Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Sep 3, 2017 at 5:21 AM Post #7,756 of 22,475
So I thought I'd share my little project, still in progress. I've only assembled it. I'm still waiting for delivery of a Raspberry Pi 3 board. It has the ARMv8 CPU which is supported by Roon Bridge. (My Pi is gen 1, with a CPU that is unsupported by Roon Bridge.) We'll be using the DietPi distro as a base.

The 500 GB Samsung T3 drive could hold some music if I figure out how to get MPD to coexist nicely on there... but I might end up removing it and just using Roon, alone.

The Anker 20000mAh will power the Pi and -- why not -- the Hugo 2, as well. I have a usb WIFI adapter with antenna to make sure I can reach the access point. A USB switch allows me to toggle power for the Pi.

Whenever the Poly-like add-on for the Hugo 2 becomes available, this should become less useful, but we'll leave evaluating that to whenever it is actually an option.

But that is the plan. It's a transportable system to feed the Hugo 2 a nice USB signal. When I get it all going in the next week or so, I'll report back how it goes.

I like it! I think you'll be quiet interested in one of the units we're expecting to be launching at the CES in Las Vegas in January next year.

Sep 3, 2017 at 5:28 AM Post #7,757 of 22,475
After charging overnight, my Hugo 2 lasts for literally 3 hours (and that's being generous. More like 2.5 really)

Is the entire product defective, or just my unit?
I'm assuming you charged the unit with it switched off? When the unit is fully charged and it is switched back on. After the power up colour cycles what colour is the power switch show?

Sep 3, 2017 at 5:36 AM Post #7,758 of 22,475
So I thought I'd share my little project, still in progress. I've only assembled it. I'm still waiting for delivery of a Raspberry Pi 3 board. It has the ARMv8 CPU which is supported by Roon Bridge. (My Pi is gen 1, with a CPU that is unsupported by Roon Bridge.) We'll be using the DietPi distro as a base.

The 500 GB Samsung T3 drive could hold some music if I figure out how to get MPD to coexist nicely on there... but I might end up removing it and just using Roon, alone.

The Anker 20000mAh will power the Pi and -- why not -- the Hugo 2, as well. I have a usb WIFI adapter with antenna to make sure I can reach the access point. A USB switch allows me to toggle power for the Pi.

Whenever the Poly-like add-on for the Hugo 2 becomes available, this should become less useful, but we'll leave evaluating that to whenever it is actually an option.

But that is the plan. It's a transportable system to feed the Hugo 2 a nice USB signal. When I get it all going in the next week or so, I'll report back how it goes.

Hmm?
My advice if you are planning to take this thing in a backpack or worse, around your waist, at an international airport control. Make sure you turn up well ahead of your scheduled departure time.
Allow a bit more than the standard 2-3 hours before "just in case" they mistake "your case" too for "something more sinister".
Cheers Christer

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2017 at 5:39 AM Post #7,759 of 22,475
I've worked in the tech industry for 20 years myself and know engineers that have spent more on cables than I ever would. There are people from all professions and backgrounds on both sides of this topic. I'm not trying to talk anyone into agreeing with my view. If cables can possibly help or hurt a set up I'll error on the side of over spending for pieces of mind and the enjoyment of owning a high quality set up with high quality components and accessories. Sound is the number one priority but I also enjoy the entire experience around it.

Let me also add, that I find it funny that most people on this thread have dropped $2,300 on a DAC and $X on a pair of high end headphones when 98% of the world is perfectly content with their Apple ear buds and the "crazy" among them spring for a pair of Beats. Why should any one care if others choose to drop a couple hundred extra dollars on cables just to round out the system.

But of course we hear all the time of accountants that have fallen for internet scams to get them to hand over money for non existent get rich quick schemes so tales of engineers buying expensive so called exotic cables doesn't actually prove anything. (Ha, my iPad was desperate to autocorrect that to erotic cables).

Sep 3, 2017 at 7:39 AM Post #7,760 of 22,475
But of course we hear all the time of accountants that have fallen for internet scams to get them to hand over money for non existent get rich quick schemes so tales of engineers buying expensive so called exotic cables doesn't actually prove anything. (Ha, my iPad was desperate to autocorrect that to erotic cables).

But that was precisely EndGameSearch's point. He replied to another poster who claimed to know electrical engineers calling the whole usb thing a sham, and so EGS also pulled that card out on the other side to prove that it doesnt mean anything as there isn't an established scientific consensus. Besides, he wasn't looking to debate anyone beating on the same old dead horse, he was simply looking for cable recommendations.

Sep 3, 2017 at 9:04 AM Post #7,761 of 22,475
to be honest all of my efforts and time and money are for a major headphone upgrade later this year. mr speakers aeon or focal elear. the forest cable is doing its job i've forgotten it.

its not black paint. the black is much smarter than silver i have it. nothing will chip off lol. the black is anodised aluminium too.
Seems to be too good to be true - Moon Audio are doing a special offer on the Elear, if you trade in your old headphones.
I wonder if any EU dealers will have similar offers.

Sep 3, 2017 at 10:02 AM Post #7,762 of 22,475
Seems to be too good to be true - Moon Audio are doing a special offer on the Elear, if you trade in your old headphones.
I wonder if any EU dealers will have similar offers.
It looks like it might be a Focal deal. I've seen a couple of other distributors offer it as well.

Sep 3, 2017 at 10:17 AM Post #7,763 of 22,475
It looks like it might be a Focal deal. I've seen a couple of other distributors offer it as well.
Thanks - I had been thinking about some Elear, to fill the only gap in my selection of headphones. The RSP of €999 is too high to make this an urgent itch to be scratched, but if they are available at €699 things become more interesting.

Sep 3, 2017 at 11:39 AM Post #7,765 of 22,475
Griffin usb c to USB b micro (USB-if certified) cable and you're done. Run laptop on batteries with nothing connected to it from mains (such as Ethernet cable) for best sq. simple. No ISO regen or audiophillio necessary. The key is bit perfect data and mains isolated (low noise) source. At the end of the day you are just sending a stream of 1 or zero with as little noise or interference as possible. No need for anything more sophisticated

Funny I tried that very same suggestion earlier today w my power hungry laptop w the latest bells and whistles but for the life of me couldnt tell the difference with the power cord on/off. It's properly repasted so it runs fairly cool at idle (27-30C) w fans running about 1500rpm (HWInfo manual fan setttings) while using Roon bit perfect. The setup was Roon > QED usb reference > Iso Regen/LPS-1 > Hugo 2 > LCDi4. I didn't try it wo the IR/LPS-1 so perhaps that combo acted as a noise firewall for the Hugo 2. What I'm certain of is that the Jitterbug did make a difference to my power plugged laptop wo the IR/LPS-1 combo... even w the Hugo 2.

Just from a science standpoint it shouldn't make a difference. If I bought a USB cable I would be willing to pay more so that the connectors are strong and won't wear out. USB reclocking is also a real thing. But once you do the reclocking the cable "quality" should no longer matter. More people in this hobby need to blind test... The placebo effect is incredibly powerful.

Yes, USB reclocking is a real thing. I just got the ISO Regen a couple of days ago and the difference was immediately obvious. No need for burn in whatsoever. It was hard to believe the Hugo 2 could sound better but it simply did... much more of a difference than say my Lionheart LCDi4 cable, or any other USB cable..

In my experience, different USB cables did make a difference at the Iso Regen output end. I tried it w the Lush usb cable, QED usb, and the supplied USPCB adapter... subtle differences but the Lush and USPCB are my favorites. Also, the USPCB at $35 is an unbeatable value.

Without the ISO Regen, there's a small difference between the Lush cable and the supplied Hugo 2 usb cable but it's there. The Lush had a noticeably tighter bass w less bloom... it was especially obvious w deep house/techno tracks which I hardly ever listen to in my leisure time but are quite useful for deep bass comparisons. For rock (glam/punk/etc), the difference in guitar timbre was less noticeable but still there. Mainly what I noticed was that half of my tracks w the Lush was a little more effortless, a little less congested... but certainly not a night and day difference. For techno tracks, I'm confident enough to do a blind test bc the bass definition is so easy to tell.

With the USPCB adapter at the ISO Regen end > Hugo 2, I can hear more immediacy and better separation in the midrange and lower treble vs no ISO Regen. Also, I couldnt really tell much of a difference w the galvanic isolation feature turned off on the ISO Regen... I dont know if the LPS-1 had anything to do w it... just as I couldnt tell any difference between the ASIO/WASAPI drivers on Roon. I think the Hugo 2 must be doing smth really right in that regard...

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2017 at 12:20 PM Post #7,766 of 22,475
Excellent speakers there and I second your recommendation. ATC are a clear cut above B&W in my opinion. They will do much more than give B&W speakers a run for their money.

Interesting to hear, I have not auditioned any ATC speakers so I can't comment on how they compare to the B&W or any other speakers for that matter. Regarding my comments earlier, on B&W 803D3 I was assuming Rob bought the new 803D D3?

If on the other hand he bought the predecessor 803D,well,he still bought a nice pair of speakers.But not as good imho as the new B&Ws which from the admittedly little exposure I have had to them so far, still are in a different class than the earlier 803s.
For one thing, the earlier 803D was not really digging deep enough in the bass as I remember them.
They started going down in level already around 48-50hz which was a problem in some pro recording /mastering conditions where some masterings done via 803D were compensating eg raising bass levels which sounded unnatural on speakers with deeper/flatter bass response. In some cases I know of ,some deep bass rumble was not heard by the mastering engineer. But heard clearly by people like me, with speakers that dug deeper than the 803s used in the mastering room.
As far as the latest B&Ws as good as they are,personally I still find electrostatic speakers to be the best I have heard.
They deliver the most believable soundstage, and utmost transparency,and the lowest distortion. And at their best no crossover filters needed at all, or at least ony one from 22-24khz and down to in some cases 250hz or lower,before upper bass kicks in either with a large bass stator or a dynamic one as with most ML speakers. And all this combined with best attack and transient response imo.
There is also a reason why some very SQ conscious labels monitor via electrostatic headphones.
I know one recording /mastering engineer who masters projects via 5 large full range electrostatic speakers.
Cost no object, I would probably go for either MLs R15A or even their flagship Neolith.
Since I listen 99% to acoustic music, and mainly large scale classical I want both "quantity and quality" served in a good combination.
A symphony orchestra is BIG and I want it to sound big even via speakers.

Sep 3, 2017 at 12:25 PM Post #7,767 of 22,475
regarding USB cables I would like to share my experience. few days back I was listening to mojo during evening walk . Redmi S1 android was source and beyerdynamic dt880 600 ohm were the headphones. I tried a 1.5m long cheap USB charging cables with two ferrite cores . the sound was congested and kind of devoid of coherence . after some time I replaced the cable with my regular 6 inch short usb cable with two ferrite cores. the sound i got the short cable was much more fluid and coherent. similarly whenever I use oyaide pcocc A class usb cable with pc , the sound is yet more fluid and smooth. even the change of asio driver from old to new changed the sound with that same bit perfect stream.

Sep 3, 2017 at 1:02 PM Post #7,768 of 22,475
I get that this hobby represents a relatively small world wide user group, but there are no shortage of companies selling high end USB cables ranging from $20 - $1,000+ dollars out there. It boggles my mind that I can not find a source to meet my even smaller niche needs, a macbook with only USB-C ports. From a recommendation on this thread I ordered a usb-c to usb micro cable from Forza AudoWorks. After placing the order on 8/8 I received it yesterday and have plugged in and providing a clean connection between my Mac and Mojo right now, so no complaints.

I decided to stick with the Hugo and continue the LONG WAIT (how's that for passive aggressive?) for the replacement unit. When it arrives I plan to add an ISO regen/Audiophilleo/or other unit to the chain and will need a USB-C to USB-A cable/adapter to make that connection. Has anyone found any high quality USB-C cables or adapters? Amazon is flush with low dollar options including an adapter from Apple. I own multiple of versions in various form factors but none of them are high quality relative to the tech used in the high end cables. As ludicrous as it probably to the rest of the world to spend hundreds/thousands on cables, I find it just as ludicrous to spend all of this money and then make the final connection with a $20 adapter that cost $1 to make.

Any thoughts? I'll try Forza again but can not believe there isn't some industrious guy/gal out there capitalizing on this open slot in our niche market. I've tried every place I can think of. Audioquest seems to be the only big name brand with an adapter and it's the same adapter sold on Amazon for $10 rebranded and sold for $20 (or appears to be so).
Always remember that Chord recommend not to plug adapters into the USB sockets of their dacs, because if you accidently knock the adaptor, it is an easy way to lever/loosen the USB socket from the circuit board. It is probably good to follow this advice for other equipment as well.

Sep 3, 2017 at 1:12 PM Post #7,769 of 22,475
regarding USB cables I would like to share my experience. few days back I was listening to mojo during evening walk . Redmi S1 android was source and beyerdynamic dt880 600 ohm were the headphones. I tried a 1.5m long cheap USB charging cables with two ferrite cores . the sound was congested and kind of devoid of coherence . after some time I replaced the cable with my regular 6 inch short usb cable with two ferrite cores. the sound i got the short cable was much more fluid and coherent. similarly whenever I use oyaide pcocc A class usb cable with pc , the sound is yet more fluid and smooth. even the change of asio driver from old to new changed the sound with that same bit perfect stream.
It is possible that that could be a decrease in data loss with distance I suppose. If it really makes that much of a difference it's really time to start making clock independent data transmissions standards for audio, as we have the bandwidth to do it now...

Sep 3, 2017 at 1:20 PM Post #7,770 of 22,475
It is possible that that could be a decrease in data loss with distance I suppose. If it really makes that much of a difference it's really time to start making clock independent data transmissions standards for audio, as we have the bandwidth to do it now...

Unlikely that there is any data loss issue. If there is data loss then one gets static and not different sounding music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back