Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Nov 18, 2017 at 7:35 AM Post #8,926 of 22,467
But I would need a case for the Hugo2 alone,
which case would become useless when I buy the 2Go and would buy another case housing both the Hugo2 + 2Go together.
So you're determined to hold up...over a simple case, when the 2go may not end up being what you're looking for? Do you want a case or a superb DAC?

Nov 18, 2017 at 7:37 AM Post #8,927 of 22,467
That was what I meant. It easily gets loud enough I just didn’t personally enjoy the sound which makes me a minority as I’ve learned.

To my ears listening thru the i4, it does start to "break up" at real high volumes where at lower volume (where I need to be listening at anyway) sound is crystal clear and beautiful. I thought about an external amplifier but keep asking myself if I really do need an external amp since the H2 apparently drives these just fine albeit without the capability of really rockin' the house when that is desired. BUT anymore it seems like I am drifting into more technical/classical guitar compositions etc which of course the Hugo2 is going to excel with. Now for driving speakers rather than headphones then yeah no doubt there is going to have to be some external amplification there for sure.

Nov 18, 2017 at 11:09 AM Post #8,928 of 22,467
H2 apparently drives these just fine albeit without the capability of really rockin' the house when that is desired. BUT anymore it seems like I am drifting into more technical/classical guitar compositions etc which of course the Hugo2 is going to excel with. Now for driving speakers rather than headphones then yeah no doubt there is going to have to be some external amplification there for sure.

Agree with you about the speaker driving part.On the other hand I am not sure what you mean about rockin' the house. The Hugo2 can easily drive those headphones to levels that will destroy your hearing in a matter of seconds. You want to play louder than that? What is it with this forum and extreme sound pressure levels? Once your hearing is damaged there is no way to repair it.

Nov 18, 2017 at 12:46 PM Post #8,929 of 22,467
What do someone of you mean by “the H2 can’t push Utopia to their full potential”? I don’t think that means they don’t get really loud because obviously H2 gets really loud when using the Utopia.

Nov 18, 2017 at 12:52 PM Post #8,930 of 22,467
I don't play my system any louder using gsx mk2, in relative individual components absolute terms. The benefits are better left to previewing that thread.

Nov 18, 2017 at 9:24 PM Post #8,931 of 22,467
The one time I tried turning up the volume very briefly just to see if the Hugo2 could maintain clear drive to the i4 under high volume it started sounding very broken up and horrible. So just immediately turned it back down and never again tried that. Just curious is all. I typically listen at relatively low volumes really. So it did not sound like to me that the H2 could realistically support driving signal to speakers or hard-to-drive full size cans. Thus seemingly not really suitable for hard rock/metal but as usual YMMV. Since I don't seem to be listening to those genres so much any more not a big deal. I do value my hearing and fairly diligent on not turning up the volume too much.

Nov 18, 2017 at 10:45 PM Post #8,932 of 22,467
What do someone of you mean by “the H2 can’t push Utopia to their full potential”? I don’t think that means they don’t get really loud because obviously H2 gets really loud when using the Utopia.

It's not that the H2 / Utopia isn't a brilliant combination; 'cause it is and really a worthy final solution for the Utopias. And then you hear them on the DAVE and hear just how much better the Utopias can sound. Both can play them to ear splitting SPL levels FWIW.

Nov 19, 2017 at 11:50 AM Post #8,933 of 22,467
Thinking about getting monitors to pair with H2 so wife can enjoy music without headphones. Don't want to go the whole amp routine and stay under $3-4K. Don't know if 3 way powered speakers like Focal Shape 65 vs unpowered efficient monitors like the Omega Super Alnico Monitors makes better SQ. Anyone have a system they really like? Don't need to blast volume but don't want clipping at moderate levels. Room is open and 18 x 15 feet. Plan to sit about 5-6 feet away from monitors.
Also need to know what cables to get from H2 to speakers.

Thanks for any help.

Nov 19, 2017 at 11:56 AM Post #8,934 of 22,467
Thinking about getting monitors to pair with H2 so wife can enjoy music without headphones. Don't want to go the whole amp routine and stay under $3-4K. Don't know if 3 way powered speakers like Focal Shape 65 vs unpowered efficient monitors like the Omega Super Alnico Monitors makes better SQ. Anyone have a system they really like? Don't need to blast volume but don't want clipping at moderate levels. Room is open and 18 x 15 feet. Plan to sit about 5-6 feet away from monitors.
Also need to know what cables to get from H2 to speakers.

Thanks for any help.

For 3-4k that are active speakers why not try a pair of KEF LS50 Wireless?

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2017 at 1:15 PM Post #8,935 of 22,467
For 3-4k that are active speakers why not try a pair of KEF LS50 Wireless?

esp now with black friday...i'm up here in canada and visions electronics
was offering me a pair of the kef ls 50 wls for cdn$2200...so am sure in the US you can
get them for an even sweeter deal, esp if you're bundling with a new laptop, tv or whatever.
i do hope that kef will come out with a floorstanding edition (but possibly that is in the next yr or so)

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2017 at 1:25 PM Post #8,937 of 22,467
My jaw continues to drop at DAVE and Hugo2 direct to Omega Super Alnico Monitors. One of our group has a pair of Compact Alnico Monitors on order, so we’ll be able to compare Omega SAMs and CAMs soon.

ESP in near field, the best audio reproduction I’ve ever heard. I had a big section on the experience in the Hugo2 review I just posted.

We’ll probably have another big listening session in the next week or two when tha CAMs and my Blu2 arrive. If you’re in the SoCal area and interested in this combo, PM me

Look forward to how tha CAMs work out compared to the SAMs.

It looks like you can custom order Omegas to replace the speaker post with a RCA input.

https://head-fi.org/threads/chord-electronics-dave.766517/page-503#post-13249206

So H2 <--> RCA2RCA <--> Omegas straightforward if one goes this route, can you use a 3.5mm to RCA cable from headphone output in parallel to subwoofer internal amp / subwoofer amp?

BTW, great review and thxs 4 intro to the Omegas.

Nov 19, 2017 at 1:40 PM Post #8,938 of 22,467
Louis makes all the Omegas to order, so is very open to customizing things. Might be interesting to get the speakers with both traditional banana connectors and RCA connector (I ended up making my own speaker cable with RCA on one end and banana on the other)

For our next listening session, I have 1/4" to RCA adapter and 3.5mm to RCA adapter ready so we can wire the H2 to the Omegas and sub simultaneously (I haven't eval'ed this config yet)

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2017 at 6:25 PM Post #8,939 of 22,467
can you use a 3.5mm to RCA cable from headphone output in parallel to subwoofer internal amp / subwoofer amp?
That's what I do, but setting the gain on my sub was a nightmare. It goes from off to loud really quick. But if I'm delicate I can get it right.
I also tried using speaker wire from my speakers to the subs high level in... but that created a ground loop that wouldn't let my sub go into standby. So I went back to 3.5mm to RCA for the sub.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back