CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Jul 17, 2022 at 3:23 AM Post #21,436 of 25,847
It will test my theory that its the SJ and Farad current reserves in their caps that give the performance boost. Not so much net RF filtering
As someone who uses a mains filter + a power regenerator plugged into it and has seen massive performance gains from them, both in separation, and cumulatively, I would disagree. That said, I'm sure the extra current reserves would help as well.

I am not questioning that the Farad is a very nice step up for the Dave.

What I am not excited about is adding 3 more boxes and cords to my 24" x 24" table with the Dave, M Scaler, Bigger Ben or Envy amp. I understand the different voltages and seperate PS just not wanting a stack of 3 more chassis.
Same boat, I care what it sounds like up to a point, after that, I care what it looks like more. Did you get to buy the Envy amp? I'm also considering it. Curious what it's like with Dave

Jul 17, 2022 at 4:24 AM Post #21,437 of 25,847
As someone who uses a mains filter + a power regenerator plugged into it and has seen massive performance gains from them, both in separation, and cumulatively, I would disagree. That said, I'm sure the extra current reserves would help as well.
Oh im not saying that RF filtering dont give benefit.. just that SJ and Farad are aiming on clean steady voltage with current reserve.. your filters are aiming at the RF.

Thats why i have designed a Battery setup replacing the SMPS of Dave.. but havent ordered the batteries and components yet.

I first work out the Supercap option followed by a dual 850nm optical Mscaler link.

The fibers are already waiting..
20220717_102723.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2022 at 4:39 AM Post #21,438 of 25,847
SJ and Farad are aiming on clean steady voltage with current reserve.. your filters are aiming at the RF.
Actually the Genesis one has 2 torroidal psu's which completely regenerate the sine wave with a 0.3% delta. So it's the same thing really, however adding a passive RF filter in front of it still improves things.

Jul 17, 2022 at 8:26 AM Post #21,439 of 25,847
DAVE now on Model 2 Vibrapod's .... Wow! Wasn't expecting that 😳 Bass has tightened up and become more full in delivery. All because of these 'Pods... 'Well I never!'

Attachments

• 20220717_132258.jpg
    20220717_132258.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Jul 17, 2022 at 11:50 AM Post #21,440 of 25,847
I've remarked before on the benefits of good vibration isolation even for digital devices.

In particular, I have noticed over the years that reducing vibration in digital devices systematically has had the effect of stabilising the bass - rendering it more firm, distinct, defined, articulate, and tuneful, even gaining some extension.

Organ music is a great way of sussing out these kinds of changes. I don't really mean Bach, which is properly played on the small chapel organs prevalent in his day, but the massive complex chords of eg Messiaen on a thundering monster organ such as that in Liverpool Cathedral.

Spiking, sorbothanes, suspension; casework damping, stiffening, and mass-loading are all techniques that can be deployed to great effect.

For each device the stratagy must be clear: isolation or inertia. If you choose to mix them then I think you must be very certain about what you are doing.

Jul 17, 2022 at 11:55 AM Post #21,441 of 25,847
It will test my theory that its the SJ and Farad current reserves in their caps that give the performance boost. Not so much net RF filtering

I'm with adrianm on this one. If a device needs to pull, it'll pull via mains. Caps are there for smoothening and too many can be hurtful than helpful.

Jul 17, 2022 at 12:28 PM Post #21,442 of 25,847
Actually i will be trying to do the same as in TT2. There its used the same type of caps to power the amp ..so much it can even drive speakers directly.. but thats not my usecase

They act more as a battery than capacitor

Jul 17, 2022 at 12:45 PM Post #21,443 of 25,847
When the going gets tough, the first actual "pull" in a device is from the dc power rails within the device.

The device's psu sits between these rails and the mains.

If the psu cannot deal with the pull without the voltages on the power rails sagging then that's when the problems start. The ability of the mains to deliver power becomes irrelevant as the psu is now a bottleneck.

Providing the psu with extra capacitance enables it to hold the rail voltages up when the internals of the device suddenly demand more power.

Capacitors in a psu therefore can have one of at least two functions: as part of a passive LC filter to suppress ripple, or as an energy reserve to support short-term power demands.

Capacitors are expensive components. When requirements such as quality, increasing capacitance value and voltage range, and higher temperature resistance are specified the cost of each rockets.

When the psu "haircut" to reduce device cost is applied then capacitors are an obvious target for savings.

This is one reason why replacing the stock psu with a highly-specified psu very often results in startling sq jumps.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2022 at 12:56 PM Post #21,445 of 25,847
DAVE now on Model 2 Vibrapod's .... Wow! Wasn't expecting that 😳 Bass has tightened up and become more full in delivery. All because of these 'Pods... 'Well I never!'
Will you try pods under your other devices as well?

More benefits are probably there to be had.

Jul 17, 2022 at 1:01 PM Post #21,446 of 25,847
Will you try pods under your other devices as well?

More benefits are probably there to be had.
Definitely. Just gathering weight details of my other components and placing an order this evening.

Jul 17, 2022 at 2:17 PM Post #21,449 of 25,847
Just to be clear, is this in a speaker or a headphone usage context?
Headphone only.... I use KEF L60's as my speaker system which totally separate from my Headphone system.

Jul 17, 2022 at 2:44 PM Post #21,450 of 25,847
When the going gets tough, the first actual "pull" in a device is from the dc power rails within the device.

The device's psu sits between these rails and the mains.

If the psu cannot deal with the pull without the voltages on the power rails sagging then that's when the problems start. The ability of the mains to deliver power becomes irrelevant as the psu is now a bottleneck.

Providing the psu with extra capacitance enables it to hold the rail voltages up when the internals of the device suddenly demand more power.

Capacitors in a psu therefore can have one of at least two functions: as part of a passive LC filter to supress ripple, or as an energy reserve to support short-term power demands.

Capacitors are expensive components. When requirements such as quality, increasing capacitance value and voltage range, and higher temperature resistance are specified the cost of each rockets.

When the psu "haircut" to reduce device cost is applied then capacitors are an obvious target for savings.

This is one reason why replacing the stock psu with a highly-specified psu very often results in startling sq jumps.
Exactly my point 👍 good explained.

I dont want the OP rails voltage to get in the least modulated with the output signal

Users who are viewing this thread

Back