CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Jun 9, 2021 at 9:07 PM Post #17,281 of 25,843
Those are the headphones I would need a external amp for, minus the SR1a’s. I don’t have those but would like to give them another shot. My first experience with them wasn’t ideal.

Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy my Luxman tremendously. Feeding it the Dave’s signal really ups it’s performance. I just have to let my ears readjust because it sounds so different than just listening to the Dave alone.

Gotcha...I'd definitely give the HPA4 a whirl...the reason I love it so much is that sonic purity PLUS the extra power.

Jun 10, 2021 at 5:25 AM Post #17,282 of 25,843
Can I swtich my DAVE back and forth between BNC input (from an MScaler) to direct USB input (from my computer) on the fly as a way to bypass the Mscaler? (This would be just using the input selections on my DAVE if I have both the DAVE and the MScaler connected via separate USB cables into my laptop.) Thanks.

(Oddly, I think I hear a little less distinct/detailed/solid bass with the Mscaler vs. what I am used to on DAVE direct. Maybe the MScaler needs break-in? Not sure. I'm trying to A/B test things just to test this. I use Meze Empyrean headphones. I'm not sure if I'm imagining things. I do think I hear some more mid and high details with the MScaler, but then I'm not sure exactly. I hear the same difference on my Grado GH1s also.)

I've had the DAVE for a couple of years now and I'm a huge fan of it but I'm new to the MScaler. I'm also huge fan of the Meze Empyreans FWIW.

Thanks.
I would be interested to know what folks have settled on for headphones with DAVE. I am hoping the Bakoon R13 will be the final answer for amplification between DAVE and the Susvara so can use one amp for all head phones and avoid a dedicated speaker amp just for the Susvara. I believe the R13 is both HP and speaker amp at 25 w per chan. I can’t afford a Riviera and want to stay away from tubes. Also, has anyone heard the ZMF VC with DAVE and compared to Utopia or HEKse straight from DAVE without an amp?

Jun 10, 2021 at 5:32 AM Post #17,283 of 25,843
Sorry, just seeing this (alas, pandemic-induced-tardiness...believe it or not, this past weekend was the first time I've been able to listen to music in 3-4 weeks).

I've only had Omega (Super/Compact) Alnico Monitors and Voxativ speakers (1.6 drivers and 4D drivers) connected to my DAVE, so I can't speak to the Cube Audio's directly (although they look very cool!)

At 92dB sensitivity, you should be fine pushing DAVE to +5 or +6 dB (with mScaler) or +3dB (without). With single driver speakers, you will hear it very clearly if DAVE starts having trouble pushing current. As you calibrate how far you're able to go, I recommend a binaural recording that you're familiar with (I listen to a lot of Chesky stuff). As things start getting pushed to their limit, that wonderful holographic all around you sound stage will start to collapse and get more granular. You can also focus on sound stage depth (depth is one of the most wonderful and most delicate attributes of DAVE).

Hope everyone is safe and well..
Can you tell us more about how you liked the Omega speakers driven by DAVE direct??

Jun 10, 2021 at 5:40 PM Post #17,284 of 25,843
I would be interested to know what folks have settled on for headphones with DAVE. I am hoping the Bakoon R13 will be the final answer for amplification between DAVE and the Susvara so can use one amp for all head phones and avoid a dedicated speaker amp just for the Susvara. I believe the R13 is both HP and speaker amp at 25 w per chan. I can’t afford a Riviera and want to stay away from tubes. Also, has anyone heard the ZMF VC with DAVE and compared to Utopia or HEKse straight from DAVE without an amp?
the bakoon is great choice, you will love it

Jun 11, 2021 at 4:36 AM Post #17,285 of 25,843
The ZMF VC closed work beautifully with the DAVE direct. I usually just listen direct with it, my Riviera does not add much. I have not compared with the Utopia or HEKse direct from DAVE. However, based on experience with other headphones, it seem easy to drive headphones play very nicely with the Dave. In particular, those with a richer tonal balance pair nicely. E.g., Spirit Torino Valkyria.

However, for more difficult to drive headphones DAVE direct is challenged - e.g., AB1266. It may also be a bit too neutral with certain headphones.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2021 at 5:00 AM Post #17,286 of 25,843
I used ZMF Auteur (so similar in terms of efficiency to VC) with Dave directly. And can confirm that for me the power delivery from Dave was enough.
On some recordings when I pushed the volume you could hear the Dave would struggle a bit - but it was so loud that I wouldn't be listening that loud definitely not the whole track.
But I can see how some people would need more power. My listening level is rather in medium range. I have sensitive ears especially to high frequencies.

Jun 11, 2021 at 5:04 AM Post #17,287 of 25,843
I use ZMF Verite Open and Focal Stellia headphones from my DAVE and they both work extremely well.

Jun 11, 2021 at 6:31 AM Post #17,288 of 25,843
I came across something slightly strange and wanted to see if others have experienced something similar with their Dave. When I was playing music, the display would go completely off after selecting a track in any given album. As the album would play, subsequent tracks would not wake the display. However, album changes would and then the the sort of behavior persisted. Admittedly, I find the always on display rather annoying but just wanted to see if this is normal or a malfunction that ought to be looked at by Chord given that this is a 2 month old unit.

Jun 11, 2021 at 6:51 AM Post #17,289 of 25,843
I came across something slightly strange and wanted to see if others have experienced something similar with their Dave. When I was playing music, the display would go completely off after selecting a track in any given album. As the album would play, subsequent tracks would not wake the display. However, album changes would and then the the sort of behavior persisted. Admittedly, I find the always on display rather annoying but just wanted to see if this is normal or a malfunction that ought to be looked at by Chord given that this is a 2 month old unit.
Display mode four turns the display on only for changes - what you're experiencing is normal.

Jun 11, 2021 at 6:57 AM Post #17,290 of 25,843
Is Normal!

Jun 11, 2021 at 7:15 AM Post #17,291 of 25,843
Is anyone using Itunes bit perfect on windows ? Or any other suggestions for playing apple music to Dave via optical? Not a big believer streamers as a sound quality upgrade (would rather not get into it again).

Jun 11, 2021 at 7:57 AM Post #17,292 of 25,843
Display mode four turns the display on only for changes - what you're experiencing is normal.
That sounds like it would be the best mode to use then - display off as much as possible.

Jun 11, 2021 at 4:16 PM Post #17,294 of 25,843
Thanks for the answer. This mode is actually preferable for me, especially at night when watching movies or burning in new cables. That screen is so bright it lights up the whole sealing. I tend to cover it with a piece of cloth.

Jun 14, 2021 at 3:58 PM Post #17,295 of 25,843
After what seemed like an endless couple of weeks, my black DAVE is finally en route to me for delivery tomorrow.
A black Mscaler and the WAVE STRATOS (soon to be replaced by WAVE’s STORM) have been patiently awaiting its arrival.

I would very appreciate a suggestion of a set of tracks to get started with. I own a pair of Utopias and Obravo’s Ra 21 C-Cu.
I will be using a Sonore optical Rendu+opticalModule Deluxe as my source/Roon endpoint.

Many thanks in advance!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back