Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Mar 17, 2017 at 8:17 PM Post #1,801 of 22,475
Could just wait till the hugoU comes out. You know the one where they directly connect an fpga chip to your brain and sew it up under your arm. No need for led lit volume balls but I hear you'll be able to pay extra to have them added if you want. I've considered getting them as an upgrade and having a new tattoo designed around it. Have the balls appear to be planets in a solar system that is being sucked into a black hole that ends in a 1/4 inch headphone jack with some old school Sony Walkman on ears jammin some tunes.
please tell me even hi-fi geeks have a personality.Don't Tarr us with the same brush

Mar 17, 2017 at 8:20 PM Post #1,802 of 22,475
just put a tea towel over the hugo 2 and hide it's good looks that John Franks spent the last 3 years designing to perfection

Ha! So many burns cuz I asked about dimming the lights jeeeeeez. For the record I love the design.

Mar 17, 2017 at 9:31 PM Post #1,805 of 22,475
Can Rob answer the question whether a $6 Toslink cable will sound any different than a $100 glass cable for the HUGO2. Two companies sell high end Toslink cables such as The Silver Dragon by Moon Audio and Sys.Concept Inc in Canada.

Mar 17, 2017 at 9:33 PM Post #1,806 of 22,475

My Hugo¹ could drive it very well at rather high volumes when I auditioned it and still had a lot of reserve left. Just saying.

That's cool. I mean, I'll definitely try it out of curiosity, and it probably will play loud enough, but obviously Hugo 2 by itself can never do what a great combo of big ol' NOS tubes can.

The Hugo actually follows a different sonic ideal where tubes have no place (according to Rob), so you're certainly right about this. While I like the sound of tubes, meanwhile am striving for ultimate transparency and accuracy instead, with as little (electronics) in the way as possible. DAVE driving a modified, recabled and equalized HE1000 is my current dream combo. The Hugo was fine as well.

Mar 18, 2017 at 12:22 AM Post #1,808 of 22,475
Interesting that people use certain music for gear testing, i have never done that but my father always says "if it can't play metal properly im not interested" be it speakers, amps, dacs and so on. He doesn't like metal but it's his test material. I on the other hand i love metal so i do agree with him it's the most complex music I have ever come across and it's difficult for a lot gear to reproduce it can collapse under the strain of so many instruments and layers going all at the same time at a very fast speed.

Metallica's "Battery", from the original 1986 master, is always one of my test tracks. How articulate can the gear render the nuances of well recorded and layered, distorted guitars. Also, how separate is the bass in the mix. These are the questions.

When I got my DAVE I was shocked that I could actually hear the depth in the guitar layers, as some of the layers became obvious that the mic was placed at different distances depending on the layer.

Well recorded classical is the same.

People tend to limit themselves to the same "audiophile" recordings, while there are audiophile elements in just about anything. Spread the word.

Mar 18, 2017 at 1:43 AM Post #1,811 of 22,475
Would the hugo2 be also able to be attached to an amp to help drive passive speakers (as a DAC of course) playing ones digital music... Anyone planning on doing so?

Yup, use the RCA output like any other source to your amp.

Mar 18, 2017 at 2:07 AM Post #1,813 of 22,475

​Or those not concerned about galvanic isolation, get over the fact that this is high end audio and there are those that want to address galvanic isolation so as to further enhance their experience with the Chord DAC's.

I am the first to admit that your head can start spinning at the number of USB isolation and conditioning devices out there but there is a really good reason Rob includes it in his non-portable Dacs for the USB input. I've recently heard the drastic improvements galvanic isolation has made to my Mojo.

Of course the Mojo sounds fantastic as is with it's USB input, but for those that do get fed up about reading about galvanic isolation (I understand your pain too) if you have a friend that has an Intona or similar, try it in your system and you might be amazed. The problem is high speed USB galvanic isolation is pricey.

This isn't directed to you elviscaprice - I know you already have all those bases already covered. How long till the Iso Regen? I heard from an iFi dealer that their iGalvanic3.0 (which includes their own Regen tech also) is due to come out next month and the price is quite fair :) 

When are people expecting to get their hands on their pre-ordered Hugo 2? I'm guessing the UK people may be first? Any news when they start shipping and hitting the shelves? My dealer here in Australia said the first shipments arrive end of March but he doesn't know for sure how much stock he will get. Fingers crossed, otherwise I'll need to wait for the 2nd shipment.

Mar 18, 2017 at 4:02 AM Post #1,814 of 22,475
Would the hugo2 also be able to be attached to an amp to help drive passive speakers (as a DAC of course) playing ones digital music... Anyone planning on doing so?

I plan to connect it to my Arcam Solo Music, in order to drive speakers.
However I do suspect that the Arcam is already a weak link, with my Mojo, so I am wondering about adding a TToby instead.

Mar 18, 2017 at 5:12 AM Post #1,815 of 22,475
I plan to connect it to my Arcam Solo Music, in order to drive speakers.
However I do suspect that the Arcam is already a weak link, with my Mojo, so I am wondering about adding a TToby instead.
Hi, can I ask is your arcam solo music the new model and if it is yes it's the weak link and you need to sell it to me for half price, fit perfectly in my kitchen

Users who are viewing this thread

Back