Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Dec 11, 2017 at 12:53 AM Post #9,347 of 22,467
there is a special firmware update which causes H2 to spontaneously reproduce strawberry fields effective tomorrow from 12 noon i think.:deadhorse::deadhorse:

Dec 11, 2017 at 6:41 AM Post #9,349 of 22,467
I continue to be impressed by the H2. Now driving the Noble Kaiser Encores I received on Saturday. The detail retrieval of the H2 makes it very easy to hear the differences (for the most part, improvements) with the Kaiser Encores compared to the Shure SE846s I have been using for the past two years.

Dec 11, 2017 at 7:14 AM Post #9,350 of 22,467
3 years 846 for me 1 year now with encores, noble never looked back with ch1.

Dec 11, 2017 at 8:51 AM Post #9,351 of 22,467
Wonderful album. I still own two copies of the original LP release and play it every spring when I return home to Sweden again.
But I seriously doubt that a 24/96 re-master can do much about the actual SQ.
But I would be more than happy to be proven wrong.
If my memory serves me right hearing some Beatles master tapes was not an experience Rob Watts saluted as anything exactly revelatory as far as SQ was concerned. Rather the opposite.
But unlike a lot of the massproduced crap the kids of today keep playing far too loud, the Beatles often made music for the ages.
Not all of it. But Sgt Peppers certainly counts among the gems of that era in popular music imho.
Cheers and Merry Xmas
Christer
I think you'll find the remix a substancial improvement. They were able to roll back some of the track bouncing which would add generational tape loss, improving the overall SQ.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 11, 2017 at 9:14 AM Post #9,352 of 22,467
Wonderful album. I still own two copies of the original LP release and play it every spring when I return home to Sweden again.
But I seriously doubt that a 24/96 re-master can do much about the actual SQ.
But I would be more than happy to be proven wrong.
If my memory serves me right hearing some Beatles master tapes was not an experience Rob Watts saluted as anything exactly revelatory as far as SQ was concerned. Rather the opposite.
But unlike a lot of the massproduced crap the kids of today keep playing far too loud, the Beatles often made music for the ages.
Not all of it. But Sgt Peppers certainly counts among the gems of that era in popular music imho.
Cheers and Merry Xmas
Christer

"But I would be more than happy to be proven wrong", I do love your SOH................Happy Xmas

Dec 11, 2017 at 9:26 AM Post #9,353 of 22,467
My plan to audition a pair of Utopias with my Hugo 2 (and Questyle QP2R DAP) is progressing nicely. Atlas Cables are very kindly contributing a 1m Balanced cable so I can use the BO on my QP2R but I will using the standard 4m Focal cable when using my Hugo 2. Atlas Cables is still working on the ins and outs of a 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter. Thank you Atlas Cables for being so supportive btw. I am collecting the Utopias on 18 December and will keep them over Christmas (they might as well be in my house doing something useful rather than sitting in a warehouse in the UK). I will of course post my views and I will probably PM one or two of you for a bit of help re posting photos (sorry I haven't done this before).

Dec 11, 2017 at 12:55 PM Post #9,354 of 22,467
I'm not finding a huge difference in volume between the Aeon Flow Open and the Ether Flow Closed with the Hugo 2. Can anyone else comment on this? I have both on the color is "Cyan". I figured I would have to turn the EFO up a lot more then the AFO. I can have both at the same color and get similar loudness

Dec 11, 2017 at 1:54 PM Post #9,355 of 22,467
Dec 11, 2017 at 6:25 PM Post #9,356 of 22,467
I'm not finding a huge difference in volume between the Aeon Flow Open and the Ether Flow Closed with the Hugo 2. Can anyone else comment on this? I have both on the color is "Cyan". I figured I would have to turn the EFO up a lot more then the AFO. I can have both at the same color and get similar loudness

One is slightly less efficient and the other has slightly higher impedance. Should be a wash.

Once again, I’m curious what you are listening to at cyan with the ETHER Flow open? Seems like it would be pushing over 100dB constantly with most music by my experience. For reference I listen with the EFO at red/barely yellow in a quiet environment to get average dB levels of 85 with most music. Not trying to judge anything here, just curious why there’s such a difference in listening level unless you like to listen fairly loud.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2017 at 8:31 PM Post #9,357 of 22,467
One is slightly less efficient and the other has slightly higher impedance. Should be a wash.

Once again, I’m curious what you are listening to at cyan with the ETHER Flow open? Seems like it would be pushing over 100dB constantly with most music by my experience. For reference I listen with the EFO at red/barely yellow in a quiet environment to get average dB levels of 85 with most music. Not trying to judge anything here, just curious why there’s such a difference in listening level unless you like to listen fairly loud.

Hey no problem- I know your not judging :L3000:.

I am running a MacBook pro through the Hugo 2 into Tidal. I have Tidal set to do "volume max" and also "exclusive control".
Its probably moderately loud in the store since we have music playing, but it doesn't take much volume to over take the sound. I am surprised my self that It is that high up..

I usually play music high enough to hear all the details and not anything over. That gets me to Cyan or a shade lower.

Dec 11, 2017 at 9:28 PM Post #9,358 of 22,467
Hey no problem- I know your not judging :L3000:.

I am running a MacBook pro through the Hugo 2 into Tidal. I have Tidal set to do "volume max" and also "exclusive control".
Its probably moderately loud in the store since we have music playing, but it doesn't take much volume to over take the sound. I am surprised my self that It is that high up..

I usually play music high enough to hear all the details and not anything over. That gets me to Cyan or a shade lower.

Thanks for your reply.

Interestingly, I also find the Utopia to play in the same volume range for my tastes as the EFO. The Utopia is more efficient, but higher impedance, than the EFO. Your report of the AEON and EFO being similar is great as I now have an approximate benchmark for the AEON (which I still haven’t heard!).

Dec 12, 2017 at 10:05 AM Post #9,359 of 22,467
Hi-Fi+ Magazine current issue confirms its 2017 Award winners:

Portable headphone amp/DAC = Chord Hugo 2 (but only the silver ones)

Digital Audio Player = Questyle QP2R (I wonder who bought one of those recently?)

Cost-no-Object Headphone = HiFiMan Shangri-La

High-end headphone = Sonoma Acoustics Model One and Abyss AB-1266 Phi (I was wondering about these two choices but I'll learn more about them before commenting further)

And I was delighted to see that the Jeff Rowland got Preamp 2017 with their Capri S2 (I have a JR Corus two box preamp) and then there was a feature on the Wilson Benesch company (who make my ACT C60 loudspeakers) so unsurprisingly I bought the magazine as I confess I normally am a free browser. I apologise to you all for any bragging..............................It's only a small apology actually, yee ha!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back