CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Nov 2, 2021 at 9:45 PM Post #18,243 of 25,834
Will the XLR out from DAVE allow use of the DAVE’s remote control for volume? Can both the RCA out and the XLR out be connected at the same time to two different amps if one is switched off?
yes to all

Nov 3, 2021 at 9:14 AM Post #18,245 of 25,834
Yes, I've been thinking of this as a volume ball, too, just like TT2.

Perhaps this is xMS e.g. a 4 million tap scaler, perhaps in a Choral range chassis, same size and shape as DAVE?

HMS has buttons for volume control, but in a new scaler this would be a volume ball?

Honestly, I'd rather have a dB readout for volume, like that seen on DAVE.
So I had another look at one of the "leak" pictures:

and I now think that the sculpted shape and smooth curves corresponds with a close-up, macro, picture of the "-" button. That "saddle" shape between the "-" and "+" buttons is also seen in this latest picture.

I have been wondering whether this latest picture was for a 50W per channel TT3 with speaker sockets, but now I think this latest picture is just Mojo 2 again.

Nov 3, 2021 at 12:34 PM Post #18,246 of 25,834
So I had another look at one of the "leak" pictures:

and I now think that the sculpted shape and smooth curves corresponds with a close-up, macro, picture of the "-" button. That "saddle" shape between the "-" and "+" buttons is also seen in this latest picture.

I have been wondering whether this latest picture was for a 50W per channel TT3 with speaker sockets, but now I think this latest picture is just Mojo 2 again.
It's definitely not a TT2 as the TT2 is chords most recent DAC. They will update every other dac before the TT2 lol

Nov 3, 2021 at 1:11 PM Post #18,247 of 25,834
It's definitely not a TT2 as the TT2 is chords most recent DAC. They will update every other dac before the TT2 lol
I'd ditch DAVE + Etude without even listening to it if there was a 50W per channel TT3 with speaker sockets. On the basis that it exceeded DAVE's transparency.

That, in my opinion, is why DAVE 2 is so far off (and may never be a thing). A new version of TT could easily surpass it.

Also a version of TT that is meant to drive speakers, instead of the TT2 hack which no dealer is going to willingly support as a speaker amp, is a more compelling product. The ~15W TT2 hack has turned into a product that Rob advises people not to use as a 15W amp, as there's too many gotchas.

TToby is 50W per channel in a chassis that's 7mm taller than TT2, The pulse array/amplifier is more efficient than an ordinary class A/AB amp like TToby so should have no trouble running in a chassis of the same size.

So that would make waiting another couple of years for the DX amps less, erm, frustrating.

Sigh, wishful thinking...

Nov 3, 2021 at 1:46 PM Post #18,248 of 25,834
I'd ditch DAVE + Etude without even listening to it if there was a 50W per channel TT3 with speaker sockets. On the basis that it exceeded DAVE's transparency.

That, in my opinion, is why DAVE 2 is so far off (and may never be a thing). A new version of TT could easily surpass it.

Also a version of TT that is meant to drive speakers, instead of the TT2 hack which no dealer is going to willingly support as a speaker amp, is a more compelling product. The ~15W TT2 hack has turned into a product that Rob advises people not to use as a 15W amp, as there's too many gotchas.

TToby is 50W per channel in a chassis that's 7mm taller than TT2, The pulse array/amplifier is more efficient than an ordinary class A/AB amp like TToby so should have no trouble running in a chassis of the same size.

So that would make waiting another couple of years for the DX amps less, erm, frustrating.

Sigh, wishful thinking...
The only flaw in your logic is that, at least to my ears, Dave plus an external amp (Pass Labs in my case) is much more transparent than TT2 driving speakers directly.

As an additional aside, I have owned a TToby amp but I did not get on with its sound quality and much prefer the Pass Labs but to be fair they are not in the same price bracket.

Nov 3, 2021 at 2:15 PM Post #18,249 of 25,834
The only flaw in your logic is that, at least to my ears, Dave plus an external amp (Pass Labs in my case) is much more transparent than TT2 driving speakers directly.

As an additional aside, I have owned a TToby amp but I did not get on with its sound quality and much prefer the Pass Labs but to be fair they are not in the same price bracket.
I had the xa60.8s (before kids). They were killer

Nov 3, 2021 at 2:50 PM Post #18,250 of 25,834

Have you tried any other Chord amps ?
Particularly I'm thinking about Ultima line.

Nov 3, 2021 at 3:15 PM Post #18,251 of 25,834
Have you tried any other Chord amps ?
Particularly I'm thinking about Ultima line.
I did have a home demo on a SPM1200Mk2 for about 3 weeks but bought a Pass Labs XA30.8 instead after comparing the two (Later upgraded to the XA60.8 monoblocs).

I have only heard the Ultima amps at shows but I am not really in the market to change amps and am happy with what I have got so have not expressed any interest it trying them at home.

Nov 3, 2021 at 4:34 PM Post #18,252 of 25,834
That's why I added the caveat, "On the basis that it exceeded DAVE's transparency."

There's every reason to expect that all of the design aspects in DAVE that make it sound more transparent than TT2 can be transferred into a "TT3" design. For example, the larger count of pulse array elements in DAVE is a feature that can be transferred.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back