Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Dec 9, 2017 at 10:41 PM Post #9,316 of 22,516
@Rob Watts

PS: Currently listening to Santana - Abraxas.

Just using Roon > Rasberry Pi3 HAT with TOSlink output > short Lifatec Glass TOSlink cable > Hugo2 > HD800S cans

This album doesn't have as much bass as the modern stuff I normally enjoy, so I'm happy to engage the blue cross-feed filter with it's slight bass boost

The chimes on Singing Winds sound too real ! :) And then followed by Black Magic Woman.

How good is this !

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2017 at 9:57 AM Post #9,319 of 22,516
@Rob Watts

If you or anyone else can help, I'm going nuts over here!

My Hugo 2's micro usb is not working. I've tried with an iPhone 6, ipad pro, mac mini and a Samsung 7 phone. And I did use both the apple cck camera connection as well as an otg cable for the samsung, as appropriate.

Fyi, this connection was working in the past.

Thank you for any help you can give.

Dec 10, 2017 at 10:45 AM Post #9,320 of 22,516
@Rob Watts

If you or anyone else can help, I'm going nuts over here!

My Hugo 2's micro usb is not working. I've tried with an iPhone 6, ipad pro, mac mini and a Samsung 7 phone. And I did use both the apple cck camera connection as well as an otg cable for the samsung, as appropriate.

Fyi, this connection was working in the past.

Thank you for any help you can give.
As a starter, let's try and narrow things down.
Is it just the usb input that is not working?
Are you able test the optical and coaxial inputs?
Have you used the remote control to select the optical or coaxial input, and forgotten to switch back to usb input?

Dec 10, 2017 at 1:49 PM Post #9,322 of 22,516
I read that somewhere, might have been the Mojo thread. Someone who had an earlier Mojo and a later one noticed the volume stepping was different between them.

Not confusing with a Questyle thread where a firmware has doubled amount of volume steps?

Dec 10, 2017 at 5:03 PM Post #9,324 of 22,516
I've just bought the chord Hugo 2 to connect with my Shure KSE1500. This is awesome combo and hopefully my end-game.....
there is no such thing as end-game in this hobby!!!!
it's very hard to stop...

Dec 10, 2017 at 6:00 PM Post #9,326 of 22,516
there is no such thing as end-game in this hobby!!!!
it's very hard to stop...
I wonder where the end point even is? Anybody care to speculate about how close we might be to truly transparent audio reproduction, i.e., beyond which point nothing else is going to offer even the slightest improvement in any audible aspect - other than via the all-important placebo effect, of course :wink:

I'd recommend any new Hugo 2 owners avoid a careful A/B testing against a Chord Dave. You will only end up feeling sad about your new purchase. The Hugo 2 is great, but obviously not an end point to those with limitless finances.

Dec 10, 2017 at 6:38 PM Post #9,327 of 22,516
I'd recommend any new Hugo 2 owners avoid a careful A/B testing against a Chord Dave. You will only end up feeling sad about your new purchase. The Hugo 2 is great, but obviously not an end point to those with limitless finances.

Good advice, but too late. :wink: I ended up with a Dave now.

Dec 10, 2017 at 6:56 PM Post #9,328 of 22,516
side tracked further, but ony for those who do not think I am completely insane:

The 50th anniversary edition of Sgt. Pepper is being released on December 15th in 24/96 on Hugo 2.

I have enjoyed the new mix and it will be interesting to hear this release.

Dec 10, 2017 at 8:39 PM Post #9,329 of 22,516
I've owned H2 and recently had the chance to listen dave/blu2 for around 3 hours through oppo PM1 and LCD-X and 80K speakers. with H2 and headphones you are listening to the music in the best possible way, with dave you become totally engaged as a whole with the music similar to an acoustic or live performance. with blu2 added the music starts to take on a whole new dimension and representation. you will feel shocked initially because you will not recognise what you are listening to, only later do you realise that that is how the music would actually sound if you were actually there with the artists. to say this device is a percentage of another device's performance when considering H2, Blu2, Dave just isn't true or anywhere near a true approximation. its nonsense imho. The 1000,000 taps+ approaching infinite tap length is a live performance in your lounge every night. i personally have a tough decision to make another shot at H2 in a couple of weeks or the possibility of dave in the summer. tough nut. any advice ?? dave/blu2 listened through mentioned headphones and high end speakers. actually with blu2 in the mix it took me to a place i never knew existed. a boundary was crossed for sure.

currently listening En Francais Julio Iglesias Nostalgie (Nathalie)

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2017 at 8:54 PM Post #9,330 of 22,516
any advice ??

Hehe since you've listened to all the options you're considering and you know all the costs involved - what external advice is needed now?

Sure it's a tough decision but I can't imagine what more info is needed after spending quality time with both. That's almost ideal! :gs1000smile:

I say almost because ideal would be being able to have Dave/Blu2 at home, in relaxed listening environment (as opposed to being in a shop or show) over a week or more. A lengthy home trial.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back