CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Jul 13, 2022 at 4:45 AM Post #21,391 of 25,846
I use a two tier setup. Vibrapod feet under a bamboo platform. The DAVE then sits happily on top of two layers of vibration reduction. The trick with reducing vibrations is a simple as using dissimilar materials at each level to avoid transmission - so avoid metal on metal, wood on wood etc.
How's the difference with the two layer vs one? I've tried this but found tacky sorbothane on the device alone is more effective. But I only do headphones. Speaker setups may benefit with 2 layer as that's what was also my setup was when I had seperates.

Jul 13, 2022 at 4:47 AM Post #21,392 of 25,846
On the subject of protecting a piece of kit from vibration, I think there are two ways to go: isolation or inertia.

Either you directly attempt to isolate the kit from vibration - this involves absorbent feet of some kind or suspending the device in the manner of a good turntable.

Or you directly spike the kit to a large inert mass which cannot vibrate such as a concrete floor or a very rigid and massive stand. This is my preference.

In both cases I think extra mileage can be had by stiffening, damping, and mass-loading the casework of the device. In Chord kit this is already largely done.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2022 at 4:50 AM Post #21,393 of 25,846
On the subject of protecting a piece of kit from vibration, I think there are two ways to go: isolation or inertia.

Either you directly attempt to isolate the kit from vibration - this involves absorbent feet of some kind or suspending the device in the manner of a good turntable.

Or you directly spike the kit to a large inert mass which cannot vibrate such as a concrete floor or a very rigid and massive stand. This is my preference.

In both cases I think extra mileage can be had by stiffening, damping, and mass-loading the casework of the device.
I used pumice stones to 'decouple' the shelf from the stands. A tip from circa 2005. Lol

Jul 13, 2022 at 9:21 AM Post #21,394 of 25,846
How's the difference with the two layer vs one? I've tried this but found tacky sorbothane on the device alone is more effective. But I only do headphones. Speaker setups may benefit with 2 layer as that's what was also my setup was when I had seperates.
I never did any subjective listening tests with the two tiers - I just took vibration measurements - and the two tier had lower readings. Was also more practical as it allows me to spread the weight of some of the heavier items on my rack. Sorry I couldn't provide deeper insight.

Jul 13, 2022 at 9:58 AM Post #21,395 of 25,846
I never did any subjective listening tests with the two tiers - I just took vibration measurements - and the two tier had lower readings. Was also more practical as it allows me to spread the weight of some of the heavier items on my rack. Sorry I couldn't provide deeper insight.
Oh that's sufficient info esp with the vibration measurement to verify.

Jul 13, 2022 at 3:03 PM Post #21,396 of 25,846
For those who use the SRC-DX with the Dave: do you get noise when switching from a higher sample rate to a lower one? From 192 to 44.1 for example.
My setup is this: Roon on M1 Mac Mini -> SOtM sMS-200 ultra neo -> usb cable -> SRC-DX -> dual bnc cables -> Dave. It does the same if I add the MScaler in between the SRC-DX and the Dave.
I fix the problem by pausing the music, waiting 3 seconds and restarting the playback. I can set Roon to upsample to 192 and this will keep the issue from happening since there is no sample rate change, but it introduces clipping and I have to set the headroom correction to -3db which I hate doing.

I'm wondering if this issue is known and if there is a solution. Thanks!

Jul 13, 2022 at 4:07 PM Post #21,397 of 25,846
For those who use the SRC-DX with the Dave: do you get noise when switching from a higher sample rate to a lower one? From 192 to 44.1 for example.
My setup is this: Roon on M1 Mac Mini -> SOtM sMS-200 ultra neo -> usb cable -> SRC-DX -> dual bnc cables -> Dave. It does the same if I add the MScaler in between the SRC-DX and the Dave.
I fix the problem by pausing the music, waiting 3 seconds and restarting the playback. I can set Roon to upsample to 192 and this will keep the issue from happening since there is no sample rate change, but it introduces clipping and I have to set the headroom correction to -3db which I hate doing.

try setting Roon to 2000ms resync delay

Jul 13, 2022 at 4:17 PM Post #21,398 of 25,846
try setting Roon to 2000ms resync delay
This does not work because Roon doesn't stop the signal. The signal path indicator in Roon is stil blue after switching tracks (and waiting for those 2000ms), and as long as it's blue, the noise can be heard. The reason pausing works is because after about 4-5 seconds Roon stops the signal. Even 10000ms doesn't fix the problem because Roon doesn't stop the signal while it's waiting.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2022 at 4:26 PM Post #21,399 of 25,846

It's a compatibility issue with the SOTM streamer and the SRC-DX drivers. This is why I didn't purchase it despite auditioning 3 times. And why I'm still using my pc as a streamer while waiting for the new IFI Neo streamer that supposedly does 768 khz. No fix from SOTM sadly, it's a known issue.

My setup is this: Roon on M1 Mac Mini -> SOtM sMS-200 ultra neo -> usb cable -> SRC-DX -> dual bnc cables -> Dave
I'm surprised this even works for you, I assume you're not up-sampling using Hqplayer. It was unusable for me in this configuration. Loud static and couldn't get anything to play despite multiple restarts after connecting the cables.

Jul 13, 2022 at 4:34 PM Post #21,400 of 25,846
I'm surprised this even works for you, I assume you're not up-sampling using Hqplayer. It was unusable for me in this configuration. Loud static and couldn't get anything to play despite multiple restarts after connecting the cables.
I am not upsampling. If I am then there is no issue since the sample rate never changes so it does not confuse sotm/src-dx.

It's a compatibility issue with the SOTM streamer and the SRC-DX drivers. This is why I didn't purchase it despite auditioning 3 times. And why I'm still using my pc as a streamer while waiting for the new IFI Neo streamer that supposedly does 768 khz. No fix from SOTM sadly, it's a known issue.
That's such a shame. I like both when they work. Don't know which one to give up.

Jul 13, 2022 at 4:49 PM Post #21,401 of 25,846
That's such a shame. I like both when they work. Don't know which one to give up.
I'd say plug your mac into a power conditioner and compare it to the Ifi streamer. Src-dx +hqp made me get rid of the M-scaler + Mind2 streamer. No regrets. A new streamer will come along soon enough. Hell, Innuos is preparing one with an integrated Phoenix USB. I can't wait to compare it to the Ifi Neo Zen stream.

Jul 13, 2022 at 4:55 PM Post #21,402 of 25,846
Hell, Innuos is preparing one with an integrated Phoenix USB. I can't wait to compare it to the Ifi Neo Zen stream.
I'm on that Innuos Pulsar already... got my name down for a demo the day it's available.. sometime in September I believe. It does look to be interesting.

Jul 13, 2022 at 9:33 PM Post #21,403 of 25,846
I just took vibration measurements
What did you use to take the vibration measurements? I'd be curious to do the same with my gear. Thanks!

Jul 13, 2022 at 10:19 PM Post #21,404 of 25,846

I use the SRC-DX without SOTM gear. My chain is PC, Sablon Evo USB, SRC-DX, Double-shielded studio BNC cables and Finally DAVE. I have no problems when changing clock rates but I also tend to listen to locally based music all at the same rate (I rarely stream direct from the internet).

Any DSP done by Roon RUINS or DESTROYS the soundstage and music enjoyment in my system. So I NEVER use DSP in Roon. The complaints around Roon sound are about its DSP in all cases that I have read, the high praise of Roon seems to come from those, like me, who have DSP turned off in Roon. Of course YMMV.

Regards
GG

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2022 at 4:16 AM Post #21,405 of 25,846
What did you use to take the vibration measurements? I'd be curious to do the same with my gear. Thanks!
Simplest approach is to use an Android phone's accelerometer. There are some good apps for that. Note that some phones/apps are more accurate than others and you want to get down to as low a resolution as possible. Once I hit the limit on my phone to detect vibration, and wanted to explore more, I picked up a dedicated accelerometer with even more resolution. It's in storage right now so I'll have to dig it out for the exact details but it looks very similar to this:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/14012034695

Users who are viewing this thread

Back