Watts Up...?
Dec 13, 2022 at 1:59 AM Post #3,691 of 4,673
It seems I don't need to add much!

To summarise - don't bother with audiophile USB cables, they either sound the same as certified generic class 2 USB cables, or they sound worse by creating more RF noise thus giving the false impression of better transparency. The extra RF noise gets into the DAC and then creates more noise floor modulation. Also, optical is the best digital connection, use KableDirekt - they sound identical to glass fibre, and are inexpensive, and works at 5m at 192k. USB can sound as good as optical, but it depends upon how noisy the source is. Use a mobile phone, or a battery powered laptop as your reference source, with of course an app that provides bit perfect data. Don't be tempted with USB re-clockers etc, as they again increase RF noise and then give the false impression of better transparency.

Give the Wave cables a go, I use Stream, as they do work and sound better for the Hugo M scaler to DAC connection. And using a powerbank on the M scaler eliminated the need for the Wave cables - but this was with optical feeding the Hugo M scaler.

Dec 13, 2022 at 3:06 AM Post #3,692 of 4,673

To summarise - don't bother with audiophile USB cables, they either sound the same as certified generic class 2 USB cables, or they sound worse by creating more RF noise thus giving the false impression of better transparency. The extra RF noise gets into the DAC and then creates more noise floor modulation. Also, optical is the best digital connection, use KableDirekt - they sound identical to glass fibre, and are inexpensive, and works at 5m at 192k. USB can sound as good as optical, but it depends upon how noisy the source is. Use a mobile phone, or a battery powered laptop as your reference source, with of course an app that provides bit perfect data. Don't be tempted with USB re-clockers etc, as they again increase RF noise and then give the false impression of better transparency.

Give the Wave cables a go, I use Stream, as they do work and sound better for the Hugo M scaler to DAC connection. And using a powerbank on the M scaler eliminated the need for the Wave cables - but this was with optical feeding the Hugo M scaler.
Thank you so much!! Now I have a game plan. :)

Dec 13, 2022 at 4:03 AM Post #3,693 of 4,673

Awesomeness.:)
:relaxed:

Dec 13, 2022 at 4:03 AM Post #3,694 of 4,673
Last edited:
Dec 13, 2022 at 8:59 AM Post #3,696 of 4,673
I prefer butter cream as my fondant

Dec 15, 2022 at 12:57 PM Post #3,697 of 4,673
Dec 16, 2022 at 11:42 AM Post #3,698 of 4,673
Last edited:
Dec 16, 2022 at 2:10 PM Post #3,699 of 4,673
Rob Watts says optical is the best connection to the MScaler.

What good solutions are there from coming out of a Macbook Pro (that only has a USB-C interface)? Are there USB-C -> Optical convertors that you all can recommend?

Would something like this work? https://www.amazon.com/Reiyin-Conve...o+Optical+Audio+Adapter&qid=1671208994&sr=8-6

While there are DDCs in the high-end price bracket perhaps more suitable for the Mscaler (?) such as:

https://www.denafrips.com/ddc

I‘m using this for Macbook > Hugo2 with good results.
It’s nice to also have RCA Coax and I2S

https://www.amazon.com/HiFiGo-PO100-PRO-Portable-Low-Jitter/dp/B0BMQD1QHY/ref=sr_1_3?crid=WXRBJ6ZTYA0C&keywords=smsl+po100&qid=1671217489&sprefix=smsl+PO,aps,142&sr=8-3&th=1

EDIT: I Got mine from SMSL.
Just noticed that Amazon seller lists it as a DAC which it’s not. It’s a DDC

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2022 at 4:07 PM Post #3,700 of 4,673
There has never been a definite advice that optical is best on Chord DACs, even if USB was perfectly noise free.
A clean USB and optical are the same up to 192kHz sampling rate.
USB can go higher, what use, I wouldn't know.
Therefore, to have a clean USB for sure, just get a Topping HS01 , it is cheap enough, effective, gives a full USB bandwidth with galvanic isolation.
Problem solved.

Dec 16, 2022 at 4:35 PM Post #3,701 of 4,673
There has never been a definite advice that optical is best on Chord DACs, even if USB was perfectly noise free.
A clean USB and optical are the same up to 192kHz sampling rate.
USB can go higher, what use, I wouldn't know.
Therefore, to have a clean USB for sure, just get a Topping HS01 , it is cheap enough, effective, gives a full USB bandwidth with galvanic isolation.
Problem solved.
Thanks -
Fascinating. I've never heard of an "audio isolator". What does it actually do?

Dec 16, 2022 at 8:20 PM Post #3,703 of 4,673
Thanks -
Fascinating. I've never heard of an "audio isolator". What does it actually do?
if a Dac has no electrical isolation from a noisy computer (Such as Chords portable devices) , the noise can get into the dac and possibly do some harm.
Optical connection has no wires, so such noise gets blocked.
The Topping HS01 is a USB isolator. meaning wires from the computer are not connected to its output.
So you can have your USB and eat it!
I mean cake .

Dec 17, 2022 at 2:23 AM Post #3,704 of 4,673
FYI
Mscaler and all Chord desktop DACs already have build-in USB galvanic isolation.
True they have isolation.. but it has been confirmed a 2pF capacitance still excist letting the highest frequencies through the digital copper inputs.
And from Mscaler were talking about 2Ghz.

It is why i went to such lengths to build a optic dualdata link

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2022 at 2:46 AM Post #3,705 of 4,673
True they have isolation.. but it has been confirmed a 2pF capacitance still excist letting the highest frequencies through.
And from Mscaler were talking about 2Ghz.

It is why i went to such lengths to build a optic dualdata link
Agree. So, that's why adding additional USB galvanic isolation won't help. Optical is the way to go.

By the way, where did you find 2pF on USB galvanic isolation? I only see Rob mentioned 2pF on DBNC side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back