CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Sep 25, 2023 at 2:28 AM Post #24,706 of 25,842
Sep 25, 2023 at 8:50 AM Post #24,708 of 25,842
great.... I notice sometimes listening to my stock Dave a number of tracks... specifically modern pop can be very shrill... hard to listen to ... this happen to others?
I have to admit I have not had this problem for a while now. Sometimes when my dealer doesn’t have everything optimally setup, it does happen.

For me the issues were:
1) my USB source was pumping too much RF noise into the DAVE so switching to Toslink input only reduced the brightness
2) I had to be careful that my power cables are not running too close to or parallel to my interconnects, particularly the digital ones but also the analog ones. I found that Dave (and my headphones/speakers) is so revealing that these subtle things become so much more audible.
3) sometimes my dealer adds noise filtering/injection units into the power line and that can make things sound harsh or shrill, Nordost Qv2 being the worst culprit I think.

That said, I haven’t listened to every modern pop tracks out there. And totally some tracks are recorded to sound shrill which Dave would reveal. But I have never found the sound to be very shrill.

What headphones/speakers are you using? What tracks are you listening to?

Sep 25, 2023 at 8:59 AM Post #24,709 of 25,842
I have to admit I have not had this problem for a while now. Sometimes when my dealer doesn’t have everything optimally setup, it does happen.

For me the issues were:
1) my USB source was pumping too much RF noise into the DAVE so switching to Toslink input only reduced the brightness
2) I had to be careful that my power cables are not running too close to or parallel to my interconnects, particularly the digital ones but also the analog ones. I found that Dave (and my headphones/speakers) is so revealing that these subtle things become so much more audible.
3) sometimes my dealer adds noise filtering/injection units into the power line and that can make things sound harsh or shrill, Nordost Qv2 being the worst culprit I think.

That said, I haven’t listened to every modern pop tracks out there. And totally some tracks are recorded to sound shrill which Dave would reveal. But I have never found the sound to be very shrill.

What headphones/speakers are you using? What tracks are you listening to?
I recently went to a demo where they showed those Notdost power plug-ins, they made absolutely no difference whatsoever, I don't know why people waste their money on those things. Complete waste.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2023 at 11:14 AM Post #24,711 of 25,842
anyone getting a nice lift from DAVE with Farad with DAVE as DAC only? Not Dave amp. I can see how better power effects the amp but used as a dac alone anyone test??

Absolutely. I received my Farad PSUs for Dave/MScaler a week or so ago. A noticeable step up in performance. Separation, naturalness and bass performance lifted.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2023 at 2:32 PM Post #24,712 of 25,842
I just ordered some clip on ferrites for the mains cables of my mono blocks to see if it makes a difference. On that note, what are your experiences with rca cables being isolated? Are high quality woven cables without isolation sufficient? I use a pure silver cable as I liked the transparency it gives with headphones. I made sure it does not touch other mains or digital cables, but since it is a lot closer to other equipment and before amplification, I am not sure how much of the brightness is real transparency and what is maybe just added rf noise.
I will give my impressions once I tested the ferrites on my mono blocks.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2023 at 10:51 PM Post #24,713 of 25,842
I notice sometimes listening to my stock Dave a number of tracks... specifically modern pop can be very shrill... hard to listen to ... this happen to others?
DAVE is extremely transparent. Perfectly reproduces good recordings, mercilessly exposes bad ones. Optical connection will make things better, but won’t change its character completely. DAVE truly shines with high dynamic range live recordings. If modern pop music is your main interest it’s probably better to switch to another DAC.

Sep 27, 2023 at 1:48 AM Post #24,714 of 25,842
My optical cables sometimes doesn’t deliver data, or it only delivers lower resolution. It connects an Auralic Aries streamer with Dave. AES works perfectly, optical doesn’t even though the cable is new. Is the streamer the problem or Dave?

Sep 27, 2023 at 4:18 AM Post #24,715 of 25,842
My optical cables sometimes doesn’t deliver data, or it only delivers lower resolution. It connects an Auralic Aries streamer with Dave. AES works perfectly, optical doesn’t even though the cable is new. Is the streamer the problem or Dave?
Optical cables vary. Optical outputs also vary. Try the optical cable that came with DAVE?

Sep 27, 2023 at 4:30 AM Post #24,716 of 25,842
What optical cable are you using?
If it's something 'audiophile' throw it away and try stock toslink cable that came with the Dave. There were reports when optical cables from audiophile companies had problems with higher sample rates - no wonder it's a trash.

Also Dave has recessed toslink sockets and sometimes toslink cable actually its end is to thick so the cable cannot be fully inserted.
It should make a click when connected properly.

Sep 27, 2023 at 10:45 AM Post #24,717 of 25,842

If you want a very good, inexpensive optical cable, get one of these: https://www.sysconcept.ca/product_info.php?products_id=364

This cable is rock solid and never has a problem with streams as high as 24/192 and DSD64. If this doesn't work with the Dave, then the streamer is the problem.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2023 at 12:39 PM Post #24,718 of 25,842
My optical cables sometimes doesn’t deliver data
I use multible Audioquest Forest cables with a single conductor they start from €25.
Their plug fits tightly and dont wobble.

Neat fiber and plug alignnent is important for toslinks.

Sep 27, 2023 at 1:35 PM Post #24,719 of 25,842
I am very much a believer that aftermarket cables can make a difference, but sometimes they're better, and sometimes they're not - based purely on extensive listening. In the case of optical, I haven't found anything better than the stock DAVE optical cable, which transmits 24/192 with no issues out of my Holo Red. I have compared directly to the Audioquest Vodka, and the AQ cable had a flatter and smaller stage, and a touch more noise. Don't ask me how that's possible over optical - I don't know - but the difference was clear, and the stock cable was better.

Sep 27, 2023 at 2:23 PM Post #24,720 of 25,842
If you want a very good, inexpensive optical cable, get one of these: https://www.sysconcept.ca/product_info.php?products_id=364

This cable is rock solid and never has a problem with streams as high as 24/192 and DSD64. If this doesn't work with the Dave, then the streamer is the problem.

@kawhia: I have the sysconcept and it is excellent.

For an even cheaper cable try kabeldirekt which if i remember correctly even Rob Watts have recommended: https://www.amazon.co.uk/TOSLINK-cable-optical-audio-CableDirect-Gold-Clear/dp/B004YEEPNQ/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?crid=33ZIIMFIWYW9&keywords=kabeldirekt+optical+cable&qid=1695838788&sprefix=kabeldirekt+op,aps,84&sr=8-3

I have both and they both are excellent.

Edit: Rob’s post:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/watts-up.800264/page-247#post-17293040

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back