Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Mar 18, 2017 at 6:23 AM Post #1,818 of 22,467
It's your Mrs who wants the lights dimmed not You and who cares about lights, it's about the music to me,if I'm honest I'm amazed it can play quality music and have the time to light a few bulbs

Nah man, the Mrs has her own WA7 and likes it dark for bedtime tube sessions too. It's not a deal breaker whatsoever about the lights I was just asking. Music first all the way.

Mar 18, 2017 at 6:41 AM Post #1,819 of 22,467
The Hugo actually follows a different sonic ideal where tubes have no place (according to Rob), so you're certainly right about this. While I like the sound of tubes, meanwhile am striving for ultimate transparency and accuracy instead, with as little (electronics) in the way as possible. DAVE driving a modified, recabled and equalized HE1000 is my current dream combo. The Hugo was fine as well.

Sweet, I hope all your sonic dreams come true. I could care less about ultimate transparency and accuracy. I happen to like the stunning precision, timing, and imaging of Chord dacs blended with the warmth, tonality, and lush holographics of seriously great tubes. To each their own dude.

I really just wanted to know if I could dim the button lights so I could look over and better marvel at my 50-75yr old tubes glowing. Like, sorry I think that's cool. Didn't mean to start a fuss. Cheers guys :)

Mar 18, 2017 at 6:58 AM Post #1,820 of 22,467
Nah man, the Mrs has her own WA7 and likes it dark for bedtime tube sessions too. It's not a deal breaker whatsoever about the lights I was just asking. Music first all the way.
I understand your question though mate I really do,I would like to switch the lights off if it improved the sound, I love hi-fi gear were you can have the display off, does it make a difference to the sound? I like to think so

Mar 18, 2017 at 9:43 AM Post #1,822 of 22,467
What cable did you settle on for the HEK?

If your question is directed at me: Moon Audio Silver Dragon. A huge improvement in terms of clarity and impulsivity compared to the stock cable to my ears. That's the only one I've compared it to, though.

Mar 18, 2017 at 10:02 AM Post #1,823 of 22,467
Sure, that is its primary use:) Did that with with Hugo, and will continue doing that with Hugo2.
Mac mini - Audiophilleo + PP - Hugo2 - Job250 - ATC SCM20 SL

I had Hugo -> Job 225 - Speakers and Hugo straight out to speakers sounded so much better. Goldmund Job line amp/integrated amp are known to be giant killers in their own right but you should get rid of Job and drive speakers straight from Hugo2.

Mar 18, 2017 at 10:04 AM Post #1,824 of 22,467
Sweet, I hope all your sonic dreams come true. I could care less about ultimate transparency and accuracy. I happen to like the stunning precision, timing, and imaging of Chord dacs blended with the warmth, tonality, and lush holographics of seriously great tubes. To each their own dude.

I really just wanted to know if I could dim the button lights so I could look over and better marvel at my 50-75yr old tubes glowing. Like, sorry I think that's cool. Didn't mean to start a fuss. Cheers guys
smily_headphones1.gif

"stunning precision, timing, and imaging" is also a very accurate way of describing my tube power amps. All the ss ones I have tried to date are sadly lacking in this department.

But as kyle1010 says, "To each their own dude."

Oh, and there is no need to dim the room lights to see my 845 tubes as they are shining brightly as opposed to just glowing!

Mar 18, 2017 at 10:14 AM Post #1,825 of 22,467

I really just wanted to know if I could dim the button lights so I could look over and better marvel at my 50-75yr old tubes glowing. Like, sorry I think that's cool. Didn't mean to start a fuss. Cheers guys :)

I drove my speakers one time straight from a bluray player using its internal DAC out to a Class A integrated tube amp and though there was so much roughness around the edges of notes the musicality was absolutely the best.

Mar 18, 2017 at 12:41 PM Post #1,827 of 22,467
The brightness can be set like Mojo. It is fine in sunlight, and not too bright in darkness with the low setting as I have used it a lot on red-eye flights.
It must be amazing listening to your own product knowing you have designed it,can you just relax and enjoy the music or are you over critical at times because it's your product?

Mar 18, 2017 at 1:12 PM Post #1,828 of 22,467
  The brightness can be set like Mojo. It is fine in sunlight, and not too bright in darkness with the low setting as I have used it a lot on red-eye flights.

love those different coloured lights...imo they add a playful and also cool-ish dimension to your products
...plus they give me direct feedback on bitrate and volume levels. i know they're not for everyone, however.
 if Spock from Star Trek were to have a mojo or hugo2, I am confident that those would be the designs he'd be listening to.

Mar 18, 2017 at 1:48 PM Post #1,829 of 22,467
Well of course the Hugo2 is the closest thing to a portable Dave because it is the best portable DAC that Chord manufacture. You can't really dispute that!
It doesn't mean it is a portable Dave or even that it is close, just that it the closest.
You can be second in a 100yrds race and still be 25yds behind the winner (no comparison with the Dave / Hugo2 comparative merits intentioned!!)
All the above just said for fun though and not to do the Hugo2 down.

I don't agree that you can say that the Hugo 2 is the best portable DAC of Chord. Other factors also come into play which is why I don't pre-order the Hugo 2 without testing out both the Hugo 2 and the Mojo + Poly.

What we already know is that the Mojo + Poly is more portable due to smaller size, has longer battery life and is wireless so it doesn't need to be strapped on your iPhone.

So the question than becomes whether the improved sound quality offsets the deficiencies of the Chord Hugo 2 in it's portability department.

If I don't hear substaintal difference between the Hugo 2 and the Chord Mojo + Poly, the Mojo + Poly is the best portable DAC for me.

Mar 18, 2017 at 2:04 PM Post #1,830 of 22,467
I don't know how much substancial is to you but the fact that there's essentially a downgrade button that gives you the mojo sound so you can directly hear the differences tells me there's a substancial difference. Also, I'm still not quite sure how the amplification works in these products. If the amplification is nothing more than this v/I converter and it's transparent to the dac does that mean that the amplification in the Dave is no better than the mojo aside from it having more output?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back