CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Jul 12, 2022 at 5:25 PM Post #21,376 of 25,863
Anyone find it dumb that one has to use the Remote to put Dave on standby and also to get it out of standby? ...
The DAVE remote was always useless to me.

Because of the gym workout my fingers are very thick and I could not get my fingertips into those little holes in the metal casing of the remote to press the buttons.

So I quit trying to use it.

Jul 12, 2022 at 5:27 PM Post #21,377 of 25,863
I don't use the remote - I have no idea where it is - but now you mention it... 😂

Putting it in standby and then the dog chewing the remote would be a real problem, especially if after going into standby a restart results in the DAVE still being in standby. 😳

I switch off DAVE and all HiFi and AV equipment when not in use.

Jul 12, 2022 at 8:47 PM Post #21,379 of 25,863
mine is always in standby and the remote is used for volume

Jul 12, 2022 at 9:38 PM Post #21,380 of 25,863
My remote only ever made the volume go up and down, it had 47,000 buttons (exaggeration) and the stand-by mode never worked, so I used to turn it off at the back until I purchased the DC4/ARC6 and now like Triode User, I keep it on 24/7 unless a tropical storm is overhead.

Jul 12, 2022 at 11:31 PM Post #21,382 of 25,863
Is the point of always being on or in standby a much better sounding DAVE?

I leave my computer on sleep or standby but not any audio gear, particularly tubes.
Less chance of failure as your not constantly turning it on and off plus it will always be at optimum temperature all the time

Jul 13, 2022 at 12:11 AM Post #21,383 of 25,863
I lucked into a Sablon Evo USB cable on Ebay last week. It arrived yesterday and I've only had a chance for a quick listen. It connects from a Matrix Element H USB slot powered by a low noise lpsu to power my SRC-DX.

Quite a jump from my Artisan Silver USB cable. More space, instruments more clearly separate within that space, and it seems to tease out more rumble (within the scope of my Raals). It's too hot to go running in the evenings, so more time to evaluate but it should keep me happy until I decide if a psu upgrade for Dave is "necessary".
I have the Sablon 2020 USB and Ethernet cables. They certainly are special.

Jul 13, 2022 at 12:18 AM Post #21,384 of 25,863
Less chance of failure as your not constantly turning it on and off plus it will always be at optimum temperature all the time
When I do turn it on it is only one time a day if I am listening that night. I've been doing so many other things outdoors (windsurfing, golf, hiking) with it light till after nine that I am listening much less lately.

I may revisit the 'always on' thing in the Fall.

Jul 13, 2022 at 12:24 AM Post #21,385 of 25,863
What differences do you hear?
I hear a nice jump in clarity—esp. smaller details and tighter positioning of instruments. Noticeable with the DAVE and M Scaler, but even more so when I put Vibrapods under my 2-channel Devialet Experts.

I was dubious on the whole vibration thing, but thought I'd give it a try after noticing that all Innuos products share two characteristics: top-notch Sean Jacobs power supplies and "Anti-Vibration feet tuned to the resonant frequency of the chassis". I liked the Innuos Phoenix USB and NET products so much I thought they must be on to something...

Jul 13, 2022 at 3:32 AM Post #21,386 of 25,863
I noticed that the rubber feet in the Dave are just half circles glued into circular cut outs in the floor of the base. I was a bit surprised, I somehow imagined there was more to them.

Jul 13, 2022 at 3:41 AM Post #21,387 of 25,863
I noticed that the rubber feet in the Dave are just half circles glued into circular cut outs in the floor of the base. I was a bit surprised, I somehow imagined there was more to them.
Somehow i hear from different corners that these kind of rubbers are not bad. And dave is a solid block of aluminium.

Jul 13, 2022 at 4:18 AM Post #21,388 of 25,863
Similar really to all the Chord digital kit . . . . And yet the Dave still gets rave reviews for its sound quality (and I admit that is how I still use my Dave after all these years of owning it). Mind you I am not denying that isolation might be even better and would like to try some one day. Large sorbothane hemispheres have worked well for me on other kit even if they can be a bit wobbly so I might try them first.

Jul 13, 2022 at 4:33 AM Post #21,389 of 25,863
Large sorbothane hemispheres have worked well for me on other kit even if they can be a bit wobbly so I might try them first.
I use a two tier setup. Vibrapod feet under a bamboo platform. The DAVE then sits happily on top of two layers of vibration reduction. The trick with reducing vibrations is a simple as using dissimilar materials at each level to avoid transmission - so avoid metal on metal, wood on wood etc.

Jul 13, 2022 at 4:45 AM Post #21,390 of 25,863
I use a two tier setup. Vibrapod feet under a bamboo platform. The DAVE then sits happily on top of two layers of vibration reduction. The trick with reducing vibrations is a simple as using dissimilar materials at each level to avoid transmission - so avoid metal on metal, wood on wood etc.
How's the difference with the two layer vs one? I've tried this but found tacky sorbothane on the device alone is more effective. But I only do headphones. Speaker setups may benefit with 2 layer as that's what was also my setup was when I had seperates.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back