Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Jul 16, 2017 at 1:02 AM Post #5,881 of 22,475
the H2 is a perfect balance between form and function in my opinion. it is fun to use and great fun to listen to. everything is colour coded and took me 5 minutes to comprehend the relative controls and their associated functions.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2017 at 1:41 AM Post #5,882 of 22,475
Well, if you want a simpler version, you have the Mojo...

I don't think removing features would make it cheaper. It's primarily software. If anything, with more features added, unless I'm mistaken, the price has gone down a bit compared to the older one.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2017 at 1:42 AM Post #5,883 of 22,475
The Hugo 2 in the e-earphone Portable Festival this weekend in Tokyo. Tried it with the FitEar Titan :-

Snapseed.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2017 at 2:05 AM Post #5,884 of 22,475
so its the fpga and the software code embedded on it which elevates the price of H2?

Jul 16, 2017 at 2:52 AM Post #5,886 of 22,475
I told you guys Apt-X with Hugo 2 sounds fantastic! Glad others are enjoying it as much as I am.

The only thing that concerns me is when streaming music from the native Tidal app the data is technically not bit-perfect since android upsamples all audio to 192khz. Bluetooth limits the file size to 44khz so are the bits being truncated before making their way to Hugo 2?

And yes I know I could use UAPP and send the data bit perfectly via apt x but Tidal's native app gives me better music recommendations.

@Rob Watts Would appreciate your input on this.
Should be great if aptx HD could be added. ..I think it could be done with a simple software upgrade....guess no different hardware is needed
Rob am I wrong?

Jul 16, 2017 at 4:39 AM Post #5,888 of 22,475
Well, if you want a simpler version, you have the Mojo...

I don't think removing features would make it cheaper. It's primarily software. If anything, with more features added, unless I'm mistaken, the price has gone down a bit compared to the older one.

In terms of simplicity, I am referring to the fact that it has an elaborate/expensive case and that is is controlled by colored balls rather than the traditional knobs and switches. I can't really criticize it much though, it seems to be a great success and that is what counts. Congratulations, and good job, Chord. Keep up the good work. I can't wait to see what Chord comes up with next.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2017 at 5:37 AM Post #5,889 of 22,475
The Hugo 2 in the e-earphone Portable Festival this weekend in Tokyo. Tried it with the FitEar Titan :-

Are you using an aftermarket cable for the Titans?

Jul 16, 2017 at 6:26 AM Post #5,891 of 22,475
A button press for turning off or dim the lights to save battery would be nice. Or maybe it dosent draw much power.

On technical specification aspects it seem superior to the hugo1 but reading your listening impressions the sound improvements seems less.

Anyway might be posted before but found this tecnical informative. I recomend to read all the info on the blue screen.

Maybe whatch this first

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2017 at 6:47 AM Post #5,892 of 22,475
A button press for turning off or dim the lights to save battery would be nice. Or maybe it dosent draw much power.

On technical specification aspects it seem superior to the hugo1 but reading your listening impressions the sound improvements seems less.

Anyway might be posted before but found this tecnical informative. I recomend to read all the info on the blue screen.

Maybe whatch this first

Hugo 2 has a dim function

Jul 16, 2017 at 6:51 AM Post #5,893 of 22,475

Those tiny LED lights use an insignificant amount of juice. :)

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2017 at 7:07 AM Post #5,894 of 22,475
In terms of simplicity, I am referring to the fact that it has an elaborate/expensive case and that is is controlled by colored balls rather than the traditional knobs and switches. I can't really criticize it much though, it seems to be a great success and that is what counts. Congratulations, and good job, Chord. Keep up the good work. I can't wait to see what Chord comes up with next.
I don't think you understand complexity in terms of product design.
  • The case consists of only two pieces, the top and the bottom - it is already simple, because it is difficult to achieve better part count reduction
  • coloured balls rather than knobs and switches - the coloured balls (or alternatively knobs), both control switches to achieve a certain control functionality. The only way to reduce part count, and achieve physical simplicity, is to use a touch screen which contains no moving parts.
  • The software is complex, but contains no moving parts, so cannot cause any physical wear and tear

Jul 16, 2017 at 7:23 AM Post #5,895 of 22,475
Good to be able to use the dim function when it lays in front of the tv and dont want it to distract the picture in a dark room.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back