Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Sep 1, 2017 at 2:54 PM Post #7,711 of 22,475
I love my DAVE, my TT before it was an inspiration, the Mojo I bought for a friend (late birthday present) on Saturday is fantastic, he's utterly gobsmacked and my second friend is now listening to the replacement Hugo 2 which I bought as a birthday present for him :gs1000smile:

Damn! I'm getting a Mojo for a very good friend's bthday... but a Hugo 2? That's some next level gifting there :)

Sep 1, 2017 at 4:22 PM Post #7,712 of 22,475
"The answers are found in the language used in posting; including passive-aggressive, and 2nd language English, linguistic commitment, etc." Pete this is very disappointing to to see this remark.

i had volume pot unresponsive, faulty 3.5mm headphone connector and finally usb input receiver failed. 3 units.

with the h2 money the idea of a mojo with sony z1r cans came about. any ideas? cheers mk. worried about ordering another h2 with issues.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2017 at 6:20 PM Post #7,713 of 22,475
I'm loving this. I'm new to the High end audiophile equipment and DACs.This thing is literally showing me new parts of my music collection which I didn't know were there.

I've also discovered ROON and taking the 14 day trial. Managed to get DSD to the HUGO 2 and I'm not sure if its placebo effect, but things sound cleaner to me.

Sep 1, 2017 at 6:46 PM Post #7,714 of 22,475
"The answers are found in the language used in posting; including passive-aggressive, and 2nd language English, linguistic commitment, etc." Pete this is very disappointing to to see this remark.

i had volume pot unresponsive, faulty 3.5mm headphone connector and finally usb input receiver failed. 3 units.

with the h2 money the idea of a mojo with sony z1r cans came about. any ideas? cheers mk. worried about ordering another h2 with issues.

Well, give the Sony Z1r cans a listen with a Mojo if you can. I think you might get a sound that you can live with and enjoy. I find the presentation of Mojo very musical and relaxing.

You have every right to post your experiences here. In case anyone thinks there is "something sinister going on", then I suggest you send the name of your dealer to Rob. He can then contact your dealer to verify that you have in fact had 3 defective units.

To Rob, thank you for quoting my post. The way you and Chord have kept abreast of this issue is impressive. Let me however suggest that dealers may have a more complete picture of the failure rate than the "production director".

Sep 1, 2017 at 10:20 PM Post #7,715 of 22,475
I'm loving this. I'm new to the High end audiophile equipment and DACs.This thing is literally showing me new parts of my music collection which I didn't know were there.

I've also discovered ROON and taking the 14 day trial. Managed to get DSD to the HUGO 2 and I'm not sure if its placebo effect, but things sound cleaner to me.

what headphones new guy?

Sep 1, 2017 at 10:47 PM Post #7,716 of 22,475
hey hooster dealer knows it all.

Sep 2, 2017 at 12:06 AM Post #7,717 of 22,475
what headphones new guy?
HD800s + HDVD800 amp. Hugo 2 as a preamp. For portable use, I'm using the Shure 846. Still getting the hang of describing songs but I'm loving the obvious clear changes the Hugo 2 is giving me over a normal DAC or even the one on HDVD800.

I was researching portable amps for travel as my work requires me to travel and stay in certain centres for a few days at a time. I nearly bought the Woo WA8 but the battery put me off it and reading people's impressions of the Hugo 2, it was an easy decision. Now I can bring my work and my music in my back pack.

I've also just paid for a deposit for Stax-Sr009/BHSE combo. Can't wait to pair that with the Hugo 2....I'll be in sonic heaven then.

Sep 2, 2017 at 5:04 AM Post #7,719 of 22,475
IMG_9065.JPG
IMG_9067.JPG
Here you go. It's a pretty basic setup. I've always known that the HDVD800 was a perfect amp for the HD800S except for the DAC which was average. I've had the amp for years and my ears and brain are used to it.

Now with the Hugo 2, my senses have to adapt to new sounds!

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2017 at 5:26 AM Post #7,720 of 22,475
HDVD 800 was designed for HD 800. This includes an output impedance that adds some prominence to mid-bass, which means they're a "matched pair". It's thought of as balancing out the somewhat "bass light" sound of the native HD 800.

HD 800 S has been designed with some mid-bass prominence of its own, so that it doesn't need to be connected to HDVD 800 to get that effect.

So you might be getting a doubled-up effect when you connect HD 800 S to HDVD 800.

In which case, connecting HD 800 S to Hugo 2 directly might sound a bit disappointing in the bass. I think you should try it anyway, just to hear what you think. Don't do an A/B, just run direct off Hugo 2 for a few days. This isn't so much about getting used to "less bass" with Hugo 2 as hearing the subtleties of musicality. Moodiness, if you like.

Now playing: Gourds - All the Labour

Sep 2, 2017 at 6:41 AM Post #7,721 of 22,475
Regarding the harshness (and I am sure I will get flamed for being too simplistic), have you tried turning the H2 volume down? I am using it with oppo pm1s and optical from a mac mini with puremusic/itunes. I have also used it with the USB connection from same. In both cases, I listened with the volume on dark blue with no distortion (or so I thought). I too thought the sound was harsh and I got listening fatigue. However (and I saw this in another post on this thread), I turned the volume down to upper yellow/green. No harshness, nice smooth sound, no listening fatigue and (to my ears) no loss of detail or (more importantly), bass. Let the flaming begin...

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2017 at 6:52 AM Post #7,722 of 22,475
FACT: I received my first unit with a loose screw inside the case. Other than that it sounded great. I was able to use it for a few weeks and really got used to the feel, including the volume control, which had a nice fluid/smooth feel to it. It would not however accept my interconnects despite the fact that the OD of my RCAs were under the 13mm ID (per specs). I did not have calipers to get accurate measurement.

FACT: The second unit had greasy smudge on the inside of the viewing glass, defects in the black anodizing (which was not present on the first unit). The volume control was noticeably different, much more resistance. There was so much resistance that I was nervous something was going to break when I adjusted the volume. Something just didn't feel right. My interconnects fit without issue on the second unit. Again, other than that it sounded great.

FACT: I'm a Chord fanboy through and through, which is why I'm so disappointed right now.

To all those who received defect-free devices, fantastic! I'm not ragging on Chord, but after two defective units, its pretty hard not to lose faith. Put yourself in our shoes. Minimizing the issues the few of us (honest and true) have noted here is insulting, in particular to those of us who have dealt with more than one defective unit. The suggestion made by some, that perhaps there are some of us who are purposefully trying to tarnish the Chord name is offensive. Your suggestion that reports are perhaps JUST unlucky or JUST "goldfish bowl problems," is particularly insulting to those of us who work in a production environment, spend time on a shop floor and deal with issues that escape the notice of rigid quality control systems every day. Shop failure rates and throughput should not be the gauge Chord uses to measure customer satisfaction. My guess is that your production manager has zero insight into the issues your vendors are trying to respond to. I can say that, because I'm surrounded by production managers who are too busy trying to cram a moose through a keyhole to know what's happening anywhere downstream. The responses I've received on the issues I've had with the two devices I've received from Chord, from the dealer (who shared some info with me that they asked me not to share in any public forum), and now from your production manager (who claims there is no problem) suggest you're more interested in deflecting the issues a few of us have reported rather than giving us the benefit of the doubt, acknowledging our concerns and taking steps to keep Chord fanboys as Chord fanboys for years to come.

PS. I've decided not to cancel my order, I'm going to wait for my third Hugo2 to arrive. Maybe third times a charm?
We at chord have been very surprised at the fact that you'd had two units with problems from the same retailer this is very unusual? The first with a loose screw inside rattling around it's possible of course as the units are hand assembled and one may have been caught up and then subsequently shaken loos but the second unit with the smudge on the glass is likely to have definitely occurred post production. My reasons for thinking this are two fold. At first I'd though all boxes had holographic seals but I was advised the first batch didn't so it's possible that some one may have opened the box and units case to look inside. And secondly the unit's assemblers always ware gloves. This is to avoid lense finger smudges and the units are all visually inspected for these issues prior to shipping I'm told. I understand your annoyance we have been responsive and in regular contact with you by PM and are genuinely been trying to assist you we can hold our hands up for the loose screw but I'm less inclined to for the smudge glass on a unit that also had a dink on the case as this unit would simply not have got through our QC. So yes you've had a problem unit which may have been tampered with and we are as you know endvouring to get a unit to you as fast as is possible betting in mind the USA distribution vacation delay.

Sep 2, 2017 at 7:44 AM Post #7,723 of 22,475
"Always look on the bright side of life". In spite of reported QC problems HUGO2 is definitely very much still on my to audition list. But seeing in Rob's justly concerned post above, that he has just bought a new pair of humble "little bargain speakers".Well I just could not resist so here is a hint of humble little contenders for his new B&W 803Ds.
The very well dressed gentleman,especially note his highgrade, very expensive italian leather footwear, standing proud between these two little bookshelf speakers, is none other than the undersigned himself.
Joking aside,Rob and anybody else who might happen to do the rounds at the Adelphi in Singapore do lend them an ear.
They are quite special.
The bass SLAM from these babies might even qualify on the Richter scale.
In that respect definitely in the most realistic SQ category of any speaker I have ever auditioned.
Price? Peanuts, only 149K €.My leather shoes?
I think I paid 10SGD for those in Little India.
The speaker price,by the way, includes both home delivery and setup anywhere in the world.
How about that for a bargain?
Weight a mere 300-500kg or so each.
I can't remember the exact weight to be honest.
Their humble name?
MAAT ZIGMA.
Cheers Christer
Certainly different to the architecture of most peoples domestic speakers, with bass drivers low down, then midrange driver(s) above them, then treble driver at head height (sitting down).
The pictured speakers have midrange and treble drivers at the same height, but bass drivers at both knee and head (standing up) height, which presumably affect how the listener experiences the sound.
Yet more proof that there is no one way to design a pair of speakers.

Sep 2, 2017 at 7:59 AM Post #7,724 of 22,475
We at chord have been very surprised at the fact that you'd had two units with problems from the same retailer this is very unusual? The first with a loose screw inside rattling around it's possible of course as the units are hand assembled and one may have been caught up and then subsequently shaken loos but the second unit with the smudge on the glass is likely to have definitely occurred post production. My reasons for thinking this are two fold. At first I'd though all boxes had holographic seals but I was advised the first batch didn't so it's possible that some one may have opened the box and units case to look inside. And secondly the unit's assemblers always ware gloves. This is to avoid lense finger smudges and the units are all visually inspected for these issues prior to shipping I'm told. I understand your annoyance we have been responsive and in regular contact with you by PM and are genuinely been trying to assist you we can hold our hands up for the loose screw but I'm less inclined to for the smudge glass on a unit that also had a dink on the case as this unit would simply not have got through our QC. So yes you've had a problem unit which may have been tampered with and we are as you know endvouring to get a unit to you as fast as is possible betting in mind the USA distribution vacation delay.

Just for clarification. The smudge was on the inside on the viewing glass. Would need to crack until open to get to it. The pictures I sent clearly show this. If it had been on the outside, I would've wiped it off. Both boxes were sealed from the factory. No evidence these units were touched when sealed up at the factory. But, thanks for your response. The dealer I've been working with if great by the way, they are in no way responsible for my concerns.

Sep 2, 2017 at 8:18 AM Post #7,725 of 22,475

Why would it disappoint you?

The truth is in the language. It is always in the language whether truthful or deceptive, it is always there, including those who celebrate, not report, damaged units.

I can see why this might disappoint some posters, but why you?

Consider what it must take to push the engineer to post his doubt about the postings. Did that post disappoint you, personally? It should not have, nor should have mine.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back