CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Jul 16, 2022 at 1:25 AM Post #21,421 of 25,821
how timely. Hans has the same sentiments I do.

1. He prefers MQA to the Dave. Even if he's using Roon. Roon is not that transparent and it's way of handling MQA isn't that great too vs Zen Stream or even UAPP but then UAPP is just in Android phones and is limited by the consumer level quality of the phone. Perhaps the Grimm is just that good to make up for the issues of Roon.

edit: okay I saw the mu1 review and I can see how it takes away the poor effects of Roon.

2. He too finds methods like PGGB will give a robotic sound! This is exactly why I find HMS superior to pggb and HQplayer. Further validating ppl who find PGGB better just doesn't have a more optimized chain. It's also why HMS is one of the best choices if the upstream chain is not optimized. It's also why one will hit a threshold where a good transport can just go straight to the Dave with just 44.1.

3. The perceived SQ improvements of Hi-Res is on lower quality DACs. End of the day, CDT with a good psu will trump Hi-Res file.

4. Measurements doesnt correlate to what we hear.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2022 at 4:23 AM Post #21,424 of 25,821
End of the day, CDT with a good psu will trump Hi-Res file.
There's clearly a race condition here. All things being equal, high resolution should sound better than 44.1. Problems with 44.1 are well understood; problems that higher resolutions solve. But when things aren't equal (eg degradation in either delivery chain) then one can leapfrog the other.

A local source, such as a CD transport is a great sanity check for the streaming side of any system. If the CD sounds better, it suggests there's more work to be done on the streaming side.

Jul 16, 2022 at 4:32 AM Post #21,425 of 25,821
A local source, such as a CD transport is a great sanity check for the streaming side of any system. If the CD sounds better, it suggests there's more work to be done on the streaming side.
Yes to this and Rob Watts always suggested using the Blu mk2 as a test against streamed or ripped files to judge how good that system was against a low noise CD player.

Jul 16, 2022 at 4:57 AM Post #21,426 of 25,821
Yes to this and Rob Watts always suggested using the Blu mk2 as a test against streamed or ripped files to judge how good that system was against a low noise CD player.
Are there any suggestions for “cheap” CD player components, and cheap meaning, as cheap as possible. Would a £50 Walkman style CD player on batteries be good?

Cambridge audio cxc seems good.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2022 at 1:10 PM Post #21,428 of 25,821
Yes! Now we're talking! Farad Super 3's installed in to DAVE. Very enjoyable job it was too!
What does it sound like? Absolutely awesome! I was toying with the idea of EQ'ing my LCD-5's but no need... everything is now brilliant and and can only get better after several hundred hours of use. The synergy of my audio equipment must also have something to do with it as well. It's exactly what I want to hear without any overbearing Trebles or Bass. Spot on for for mid range as well... it's as though it was meant to be.... in my system anyway.... and for my hearing. Can't believe my luck with the coincidental upgrade of this power supply and the 'gelling' of my LCD-5's. Perfect.
The install was a breeze. Removal and replacement of the internals proved to be simple. Also gave me the chance to remove some dust under the DAVE's glass display which was there from new! Working methodically I don't think anyone will have a problem with this upgrade installation of which I highly recommend DAVE owners to obtain. No doubt owners of the SJ ARC6 DC4 will state its superior.... probably is.... but for my money... which doesn't stretch as far as the ARC6.... this is a stunner of an upgrade!

Attachments

• 20220716_120705.jpg
    20220716_120705.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220716_121823.jpg
    20220716_121823.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220716_122028.jpg
    20220716_122028.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220716_122510.jpg
    20220716_122510.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220716_124714.jpg
    20220716_124714.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220716_132403.jpg
    20220716_132403.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220716_135545.jpg
    20220716_135545.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220716_165314.jpg
    20220716_165314.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220716_165328.jpg
    20220716_165328.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jul 16, 2022 at 1:33 PM Post #21,429 of 25,821
Yes! Now we're talking! Farad Super 3's installed in to DAVE. Very enjoyable job it was too!
What does it sound like? Absolutely awesome! I was toying with the idea of EQ'ing my LCD-5's but no need... everything is now brilliant and and can only get better after several hundred hours of use. The synergy of my audio equipment must also have something to do with it as well. It's exactly what I want to hear without any overbearing Trebles or Bass. Spot on for for mid range as well... it's as though it was meant to be.... in my system anyway.... and for my hearing. Can't believe my luck with the coincidental upgrade of this power supply and the 'gelling' of my LCD-5's. Perfect.
The install was a breeze. Removal and replacement of the internals proved to be simple. Also gave me the chance to remove some dust under the DAVE's glass display which was there from new! Working methodically I don't think anyone will have a problem with this upgrade installation of which I highly recommend DAVE owners to obtain. No doubt owners of the SJ ARC6 will DC4 will state its superior.... probably is.... but for my money... which doesn't stretch as far as the ARC6.... this is a stunner of an upgrade!
Good job mate 👍🏼 Even better result 👌🏼

Also good to see you don't have any bad caps there!

Jul 16, 2022 at 3:11 PM Post #21,430 of 25,821
The install was a breeze. Removal and replacement of the internals proved to be simple. Also gave me the chance to remove some dust under the DAVE's glass display which was there from new! Working methodically I don't think anyone will have a problem with this upgrade installation of which I highly recommend DAVE owners to obtain. No doubt owners of the SJ ARC6 DC4 will state its superior.... probably is.... but for my money... which doesn't stretch as far as the ARC6.... this is a stunner of an upgrade!
Excelent stuff! Congrats on the install and thank you for the step by step pictures.

Jul 16, 2022 at 3:23 PM Post #21,431 of 25,821
Are there any suggestions for “cheap” CD player components, and cheap meaning, as cheap as possible. Would a £50 Walkman style CD player on batteries be good?

CD Transport quality makes a significant difference. For “budget” CDTs, Audiolab 6000CDT at £400 seems hard to beat and I have read on par or better than Cambridge Audio CXC at around £549 in the UK. There are of course better but more expensive ones, but based on hi-fi reviews these are the top proper “budget” contenders I have seen so would recommend to have a listen to either if available in your country

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2022 at 4:17 PM Post #21,432 of 25,821
No doubt owners of the SJ ARC6 DC4 will state its superior.... probably is.... but for my money... which doesn't stretch as far as the ARC6.... this is a stunner of an upgrade!
I am pleased you are enjoying the LPS. As I have said before, my only experience is comparing the Farad with the Qutest and then it was pretty much on a par with the Sean Jacobs DC3 which is possibly a fair bit cheaper. The Dc4 was quite an advance over the Farad but I did not compare the ARC6 which is some way beyond the DC4.

One day we will all be able to get in the same room with this kit and have some fun comparing it. Until then, keep enjoying the music. 😄

Jul 16, 2022 at 8:25 PM Post #21,433 of 25,821
Deleted.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2022 at 12:17 AM Post #21,434 of 25,821
I am not questioning that the Farad is a very nice step up for the Dave.

What I am not excited about is adding 3 more boxes and cords to my 24" x 24" table with the Dave, M Scaler, Bigger Ben or Envy amp. I understand the different voltages and seperate PS just not wanting a stack of 3 more chassis.

Jul 17, 2022 at 3:15 AM Post #21,435 of 25,821
Yes! Now we're talking! Farad Super 3's installed in to DAVE.
👍 Congrats mate! Many happy listening hours comin

Im still patiently awaiting the arrival of the components to make my supercap precharger

It will test my theory that its the SJ and Farad current reserves in their caps that give the performance boost. Not so much net RF filtering

Users who are viewing this thread

Back