Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Nov 16, 2017 at 10:40 PM Post #8,898 of 22,510
Any word on eta?

i think ces in january may see it. although id prefer an m-scaler in miniature instead. im also hoping for a TT2. although these chord products are getting very expensive. like other tech sectors ...i say launch new product at the same price and discount the older model.

Nov 16, 2017 at 10:47 PM Post #8,899 of 22,510
I don't believe that is what is happening here. Regardless, we're not talking about how loud an amp can get.

That might well explain my experience then. The amps I like have a high voltage output. I'm starting to think that amps in general would benefit from all having documented load/power output graphs.

If chord DAC's are not in full white on the volume, then the OP will never ever be voltage limited; it's just impossible with any input - so extra voltage headroom won't make any difference at all.

Nov 16, 2017 at 11:37 PM Post #8,900 of 22,510
I didn't know the H2 could be so expensive.. are all the Hugo2 the same regardless of where you purchase them from? i.e volume limitation for some devices if purchased from EU

Yes, they are all the same. I never buy anything here in NZ if it is grossly overpriced.
There is a kind if catch 22 working here. Distributors say that they have to jack up the price because the market is so small and buyers don't buy because the price is so high, thereby making the market even smaller. This kind of mentality will disappear soon enough, given that this is truly a global market and no one actually has to buy from overcharging merchants who are stuck in thinking that belongs to the previous century.

Nov 17, 2017 at 4:53 AM Post #8,906 of 22,510
Yes, they are all the same. I never buy anything here in NZ if it is grossly overpriced.
There is a kind if catch 22 working here. Distributors say that they have to jack up the price because the market is so small and buyers don't buy because the price is so high, thereby making the market even smaller. This kind of mentality will disappear soon enough, given that this is truly a global market and no one actually has to buy from overcharging merchants who are stuck in thinking that belongs to the previous century.

Yep you are right! Some distributors price things as though stuff has to take a perilous nine month voyage by sailing ship, run the gauntlet of pirates and then be unloaded by man powered crane. Whereas the reality is that UPS will get a package halfway round the world in a couple of days for not much more than they charge to deliver in a single country.

Nov 17, 2017 at 7:47 AM Post #8,907 of 22,510
I like watching HD laptop videos (youtube, vimeo, etc) with a room filling sound system. That is: pictures on the laptop (on my lap) and sound on the nearfield speakers. I can live with compression artifacts on the screen when the audio is glorious but the sound and picture need to be in sync. Hugo2's audio delay (latency through the device using USB) is just about tolerable when used this way. As you move up the Chord DAC line its all about taps and when (if) a M-Scaler for Hugo2 is released you will get fantastic fidelity ...but like about 1.6 seconds of audio delay ...which is impractical in this arrangement and cant be accommodated with direct app playback so you need to resort to a 3rd party playback (JRiver) or whatever.
So ...as much as I think that RWatts is on the right track for the reconstruction of the original audio samples, i wonder if the 'world at large' will ever move beyond the 2Qute/Hugo2 level of taps ...just to keep latency to a minimum. Even hard-core audiophiles will come around to appreciating some visuals with their music.

Other DAC topologies like R2R (Yggy, Holo) and high end DeltaSigma designs can produce similar-to-chord goosebump-inducing sonics with basically zero latency. I'd accept some SQ compromise for this flexibility.

Nov 17, 2017 at 8:03 AM Post #8,908 of 22,510
I like watching HD laptop videos (youtube, vimeo, etc) with a room filling sound system. That is: pictures on the laptop (on my lap) and sound on the nearfield speakers. I can live with compression artifacts on the screen when the audio is glorious but the sound and picture need to be in sync. Hugo2's audio delay (latency through the device using USB) is just about tolerable when used this way. As you move up the Chord DAC line its all about taps and when (if) a M-Scaler for Hugo2 is released you will get fantastic fidelity ...but like about 1.6 seconds of audio delay ...which is impractical in this arrangement and cant be accommodated with direct app playback so you need to resort to a 3rd party playback (JRiver) or whatever.
So ...as much as I think that RWatts is on the right track for the reconstruction of the original audio samples, i wonder if the 'world at large' will ever move beyond the 2Qute/Hugo2 level of taps ...just to keep latency to a minimum. Even hard-core audiophiles will come around to appreciating some visuals with their music.

Other DAC topologies like R2R (Yggy, Holo) and high end DeltaSigma designs can produce similar-to-chord goosebump-inducing sonics with basically zero latency. I'd accept some SQ compromise for this flexibility.
I like watching movies on the laptop too with Hugo 2 and headphones. I haven't find a problem about latency. Want to move to 2 channel speaker system,driven from Hugo 2 directly until i can afford Dave.
I am using Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.

Nov 17, 2017 at 8:57 AM Post #8,910 of 22,510
whats a 2go and why?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back