the issues mentioned by people early on, but I didn't mention them because by the time I had a review written, they were fixed. I actually can't think of any product where I've bought very early in production which didn't have some or other problem, or had changes made soon after production started.

Dec 10, 2017 at 10:30 PM Post #9,343 of 22,516
has anyone done a real listening test between h2/blu2 and dave/blu2? if that is on headfi or elsewhere could you direct me please. can you also do digital out from dave into h2? i've never heard of a dac that does digital out. just learnt dave does digital out for the new digital amps. i'm not sure if digital out from dave to h2 would work. we're learning.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2017 at 11:34 PM Post #9,344 of 22,516

Wonderful album. I still own two copies of the original LP release and play it every spring when I return home to Sweden again.
But I seriously doubt that a 24/96 re-master can do much about the actual SQ.
But I would be more than happy to be proven wrong.
If my memory serves me right hearing some Beatles master tapes was not an experience Rob Watts saluted as anything exactly revelatory as far as SQ was concerned. Rather the opposite.
But unlike a lot of the massproduced crap the kids of today keep playing far too loud, the Beatles often made music for the ages.
Not all of it. But Sgt Peppers certainly counts among the gems of that era in popular music imho.
Cheers and Merry Xmas
Christer

Users who are viewing this thread

Back