Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Nov 16, 2017 at 11:58 AM Post #8,881 of 22,467
It would be interesting to hear how well the XRS's can keep up with the Chord kit. The super alnico drivers are something special. If you have a chance to audition the XRS's please report back!
I think the XRS series are 98 dB vs 95 dB better at handling more complex music been told, because Hugo 2 does 1040 mW @ 8 ohm should be just enough to drive them directly, for normal near field listening.
How loud can Hugo 2 drive your Omegas?

Nov 16, 2017 at 12:12 PM Post #8,882 of 22,467
I'd love to hear the XRS's to compare. With the Hugo2, I'm able to drive the Super Alnico's comfortably to maybe 80dB? Very reasonable listening levels (esp. in near field), but you're not rocking the house. For more complex music, the chord magic tends to collapse though. For me, DAVE direct has no issues at reasonable listening levels.

Nov 16, 2017 at 12:13 PM Post #8,883 of 22,467
I have been listening to Dave with Focal Utopia for 2 hours and the sound was really nice, magical with quality low bass and micro details with average soundstage but very well defined imaging.. For the first ever i found the Utopias very comfortable, probably due the break in leather that was softer then the first time i tried them new. Unfortunately i didn't had my Hugo 2 with my to try the Utopia.
Is this open headphone the best with Hugo 2, or others sound better?
Cheers.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2017 at 12:16 PM Post #8,884 of 22,467
I'd love to hear the XRS's to compare. With the Hugo2, I'm able to drive the Super Alnico's comfortably to maybe 80dB? Very reasonable listening levels (esp. in near field), but you're not rocking the house. For more complex music, the chord magic tends to collapse though. For me, DAVE direct has no issues at reasonable listening levels.
That's fantastic, thanks for information.
Will you be kind enough to make a video for YouTube? I would like to get an idea how Hugo 2 drive Omega speakers.

Nov 16, 2017 at 1:38 PM Post #8,885 of 22,467
I am officially a Chord owner, was presented an offer for a new one I couldn’t refuse.. 1800usd... I have high hopes after reading through this thread. Can’t wait to try it out.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2017 at 1:44 PM Post #8,886 of 22,467
I am officially a Chord owner, was presented an offer for a new one I couldn’t refuse.. 1800usd... I have high hopes after reading through this thread. Can’t wait to try it out.
Congratulations, you did the right choice. you have nice headphones at home, so Hugo 2 will make you very happy with it's sound.

Nov 16, 2017 at 3:17 PM Post #8,887 of 22,467
Congratulations, you did the right choice. you have nice headphones at home, so Hugo 2 will make you very happy with it's sound.

Can’t wait to pair them up.

Nov 16, 2017 at 5:19 PM Post #8,888 of 22,467
My problem is when people start announcing that amplifier/DAC A is unable to drive headphones B and use that as an excuse for their wish to buy an external amplifier. This sometimes happens, even when amplifier/DAC A can easily drive headphones B to levels that will cause permanent hearing damage after a few minutes of listening...

I don't believe that is what is happening here. Regardless, we're not talking about how loud an amp can get.

It will be voltage limited at 80 ohms, so 350 mW...

That might well explain my experience then. The amps I like have a high voltage output. I'm starting to think that amps in general would benefit from all having documented load/power output graphs.

Nov 16, 2017 at 5:39 PM Post #8,889 of 22,467

That is not bad. In New Zealand they have the Hugo2 on "special" offer, $2600 USD, normal price $2877 USD, https://www.rapalloav.co.nz/chord-hugo-2-dac.html

It is actually quite cheap, because a swimmer has to swim with each of them across the sea.

Nov 16, 2017 at 5:46 PM Post #8,890 of 22,467
Nov 16, 2017 at 5:53 PM Post #8,891 of 22,467
I didn't know the H2 could be so expensive.. are all the Hugo2 the same regardless of where you purchase them from? i.e volume limitation for some devices if purchased from EU

Nov 16, 2017 at 7:08 PM Post #8,893 of 22,467
I'm starting to think that amps in general would benefit from all having documented load/power output graphs.

YES! Also, other meaningful specs like slew rate would be helpful.

Conversely, it would be great if headphone manufacturerers listed how much Voltage/Current is actually required to drive the transducer to a specific SPL.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2017 at 9:17 PM Post #8,894 of 22,467
There’s no equation we can use to get the power output for different headphones from knowing a few different ones already? I’m curious to what the output is for the Z1R’s at 64 ohms.

I’ve had the Hugo 2 since release and have to say it’s still continuing to impress. It’s interesting how I hear the most difference in electronic sounds as opposed to real instruments. It’s like hearing the sound from the electronic device itself rather than a recording of it, really cool sounding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back