Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Mar 18, 2017 at 2:21 PM Post #1,831 of 22,475
I don't know how much substancial is to you but the fact that there's essentially a downgrade button that gives you the mojo sound so you can directly hear the differences tells me there's a substancial difference. Also, I'm still not quite sure how the amplification works in these products. If the amplification is nothing more than this v/I converter and it's transparent to the dac does that mean that the amplification in the Dave is no better than the mojo aside from it having more output?

Yes, I know on paper it should blow away the Mojo. But I still have it hear it with my own ears. I have to hear if the sound quality jump is worth the lesser portability. 

But maybe I should would wait what the Chord Hugo 2 + Poly (2?) looks like before making the comparisons.

Mar 18, 2017 at 2:34 PM Post #1,832 of 22,475
I had Hugo -> Job 225 - Speakers and Hugo straight out to speakers sounded so much better. Goldmund Job line amp/integrated amp are known to be giant killers in their own right but you should get rid of Job and drive speakers straight from Hugo2.

Would love to do it, but at 85 dB/1W sensitivity, the ATC need more power I assume.

Mar 18, 2017 at 2:47 PM Post #1,834 of 22,475
I plan to connect it to my Arcam Solo Music, in order to drive speakers.
However I do suspect that the Arcam is already a weak link, with my Mojo, so I am wondering about adding a TToby instead.

I think you would need something with a bit more push. The TToby is only "100w RMS per channel @ 0.016% distortion into 4Ω" which could mean it is just 50 watts into 8 ohms for all we know, Chord is not saying... If you want a real upgrade you may wish to consider something else.

I hate it when amplifier manufacturers fail to provide basic specifications. Chord has done a poor job here:
http://www.chordelectronics.co.uk/product/ttoby/

Mar 18, 2017 at 3:28 PM Post #1,835 of 22,475

I plan to connect it to my Arcam Solo Music, in order to drive speakers.
However I do suspect that the Arcam is already a weak link, with my Mojo, so I am wondering about adding a TToby instead.

I think you would need something with a bit more push. The TToby is only "100w RMS per channel @ 0.016% distortion into 4Ω" which could mean it is just 50 watts into 8 ohms for all we know, Chord is not saying... If you want a real upgrade you may wish to consider something else.

I hate it when amplifier manufacturers fail to provide basic specifications. Chord has done a poor job here:

It's most likely something between 55 and 65 watts at 8 Ω. As long as you don't know the exact impedance curve of your speakers and the spectral distribution of your music signal it shouldn't matter much if it's 55 or 65 watts. Also consider the extremely low distortion figure at the indicated power – it's certainly a rather conservative value.

Mar 18, 2017 at 4:17 PM Post #1,837 of 22,475
I'd imagine it would be akin to something like attending one's own graduation ceremony where all your friends and family are super excited about the whole ceremony and representation of the culmination of your work.(hugo2/dave). only you however know how many solitary hours of study and sacrificing of one's social life it took to get you here. the victory felt by you would be a humbling experience and the continuation of a self reflecting journey driven forward by the happiness seen in the eyes of those around you.(us listeners)

Mar 18, 2017 at 4:48 PM Post #1,839 of 22,475

That is the nagging doubt in my mind. My Arcam Solo neo (sorry my mistake, not the Music) can drive my Focal Aria 936s at the sound levels that I listen at, much to my surprise, given that the speakers are rated at 300W max.
The TToby gets a good write up in HiFI News magazine, but even so it is rated lower than the Arcam.

The TToby benefits from the established Chord expertise in power supplies, and low distortion amplification, but I do have that nagging doubt about whether it would prove underpowered.
However there seem to be a dearth of affordable suitable power amplifiers, giving me the warm feeling that they are the exact model that I have been searching for.
Consequently I am anticipating that for the next few months, with a Hugo 2 plus the Mojo/Poly to satisfy me for my headphones listening needs, that i have no great need to rush out and change speaker amplifiers. My Arcam works, but until a challenger appears, I feel no great pull to do something. 

Mar 19, 2017 at 1:54 AM Post #1,841 of 22,475
1) Incisive= WTA..256FS........White    (FS=femtosecond?)

2) Incisive HF+...WTA..256FS?...Green  (should normally run on white or green for max. accuracy and timing unless the warm mojo sound is desired)  (white and green represent 256 WTA filter technology taken from dave) (HF+option green eliminates high freq. distortion...and?)

3) red and orange...double mojo fpga processing speed? 16FS WTA. smooth sound=orange (mojo). red=mojo high freq. roll off eliminates high. freq. distortion..and? warmer//softer sound on red and orange but lower resolution and timing accuracy than on white and green...?

4) this is by no means meant to be 100% accurate just my understanding based on what i've read. I welcome any corrections here especially where ?'s appear. as someone with no technical background i would like to have a good level of understanding of the hugo 2 as far as every day useage is concerned as a minimum.

thanks to all MK

Mar 19, 2017 at 2:30 AM Post #1,842 of 22,475
The brightness can be set like Mojo. It is fine in sunlight, and not too bright in darkness with the low setting as I have used it a lot on red-eye flights.

THERE we go.Thanks Rob

Mar 19, 2017 at 2:34 AM Post #1,843 of 22,475
any general leaning towards towards the silver or black? im fluctuating between the two.

Mar 19, 2017 at 3:20 AM Post #1,845 of 22,475
no as i live in a small flat and before that in residential study type accommodation that was the whole reason why i got into high fidelity headphone listening to start with. this continues. no speakers. i did have a dual turntable//nad amp//celestion 3 speakers when much younger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back