Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Sep 2, 2017 at 8:26 AM Post #7,726 of 22,467
Eating-Popcorn-GIF-Image-for-Whatsapp-and-Facebook-3.gif

Sep 2, 2017 at 8:28 AM Post #7,727 of 22,467
Just for clarification. The smudge was on the inside on the viewing glass. Would need to crack until open to get to it. The pictures I sent clearly show this. If it had been on the outside, I would've wiped it off. Both boxes were sealed from the factory. No evidence these units were touched when sealed up at the factory. But, thanks for your response. The dealer I've been working with if great by the way, they are in no way responsible for my concerns.

To be fair John Franks suspected that your unit with the fingerprint on the inside of the glass has been opened, somewhere between leaving the production line and your doorstep. But I understand that your unit had an intact seal on the box, correct?

All I can say is that I whish you more luck with your incoming unit.

Cheers

Sep 2, 2017 at 8:33 AM Post #7,728 of 22,467
To be fair John Franks suspected that your unit with the fingerprint on the inside of the glass has been opened, somewhere between leaving the production line and your doorstep. But I understand that your unit had an intact seal on the box, correct?

All I can say is that I whish you more luck with your incoming unit.

Cheers

Some have attempted to suggest conspiracy ideas about Chord and can barely contain (or conceal) their zeal. Some use the disingenuous passive-aggressive to foster insult to the company, for whatever personal reasons and motivations they possess.

Others have reliably reported an issue.

Not only have we found Chord Electronics products to be superb, but their customer service superb, including taking care of any and everything.

The engineer's sharing of technology is most unexpected and thrilling.

Chord will make right whatever has gone wrong in the small number of units.
My guess is that all who have purchased from them have not had concerns about them standing behind their products.

I say this as loving H2, and awaiting Poly

Sep 2, 2017 at 8:38 AM Post #7,729 of 22,467
@Rob Watts,

As per my understanding, Chord Mojo and Hugo2 are having same:
* USB HD decoder (ATSAM3U1C microcontroller)
* FPGA Artix XC7A15T.

If I am remembering well Mojo is using 44 out 45 FPGA DSP cores working in parallel for consumption/power dissipation reasons?

With Hugo 2, you are achieving much more with apparently same FPGA ( but different coding). Can we, at least partially, relate the improvements to better batteries and a bigger casing?

I am not forgetting the numerous other improvements components, output power, DC servo, etc implemented in Hugo2.
I was only having the wrong feeling that with Mojo we were reaching the FPGA's limit.

Thanks.
B.R.

Sep 2, 2017 at 8:56 AM Post #7,730 of 22,467
Some have attempted to suggest conspiracy ideas about Chord and can barely contain (or conceal) their zeal. Some use the disingenuous passive-aggressive to foster insult to the company, for whatever personal reasons and motivations they possess.

Preach on Peter.

Sep 2, 2017 at 8:58 AM Post #7,731 of 22,467
@Rob Watts,

As per my understanding, Chord Mojo and Hugo2 are having same:
* USB HD decoder (ATSAM3U1C microcontroller)
* FPGA Artix XC7A15T.

If I am remembering well Mojo is using 44 out 45 FPGA DSP cores working in parallel for consumption/power dissipation reasons?

With Hugo 2, you are achieving much more with apparently same FPGA ( but different coding). Can we, at least partially, relate the improvements to better batteries and a bigger casing?

I am not forgetting the numerous other improvements components, output power, DC servo, etc implemented in Hugo2.
I was only having the wrong feeling that with Mojo we were reaching the FPGA's limit.

Thanks.
B.R.
The bigger casing has an impact, because Mojo had to run the cores at approx half speed, to prevent generating too much heat.
The bigger case of Hugo 2, giving more room to dissipate heat, presumably means that the cores can be run at full speed.

Sep 2, 2017 at 9:08 AM Post #7,732 of 22,467
Some have attempted to suggest conspiracy ideas about Chord and can barely contain (or conceal) their zeal.

Yeah I remember someone suspected that there are counterfeit H2s around... Which is absolutw BS when you think about it... So it's understandable that one could suspect this as the act of an agent provocateur, then again it may have been a post without thinking twice :wink:

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2017 at 9:20 AM Post #7,733 of 22,467
Certainly different to the architecture of most peoples domestic speakers, with bass drivers low down, then midrange driver(s) above them, then treble driver at head height (sitting down).
The pictured speakers have midrange and treble drivers at the same height, but bass drivers at both knee and head (standing up) height, which presumably affect how the listener experiences the sound.
Yet more proof that there is no one way to design a pair of speakers.

Hello,miketlse, sorry this will mainly be OT.
Yes I too was indeed baffled when I first saw these beasts.
My first thought was how on earth can elements positioned "all over the place" deliver anything but a big incoherent sound? The reason I chose these in my joke comparing them to the B&W 803Ds was that Rob also mentioned both quality and quantity in his post.
The 803Ds and basically all other current speakers from B&W are both very transparent and of very high quality indeed. There is a very good reason they are used in many mastering rooms . Rob has definiteIy made a good choice. For those who possibly misunderstood my post. I was not in any way trying to make fun of either Rob's choice or B&W. If anything, I constantly keep an eye on the second hand market and would also like a pair of 803Ds in my listening room. The only thing I hold against them is that like most normal sized box speakers they force me to sit down when listening.With the Zigmas I was basically only expecting a "quantity change" ie much bigger sound, than from my current references which are electrostatic speakers. But to my surprise and admittedly with the limited demo material I could listen to I was actually quite impressed by these babies also in the" quality department".
Next time I will bring some listening material of my own. I have promised the dealer some copies of discs I was involved in and, still have some promo copies of.
And I am reasonably sure they will still be there when I get to Singapore in 6 weeks.
Another giant speaker system in similar price territory, the Gryphon Pendragon has been set up for at least three years now in one shop there.
Via those babies I heard the most lifelike reproduction of an old classic demo disc from the days of LPs which I heard live, yes I am that old,
Cantate Domine.Now available as hi res download
There are indeed many ways to design a speaker.
Here is another contender with SOTA credentials to some, but which so far has not impressed me an old lover of BIG Horn Speakers.
The only way I have heard these little toys are connected to a 9 watts per channel tube amp that was so hissy and noisy you could hear it metres away.
Here we go again in the category of unobtainable for most ,
_MG_4053.jpg
little toys for little boys.
I'll spare you my dummyhead this time. Avantgarde Trio.
Cheers Christer

Sep 2, 2017 at 9:49 AM Post #7,734 of 22,467
Every now and again, I explore whether there are any DIY speaker designs, that could be easily built, but still challenge the performance of some of the unobtanium speakers.
Pinterest is full of pictures and diagrams of speakers, and some do look both attractive and possible to build - but always at the back of my mind is the question of whether I am enthusiastic enough to spend months building speakers, that may end up as attractive conversation starters, but performance wise may sound underwhelming.
So far my enthusiasm is not at a high enough level, but could become interested by a design that was small enough to be driven directly by Hugo 2 (or who knows what in the future).

https://fr.pinterest.com/jakub2974/...7611&utm_source=31&utm_term=1&utm_medium=2004
https://fr.pinterest.com/mrajtmajer...3512&utm_source=31&utm_term=8&utm_medium=2004

Sep 2, 2017 at 10:00 AM Post #7,735 of 22,467
Re: Speakers
I know this has be covered before, but I am seeking some recommendations from H2 owners for this Fall's purchase.

Using MacBook Pro, Audirvana Plus and want speakers that will allow me to enjoy H2 as I do now with Beyer T1 and T8ie, reaching similar levels of quality.

It is not a large room.
Budget is limited but...I want to do the H2 justice. Think Beyerdynamic T1.2 as reference point for sound quality, detail, etc. Classical, Rock, Pop, Acoustic etc.

*What speakers do you recommend?

and...Do I need anything else?

Thanks.

Sep 2, 2017 at 10:04 AM Post #7,736 of 22,467
@miketlse
For nearfield listening (8') I have a spectacular diy design using voxativ af-2.6 drivers. An ordinary looking rear ported design but with some horn+transmission line benefits. Alas, it needs some EQ to boost lows and sounds best with specific amps ...in my case a ZOTL40/microZOTL. I'd compare them to Martens and Magico's for musicality...and the are about 98dB so maybe enough to be lit by a 1watt Hugo2. I find out next week with a demo. If it's a success, I'd see selling my amp and preamp and springing for a DAVE to get 2watts.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2017 at 10:29 AM Post #7,737 of 22,467
@miketlse
For nearfield listening (8') I have a spectacular diy design using voxativ af-2.6 drivers. An ordinary looking rear ported design but with some horn+transmission line benefits. Alas, it needs some EQ to boost lows and sounds best with specific amps ...in my case a ZOTL40/microZOTL. I'd compare them to Martens and Magico's for musicality...and the are about 98dB so maybe enough to be lit by a 1watt Hugo2. I find out next week with a demo. If it's a success, I'd see selling my amp and preamp and springing for a DAVE to get 2watts.
It will be interesting to hear how you get on with the demo.

Sep 2, 2017 at 10:48 AM Post #7,739 of 22,467
@miketlse

Hey there,

Interesting to hear about your DIY Voxativ speakers.
I am pretty much zeroed in on the Voxativ ac-1.6 driver for an Onken enclosure.
Maybe this is something for you as well @Peter Hyatt.
I hope to start the build in a few weeks.

Interestingly the Voxativ support suggested a Micro ZOTL as amp. Did you try your Voxativ directly driven by the Mico ZOTL? Since it delivers 1 Watt into 4 Ohm, H2 should be better suited to drive them.
The ac 1.6 is even higher rated at about 100 dB, so my hopes are high it will work out.

Don't know if you ever heard the pureaudioproject trio 15 Voxativ, but those are supposed to be giant killers for around 6K (for you americans). I am going to listen to them, before I start my project.

Pureaudioproject quite recently upped the ante and introduced the Quintet 15 series, where you get 4 15 inch custom woofers, per speaker... So if you get across these bad boys, please share your pics and impressions.

Concerning DAVE I am not sure if it delivers even more than 2 watt into 8 Ohm. I think the power output isn't listed for 8 Ohm loads...

Cheers

Sep 2, 2017 at 10:49 AM Post #7,740 of 22,467
Hello
I am a little concerned by these failures, so it is possible to send direct to chord?
Since apparently buy hugo2 outside my country, and send it direct to the seller in the usa so I sent it to U.K., is a waste of time.
And other questions:
-that such synergy with t1.gen2? Do you have enough power?

Best regards

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back